THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:32 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Most memorable moments in Test Cricket: Bodyline, Botham's Ashes, Warne's ball of the century...

Worthy of a thread of it's own.

My personal faves (and these are all ones during my life that either I saw live, or on radio/TV etc):

Botham's Ashes
Warne's Ball of the Century (it broke the laws of physics!)
Everytime I saw Malcolm Marshall bowl
Everytime I saw David Gower bat (yes, yes, wafting outside the line blah blah - but he was beautiful to watch)
2005 Ashes
Devon Malcolm vs Saffers at the Oval in 1994
Atherton v Allan Donald (same series? I can't remember but I couldn't forget that duel)
Mike Gatting, being interviewed on TV, after a WIndies ball had flattened his nose and gave him two magnificent shiners, being asked "Mike, where did the ball hit you?"

Post subject: Re: Ashes Tour 2017/18
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:40 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Most memorable moments in Test Cricket: Bodyline, Botham's Ashes, Warne's ball of the century...

My personal faves (and these are all ones during my life that either I saw live, or on radio/TV etc):

Botham's Ashes
Everytime I saw David Gower bat (yes, yes, wafting outside the line blah blah - but he was beautiful to watch)
2005 Ashes
Atherton v Allan Donald (same series? I can't remember but I couldn't forget that duel)
Mike Gatting, being interviewed on TV, after a WIndies ball had flattened his nose and gave him two magnificent shiners, being asked "Mike, where did the ball hit you?"

Quick ones from the top of my head:

Viv Richards scoring 189 no v England in a one day international. West Indies were 160 odd for 9 and made over 270. Richards's partnership with Holding

Bob Willis's 8 for at Headingley in 1981

I'll come back with some more later

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:24 am 

My first ever Test Match (at Lord’s) Lillee and Thompson had England at 49-4, enter David Steele (who he :lol: ).
He and Greig batted for eternity. Steele (50), Greig (96), England all out 315. No helmets in those days. Fell in love with the epicness of the game that day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:26 am 

keyser soze wrote:

Botham's Ashes
2005 Ashes

By the way, Keyser, I agree with all of your list.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:58 am 

dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Botham's Ashes
2005 Ashes

By the way, Keyser, I agree with all of your list.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:00 am 

leodon wrote:
My first ever Test Match (at Lord’s) Lillee and Thompson had England at 49-4, enter David Steele (who he :lol: ).
He and Greig batted for eternity. Steele (50), Greig (96), England all out 315. No helmets in those days. Fell in love with the epicness of the game that day.

David Steele - that brings back boyhood memories. Grey hair, glasses and adopted the tactic of letting the ball hit him, rather than getting out. Proper Old Skool.

If I recall correctly, his local butcher offered him free sausages based on the number of runs or something?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:35 am 

keyser soze wrote:
leodon wrote:

David Steele - that brings back boyhood memories. Grey hair, glasses and adopted the tactic of letting the ball hit him, rather than getting out. Proper Old Skool.

If I recall correctly, his local butcher offered him free sausages based on the number of runs or something?

That’s the one. Played for Northants and, after the Lord’s test, a local Northants abattoir owner said he’d give him 1 lamb chop for each run up to 50 and 1 steak for each run after that at the Headingley Test.
Steele made 72 in the first innings and 92 in the second :)
Agree about Gower’s batting.
And, of course, the Botham Test.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:42 am 

Clive Lloyd - first world cup final.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:50 am 

Not Test cricket, but had the ‘pleasure’ of seeing Sangakkara’s magnificent 100s against Yorkshire this summer (all 3 of them). What a sublime player.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:50 am 

dons50 wrote:
Clive Lloyd - first world cup final.

Oh yes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next