THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Thoughts on tonight
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:51 pm 

It's easy to say it now, but we set up wrong. 5 at the back, 4 central midfielders and a youngster alone up top. It seemed very damag limitation from the offset. I thought in the first half Ipswich were the better side, not necessarily because they were good but because we offered absolutely nothing.

I have to say hats off to Tiadale at half time. He made two changes and switched it up. Many complaints from our fanbase of the years has been that we have no plan B, well Tisdale definitely gave that tonight. We didn't get the equaliser I'd argue we just about deserved but at least we gave it a good go. Ipswich looked worried that whole second half. A slight flick, deeper cross, a defelction or more confidence and boom we score. Unfortunately it wasn't to be.

After that first half I'd have taken a 1-0 defeat any day of the week, and many of us probably would have before the game. As I well done to Tis for making the changes as we clearly got it wrong in the first half and well done to the lads for really giving it a good go in the second half.

Just a quick note on Ipswich. Superb numbers today especially on a Tuesday but I was left a touch disappointed by them both on and off the field. The noise for that many people was underwhelming other than after the goal and full time whistle. They looked organised with some clearly talented players, as well as that bellend 21, but to me they are way off the quality and class of Posh. There was a Sheff Utd in 2011ish aura about them. The keeper started time wasting on 62 minutes and the bench celebrated the win like they had just won the league. I know they have had a tough year or so, but this was a game they should be winning in a league they should walk.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on tonight
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:58 pm 

I thought we played well tonight against a very good solid Ipswich side, worst part of the night was hearing PT saying RH has a serious thigh strain and will be out for a considerable amount of time

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:03 pm 

15 minutes in and I was expecting a thumping defeat, however we did start to find our feet after half an hour and the second half we were far the better side, without ever really looking like we would score.

Deserved a point, but the lack of creativity in midfield is still a big problem, as is the loss of Healey perhaps for a few months if reports coming out are true

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:05 pm 

Scribble wrote:
15 minutes in and I was expecting a thumping defeat, however we did start to find our feet after half an hour and the second half we were far the better side, without ever really looking like we would score.

Deserved a point, but the lack of creativity in midfield is still a big problem, as is the loss of Healey perhaps for a few months if reports coming out are true

When is Reeves expected back?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:08 pm 

leodon wrote:
Scribble wrote:

When is Reeves expected back?

Still a few weeks away by all accounts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:15 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
It's easy to say it now, but we set up wrong. 5 at the back, 4 central midfielders and a youngster alone up top. It seemed very damag limitation from the offset. I thought in the first half Ipswich were the better side, not necessarily because they were good but because we offered absolutely nothing.

I have to say hats off to Tiadale at half time. He made two changes and switched it up. Many complaints from our fanbase of the years has been that we have no plan B, well Tisdale definitely gave that tonight. We didn't get the equaliser I'd argue we just about deserved but at least we gave it a good go. Ipswich looked worried that whole second half. A slight flick, deeper cross, a defelction or more confidence and boom we score. Unfortunately it wasn't to be.

After that first half I'd have taken a 1-0 defeat any day of the week, and many of us probably would have before the game. As I well done to Tis for making the changes as we clearly got it wrong in the first half and well done to the lads for really giving it a good go in the second half.

Just a quick note on Ipswich. Superb numbers today especially on a Tuesday but I was left a touch disappointed by them both on and off the field. The noise for that many people was underwhelming other than after the goal and full time whistle. They looked organised with some clearly talented players, as well as that bellend 21, but to me they are way off the quality and class of Posh. There was a Sheff Utd in 2011ish aura about them. The keeper started time wasting on 62 minutes and the bench celebrated the win like they had just won the league. I know they have had a tough year or so, but this was a game they should be winning in a league they should walk.

Pretty much sums it up for me CD

Given the half time changes and the second half transformation I don't feel too disheartened right now, even though we didn't manage to get the point

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:24 pm 

Nombe and kasamu are still looking good and callum injected great pace and balls into the box, definitely a game of 2 halves.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:38 pm 

Healey is out for 4 months, told me tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:39 pm 

Yep, credit where credit is due - Tisdale switched it up at half time and it worked a treat.

Nombe was tireless again, I felt so sorry for him in the first half.

Kasumu disappointed today with his touches, passing and decision making, and I would rather see Boateng start in that position on Saturday.

Brittain and Bowery were great in the second half.

But for an awesome save from their GK from Houghton, we could well have drawn today. And that seemed a million miles away at half time, yet they really wouldn't have been able to argue had it ended 1-1.

Oh and the ref was dog-shite (haven't thought that for a while). And what do linos actually do? They always seem totally unable to make decisions other than offsides - even when something happens right in front of them, nor to communicate with anyone. They even wait for the ref to decide on throw-ins! Useless.

Time to start 4-4-2 against Southend?

Last edited by Dad_Of_A_Don on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:40 pm 

WellDon wrote:
Healey is out for 4 months, told me tonight.

That is very bad news.