THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: training ground hate
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:04 pm 

Why all the hostility towards the training complex? Most of (if not all) of our injuries are coming in training. Either It is the fitness of the players, the training regime is too intense or the pitch their are training on is shit. Or it could just be unlucky. Say what you will it is unbelievable the amount of injuries we get cause we train on a playing field. It has served its purpose and it is time to get with what soon will be 2020 and we need a good complex. Plus if we ever get any academy players we don't have to see them for peanuts and possibly we can hire out the pitches to the local area (if this is a thing).

I strongly believe we wouldn't be in this position if we had a good training complex and were not a lot of people on here whinging cause we didn't do this years ago?

Post subject: Re: training ground hate
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:12 pm 

No hostility here. Abour time we had one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:14 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
No hostility here. Abour time we had one.

I have read a few things on here and on the book of faces saying it is a waste of money. Well considering all injuries we get happen in training something must be wrong over there

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:47 pm 

Have we had that many injured in training?

Houghton, Healey (technically), Agard, JMT, and Cargill got injured in matches.

Reeves kicked himself, so can’t really blame methods or Woughton there.

So it’s Mason and Nombe left...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:53 pm 

I am convinced the fault lies in the modern obsession with fitness exercises rather than skill practice routines.

The other week we even managed to injure a player in the pre-match warm up exercises on the stadium pitch, so you can't blame the training pitch for that one.

Too much muscle toning probable makes them more susceptible to over straining, for which resting is required for recovery.

Used to be that players were not particularly fit, but rarely got long term injuries.

Please don't shoot me down by saying the coaches are experts who know what they are doing, because the results of their efforts would seem to prove otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:25 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
Why all the hostility towards the training complex? Most of (if not all) of our injuries are coming in training. Either It is the fitness of the players, the training regime is too intense or the pitch their are training on is shit. Or it could just be unlucky. Say what you will it is unbelievable the amount of injuries we get cause we train on a playing field. It has served its purpose and it is time to get with what soon will be 2020 and we need a good complex. Plus if we ever get any academy players we don't have to see them for peanuts and possibly we can hire out the pitches to the local area (if this is a thing).

I strongly believe we wouldn't be in this position if we had a good training complex and were not a lot of people on here whinging cause we didn't do this years ago?

Good post.
Tisdale has emphatically said that it is no coincidence we have so many injuries considering we train on clay then play on a completely different surface.
Pete W has said that had he known in the early days the importance of good training facilities, he would have given it a much higher priority than was given.
The sooner we move to the new facilities the better, no matter the cost.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:36 pm 

LinsladeDon wrote:

Good post.
Tisdale has emphatically said that it is no coincidence we have so many injuries considering we train on clay then play on a completely different surface.
Pete W has said that had he known in the early days the importance of good training facilities, he would have given it a much higher priority than was given.
The sooner we move to the new facilities the better, no matter the cost.

When Tickford Farm was the preferred option Pete went on record as saying that if we did secure the planning permission he’d have the first team training there in a matter of months. Everything else would follow. That would have involved laying a proper pitch with all the attendant costs but it was definitely the priority then to get the team out of Woughton as quickly as possible.

Is that scenario feasible at The Bowl, or are there other considerations? After all, I’m sure the players would change in a portacabin if it meant they got to work on a quality surface.

Another factor is that there has actually been significant investment at Woughton over the last couple of years. Not with a long term plan to stay there, obviously, but I do think the surface/drainage is not quite the issue it was a few years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:46 pm 

I don’t think we can lay the blame solely at Woughton, we just seem to perpetually have injured players, not just this season, so can’t really be anything Tisdale has introduced either.

We aren’t the only club in crisis with injuries, the mighty (ish) Man Utd have a major problem too and they have the best training facilities money can buy.

I just think it’s bad luck more than anything else, but the sooner we get a proper training centre the better

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:52 pm 

We aren’t the only club in crisis with injuries, the mighty (ish) Man Utd have a major problem too and they have the best training facilities money can buy.

Which again points to the modern fitness exercises being a major factor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:57 pm 

I agree with the gist of the OP, but unless I've missed something it seems a bit of a straw man argument. Where has there been hostility to the new training ground?