THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on tonight
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:52 pm 

First half was uninspiring and had little to offer, we weren't awful but offered nothing going forward. Ipswich looked like a top side but went down a gear after Keane came off injured. Second half was good but we could have been more creative, a couple of good attacks broke down from what looked like a lack of ideas, finishing didn't look amazing but there wasn't really enough attacks to judge our forwards. Brittain, Kasumu, Boateng and Houghton stood out as the better players to me, but that looked like a team sorely missing Healey and Reeves.

Overall we looked and played like a team with some key players missing but the second half performance stopped it from being a bad match against one of the stronger teams in the league. Was good to be back again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 am 

how on earth do you pick up a four-month muscle injury in a warmup? our injury record is a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:08 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Oldfarmdons wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
It's easy to say it now, but we set up wrong. 5 at the back, 4 central midfielders and a youngster alone up top. It seemed very damag limitation from the offset. I thought in the first half Ipswich were the better side, not necessarily because they were good but because we offered absolutely nothing.

I have to say hats off to Tiadale at half time. He made two changes and switched it up. Many complaints from our fanbase of the years has been that we have no plan B, well Tisdale definitely gave that tonight. We didn't get the equaliser I'd argue we just about deserved but at least we gave it a good go. Ipswich looked worried that whole second half. A slight flick, deeper cross, a defelction or more confidence and boom we score. Unfortunately it wasn't to be.

After that first half I'd have taken a 1-0 defeat any day of the week, and many of us probably would have before the game. As I well done to Tis for making the changes as we clearly got it wrong in the first half and well done to the lads for really giving it a good go in the second half.

Just a quick note on Ipswich. Superb numbers today especially on a Tuesday but I was left a touch disappointed by them both on and off the field. The noise for that many people was underwhelming other than after the goal and full time whistle. They looked organised with some clearly talented players, as well as that bellend 21, but to me they are way off the quality and class of Posh. There was a Sheff Utd in 2011ish aura about them. The keeper started time wasting on 62 minutes and the bench celebrated the win like they had just won the league. I know they have had a tough year or so, but this was a game they should be winning in a league they should walk.

Pretty much sums it up for me CD

Given the half time changes and the second half transformation I don't feel too disheartened right now, even though we didn't manage to get the point

Yip, good summary.
Although I'm not sure about giving Tisdale too much credit for going to a Plan B, when Plan A was so obviously negative from the start.
It didn't need a poor first 45 minutes to see that, as CD puts it, "5 at the back, 4 central midfielders and a youngster alone up top" was incredibly negative for a home game.
We definitely needed another striker partnering Nombe from the start, and I'm sure Healey would have done so if he'd been fit. I know Agard started on Saturday, but that was presumably because the injury to Healey came so late for a change in formation? Does the fact that we chose to go with 4 central midfielders for a home game, rather than start with Agard or Bowery, suggest a lack of confidence in either of them at the moment? If so, it's another reason why it was a surprise that we didn't utilise the loan market after Mason's injury and Agard and Bowery's average starts to the season.
That said, I'm sure after the second half improvement, and against weaker opponents, we'll start with one of them partnering Nombe on Saturday.

Yes I agree with you Bertie, we called it prior to k.o. That the team selection/tactics were wrong. Also thought bringing agard on was a mistake, for me at that point it needed either gilbey with some creativity or Lewie to be able to put some good crosses in as Williams seems unable or doesn’t want to and is hell bent on going backwards whenever possible. One further note I think our home support numbers were very poor last night, 7000 ish, maybe champions league football on tv but still very poor imo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:57 am 

Kempstondons6 wrote:
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Oldfarmdons wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
It's easy to say it now, but we set up wrong. 5 at the back, 4 central midfielders and a youngster alone up top. It seemed very damag limitation from the offset. I thought in the first half Ipswich were the better side, not necessarily because they were good but because we offered absolutely nothing.

I have to say hats off to Tiadale at half time. He made two changes and switched it up. Many complaints from our fanbase of the years has been that we have no plan B, well Tisdale definitely gave that tonight. We didn't get the equaliser I'd argue we just about deserved but at least we gave it a good go. Ipswich looked worried that whole second half. A slight flick, deeper cross, a defelction or more confidence and boom we score. Unfortunately it wasn't to be.

After that first half I'd have taken a 1-0 defeat any day of the week, and many of us probably would have before the game. As I well done to Tis for making the changes as we clearly got it wrong in the first half and well done to the lads for really giving it a good go in the second half.

Just a quick note on Ipswich. Superb numbers today especially on a Tuesday but I was left a touch disappointed by them both on and off the field. The noise for that many people was underwhelming other than after the goal and full time whistle. They looked organised with some clearly talented players, as well as that bellend 21, but to me they are way off the quality and class of Posh. There was a Sheff Utd in 2011ish aura about them. The keeper started time wasting on 62 minutes and the bench celebrated the win like they had just won the league. I know they have had a tough year or so, but this was a game they should be winning in a league they should walk.

Pretty much sums it up for me CD

Given the half time changes and the second half transformation I don't feel too disheartened right now, even though we didn't manage to get the point

Yip, good summary.
Although I'm not sure about giving Tisdale too much credit for going to a Plan B, when Plan A was so obviously negative from the start.
It didn't need a poor first 45 minutes to see that, as CD puts it, "5 at the back, 4 central midfielders and a youngster alone up top" was incredibly negative for a home game.
We definitely needed another striker partnering Nombe from the start, and I'm sure Healey would have done so if he'd been fit. I know Agard started on Saturday, but that was presumably because the injury to Healey came so late for a change in formation? Does the fact that we chose to go with 4 central midfielders for a home game, rather than start with Agard or Bowery, suggest a lack of confidence in either of them at the moment? If so, it's another reason why it was a surprise that we didn't utilise the loan market after Mason's injury and Agard and Bowery's average starts to the season.
That said, I'm sure after the second half improvement, and against weaker opponents, we'll start with one of them partnering Nombe on Saturday.

Yes I agree with you Bertie, we called it prior to k.o. That the team selection/tactics were wrong. Also thought bringing agard on was a mistake, for me at that point it needed either gilbey with some creativity or Lewie to be able to put some good crosses in as Williams seems unable or doesn’t want to and is hell bent on going backwards whenever possible. One further note I think our home support numbers were very poor last night, 7000 ish, maybe champions league football on tv but still very poor imo.

7000? If the total was 10,000 there must have been at least 4k of them, and they may have even outnumbered us - I reckon about 2k of season ticket holders were counted but didn't actually go.

The noise was good though I thought - especially second half.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:26 am 

Can’t really add too much to what’s been said. We deserved more out of the night, and I think we’d have gone on to win it if we’d got that elusive equaliser. Even in the first half I thought we looked the more drilled unit in the middle of the pitch, lots of good movement and combination play, we just struggled with them pressing us and not tracking runs.

I’m still not sure Kasumu is quite ready yet to play such a pivotal role for us. Lots of energy and good tidy play, but regularly wasteful in possession and gets muscled if they get tight to him. He’ll be a very good player for us, but once Gilbey’s match ready, he walks straight back in for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:59 am 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
What a refreshing read.
Can't remember reading so many successively reasonable and well-balanced posts following a Dons defeat on here, in months/years.

Thank you to everyone who has originated & contributed to this thread.

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:29 am 

Bowery was a different player last night that what we've seen before.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:30 am 

Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
Kasumu disappointed today with his touches, passing and decision making, and I would rather see Boateng start in that position on Saturday.

Controversial but I’ve not seen what all the hype is about with Kasumu so far. He has shown some nice touches but has played a lot or sloppy passes and his touch hasn’t been great. I can see there is potential there but im not sure he’s ready to start.

Nombe on the other hand has been a total revelation. Although he is a year older than Kasumu.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:39 am 

I like Kasumu, but he's very young and I'm not sure if he's ready to start every game. He's definitely capable to be around the first team but he's had such a sudden jump from hardly any professional football, to suddenly playing every week in League One.

We also have a lot of other midfielders that can probably offer more. Gilbey, Boateng, Mcgrandles, Houghton have all proved themselves. I even have a feeling that Tisdale may play JMT just in front of the back 5, when he eventually returns.

It's good for Kasumu to play, but maybe he should be broken in more gradually.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:28 am 

I don't get the thought that throwing in Kasumu might be a bit early but in the same vein Nombe should start every game.

I think Kasumu has done wonders! I'd have him in the side over McGrandles. I'd also like Dylan to play ahead of Agard... Keiran leaving in January anyone? ;)