THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What happened tonight?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:50 pm 
I don't expect anyone to defend that performance tonight.

I knew it was going to be a tough game and for me, 3 points was almost an impossible ask, but that was rough. Players looked like non-league up against a Prem or Championship team. You would never think we were two places ahead of them before the game.

We didn't fight for it. Sheff Wednesday were aggressive, pressed us hard and fought for every ball.

The only players who come away with any credit are Baldwin (bizarrely substituted when he was our best defender) and Fisher.

Anyone able to explain why we were so shit tonight?

I know I said I'd be optimistic for the rest of the season but a performance like that certainly changes things.

Big changes needed going forward in terms of how we set up against sides like them.

Eisa needs a good talking to in particular but the rest need to sit down with Manning and go through this one with considerable detail as that was a shocker.

Down to 8th. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:04 pm 

It looked like we went up there with the plan to grab a goal and then defend it. We got the balance wrong in the second half, invited too much pressure, and in doing so encouraged Hillsborough to get back behind Wednesday.

The margins are so fine though. If we're a bit sharper at that corner and Gregory doesn't score, then we're all dead chuffed on here, going on about how Manning has made us difficult to beat and added another side to our game.

Also, Wednesday just looked really strong. Seems like they're hitting their stride and I don't think anyone will live with them at set pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:09 pm 

Think this is very harsh. Thought we were excellent at doing what we were doing until the Baldwin sub.

I thought Boateng should've come off much earlier. Other than that I thought we defended well for the most part. They're a good side so the bits they exploited shows their quality over our frailties

#DonYourWhite

Turn Stadium:MK WHITE In The Playoffs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:20 pm 

Tactical suicide in the second half.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:44 pm 
Alby39 wrote:
Think this is very harsh. Thought we were excellent at doing what we were doing until the Baldwin sub.

I thought Boateng should've come off much earlier. Other than that I thought we defended well for the most part. They're a good side so the bits they exploited shows their quality over our frailties

We got lucky for the majority of the game. They should have scored from at least 2 set pieces. Their players weren't clinical finishing, either straight at Fisher or over the bar. We defended okay, but the defence wasn't the issue - we just gave nothing back and every one of their players looked hungrier and more committed to every loose ball. You're right though, the turning point was Baldwin's sub.

They had 25 shots and 11 on target. Should have been 3 or 4 past us and the score almost flatters us.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:10 pm 

Had we won 1-0 we'd all be on here battering on about how good a dogged and hard fought desperate win it was.

Its obviously hindsight, and we didn't win so it's beyond the point. But nobody is whinging had we seen it out that we could've dropped a goal or two. Just was what it was by the end. The stand seemed to be quite pleased with the performance and how hard worked they got through it for the most part

#DonYourWhite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:13 pm 
Alby39 wrote:
Had we won 1-0 we'd all be on here battering on about how good a dogged and hard fought desperate win it was.

Its obviously hindsight, and we didn't win so it's beyond the point. But nobody is whinging had we seen it out that we could've dropped a goal or two. Just was what it was by the end. The stand seemed to be quite pleased with the performance and how hard worked they got through it for the most part

We were second best all game, it wasn't even marginal. Scraping a win is one thing, but we didn't and the players can't escape criticism because they didn't hold out for a draw let alone the 3 points. Was our worst league performance of the season. At least against Rotherham we put up a fight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:22 pm 

We lost to what is essentially a championship team. We were 2nd best to everything and deserved nothing. If sheff Wed are not in the top two I would be surprised.

We can't defend that deep for 40 mins and expect to win. Sometimes 4 at the back maybe needed to control the game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:51 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
We lost to what is essentially a championship team. We were 2nd best to everything and deserved nothing. If sheff Wed are not in the top two I would be surprised.

We can't defend that deep for 40 mins and expect to win. Sometimes 4 at the back maybe needed to control the game.

That.

We weren't great. Not suggesting we were. But we played well for the most part at doing what we did. They wasted chances, we defended well from set pieces generally and I think it's time the same accept that we aren't the fluid passing side we were under Russ. We pass the ball well when we want to, we look fluid when we want to but Manning doesn't want to or doesn't trust his players to most the game for some reason.

That doesn't mean today's game was a disgrace. We were dogged and determined to defend for the most part. Like we have in a lot of games all season. Sheff wasted many chances but we also cleared a lot off chances and defended well with the block. That deserves credit but because we bottled it people would rather slate the situation rather than just admit the plan didn't work overall even if it did for most of it. We lost. I'm disappointed. But I don't think we were as big a disgrace as people are insinuating.

#DonYourWhite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:49 am 

I thought we lost it in midfield. Manning was outperformed tactically and many of our key players were too tired to compete as the match wore on.