THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:28 am 

THE APL PREDICTION LEAGUE & PREVIEWROTHERHAM
DECEMBER 23rd
The first of four games over ten days in the festive season, and in most people’s eyes the yard stick or the definitive moment, where people take stock of the season so far.

I don’t think I’m being unfair when I say we are only slightly better off than where Robinson left us in terms of results, points, performance, goal scoring etc. Now I’m not saying I want Robbo back, but its only natural people are going to make comparisons and judge Neilson on what he’s achieved so far, and in my opinion not much, although there will be people that disagree, but it’s hard to argue otherwise based on the facts.

We have starting on the 30th of this month the first in a trilogy of games that are likely to sway people’s opinions in the shape of Peterborough, Northampton and AFC, and with not much to shout about so far, this season, other than the victory over AFC at the Cherry Red Records Stadium, poor results in these games could be a defining moment in Neilson’s tenure at SMK.

Equally, positive results could be the kick start he needs, and will in the least keep those fans that are undecided, onside for the time being.

Contrary to public belief I do like the guy, showing raw emotion is obviously not in his makeup, which is something I find hard to understand, but I guess when we have moved from one end of the spectrum with the media whore Robbo was, to the monotone Neilson, it’s no wonder people say he is not connecting with the fans, although I have seen attempts lately to heal that divide, but you could argue is that important ?

I do hope Neilson and the team turn it round, I get no fun driving thousands of miles each season with likeminded fans to suffer another written off season, we have no right to succeed I know, but the joke is wearing a bit thin after three years.

I do though wonder if the club and management can be held responsible for our unrealistic expectations of how a new season is going to go, for instance, do you think you would have been more understanding and less critical if Neilson had said from the get go, this is a two to three-year project, which in case you didn’t realise is his new position, or do you think your expectations have been heightened when Neilson said I’m looking at automatic promotion this season.

Some people are quick to criticise the fans, but do they understand why some people are unhappy.

Anyway, without further ado, lets look at our trip to Rotherham a few days before Christmas.

But before that, I would just like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas, and thanks for playing, or in the very least taking the time to read the weekly threads.

Merry Christmas

8-) WellDon

THE STORY SO FAR
Rotherham are currently in 10th position with a league record of PLAYED 22, WON 9, DRAWN 3, LOST 10 GF 36 & GA 32 with 30 POINTS, their results in chronological order as follows.

Fleetwood 2 Rotherham 0
Rotherham 5 Southend 0
Peterborough 2 Rotherham 1
Rotherham 0 Charlton 2
Portsmouth 0 Rotherham 1
Rotherham 3 Bury 2
Rotherham 5 Walsall 1
Bradford 1 Rotherham 0
Rotherham 5 Oldham 1
Blackburn 2 Rotherham 0
Rotherham 1 Northampton 0
Rochdale 0 Rotherham 1
Rotherham 2 Scunthorpe 0
KFC Chicken 3 Rotherham 1
Oxford 3 Rotherham 3
Rotherham 1 Gillingham 3
Doncaster 1 Rotherham 1
Rotherham 1 Shrewsbury 2
Rotherham 1 Wigan 3
Bristol Rovers 2 Rotherham 1
Blackpool 1 Rotherham 2
Rotherham 1 Plymouth 1

THE MANAGER
A new one for us, and in his first managerial appointment, its Paul Warne aged 44, born in Norwich.

As a midfielder/striker he played 526 games scoring 65 goals for Wigan, Kettering, Rotherham, Mansfield, Oldham, Yeovil and then back to Rotherham finishing his playing career in 2012.

He joined the coaching staff at Rotherham until November 2016 where he took over as caretaker manager following the resignation of Kenny Jackett. In January the following year he was made the full-time manager until the end of the season, and despite the inevitable relegation from the Championship he was given a 1 year rolling contract.

His managerial record stands at PLAYED 57, WON 15, DRAWN 8, LOST 34 with a WIN RATIO of just 26.8%, but I will add that those figures are tainted with his Championship record of just 6 victories in 35 games.

FORMER MANAGERS
To name a few, Neil Warnock, Steve Evans, Tommy Docherty, Ian Porterfield, Emlyn Hughes, Norman Hunter, Archie Gemmill, John McGovern, Ronnie Moore, Mick Harford and Mark Robins.

FORMER PLAYERS
Again naming a few, Kieran Agard, Richie Barker, Febian Brandy, Leo Fortune-West, Shaun Goater, Tony Grealish, Jon Harley, Scott Minto, Adam le Fondre, Jon Otsemobor, Tom Pope, Mark Randall, Neil Warnock, Matt Tubbs and James Tavernier.

THE STADIUM
Rotherham Utd play at the 12,000 all seater AESSEAL New York Stadium which was opened in 2012 and is situated close to the town centre, SAT NAV S60 1AH, and is a 117-mile journey from SMK.

We are normally in the Mears Stand at one end, but that could change as they tend to close that stand when a small away following is expected.

All the usual football fayre on sale here, plus alcohol in the ground, but being close to the town centre there are plenty of food outlets and watering holes nearby.

Many away pubs, or at least away friendly are the Bluecoat (Wetherspoons) or the Rhinoceros near the station. Others include the Bridge Inn which serves a wide range of beers from the Old Mill Brewery, and the Cutlers Arms and the New York Tavern which serve local Chantry’s beers.

The local station is Rotherham Central which is just 5 minutes from the ground, and I think requires a change at Sheffield.

Parking is pretty good both at the stadium and nearby, and reasonably priced, make sure you look out for the old Millmoor ground on your way in as most of the private parking is situated in that area.

THE MASCOT
Miller Bear who does like to stir up the home fans to generate a pretty good atmosphere.

FAMOUS FANS
To me to you, the Chuckle Brothers and World Cup ref Howard Webb.

HELLO AGAIN
It’s the Rolls Royce of football, “I just can’t get enough of” Darren Potter who played 267 games for the Dons scoring 12 goals. He’s only played 9 times this season, struggling with an Achilles injury, and at the time of writing he hasn’t played since a 23rd minute injury forced him off against Bristol Rovers.

SHOOTERS BOOTS
Top scorer this season for Rotherham is Kieffer Moore with 13 goals in all comps.

CURRENT MATCH ODDS
Rotherham 17/16 (M Bet) Draw 12/5 (BetFred) MK Dons 14/5 (Sun Bet)

LAST TIME ROUND
Saturday 9th April 2016 – MK Dons 0 Rotherham 4 (Championship)
Team – Cropper, Lewington, Walsh, Baldock, Kay (Maynard), Forster-Caskey, Potter, J Williams (Carruthers), Bowditch (Baker), Murphy, Revell.
Unused Subs – Burns, Long, Spence, Powell
Goals – Derbyshire (54 seconds), Best 17’ (pen), Broadfoot 54’, Smallwood 79’
Referee – Iain Williamson (5 yellows)
Attendance – 13,048
League Position at time of Fixture – Dons 22nd, Millers 21st.

HEAD 2 HEAD
2015/16 – MK Dons 0 Rotherham 4
2015/16 – Rotherham 1 MK Dons 4 (Hall, Own Goal, Bowditch, C Baker)
2013/14 - Rotherham 2 MK Dons 2 (McLeod, Kennedy)
2013/14 – MK Dons 3 Rotherham 2 (Williams, Reeves, Bamford)
2007/08 – MK Dons 1 Rotherham 1 (Gallen)
2007/08 – Rotherham 0 MK Dons 1 (Wright)
2005/06 – Rotherham 0 MK Dons 0
2005/06 – MK Dons 1 Rotherham 1 (Kamara)

YOU’VE GOT NO HISTORY
The club’s roots date back to 1870 as Thornhill FC, later Thornhill Utd playing in the Sheffield & Hallamshire League, but the main team in the area were Rotherham Town who later at the turn of the century went out of business. Thornhill on the rise changed their name to Rotherham County and became the big club in the region, meanwhile Rotherham Town reformed to play in the Midland League, but it soon became apparent the area could not sustain two teams.

A public meeting was called, the two clubs merged and Rotherham United was founded in 1925 with the nickname the Millers. Now playing at the New York Stadium, it previously played at Millmoor for over 100 years in its current and former guise, the Millers also played at the Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield for 4 seasons, 2008/2012, whilst their new home was being built.

The Millers joined the Football League in 1925 and have spent the bulk of its existence in the now League 2 and League 1. The Millers featured in the inaugural League Cup final in 1961 losing 3-2 on aggregate to Aston Villa, and won the Football League Trophy (Auto Windscreens) in 1996 beating Shrewsbury 2-1.

In 1955 the Millers achieved their highest ever finish being 3rd in the 2nd Division, when only goal difference denied them a place in the top flight, finishing level on points with Birmingham and Luton.

Well that’s it really, there is tons more on Rotherham, administration , points deductions, Creditors Voluntary Agreements, forced out of their spiritual home by landlords, tallest floodlights, unfinished stands at the old Millmoor ground, but time is pressing and I’ve been doing this for 2 hours already.

PREDICTION
Ok it’s your turn now, all you must do is predict the score and the 1st MK Dons Goalscorer, or if you think the Dons will fail to find the net you can put NO SCORER.

You have until 1 hour before kick-off to make your prediction, you can edit your prediction as many times as you like, but again the deadline stands.

EXAMPLE

Rotherham 1 MK Dons 1
MKDFGS – Osman Sow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:53 pm 

Rotherham 2 MK Dons 3

FGS Aneke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:50 pm 

3-1 Dons
Agard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:23 pm 

Rotherham 2-2 mk dons

Fgs agard