THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:57 pm 

Things are a little slow on here ce soir so I just thought I'd pass on a review I've come across about a new box of fireworks that has appeared on the market. Apparently available at all good (third division) retailers.

The Deano. Used to produce a satisfying ‘thump’ when in the vicinity of rival displays, knocking their rockets off course. PR from the manufacturers on this firework has not been entirely consistent and some are not sure if it is still actually included in the box or not.

The Tshibola. Definitely not in the box any more.

The Chuks. There was a long lead time in getting this jumping jack ready to be put into the display. Whereas ‘The Powell’ (see box from a couple of years ago) blundered around the garden knocking all and sundry around in a disturbing manner before fizzling out and/or falling over into the compost heap, this one jumps about with much more poise, skill and effect. Some criticism that there has been a design flaw in it - apparently sometimes seems to want to be the only firework that matters. However the display would undoubtedly be disadvantaged if it were removed at this point.

The Upson Having inspected this firework at close quarters I can personally vouch for the fact that it definitely wants to perform well. But.... it can be inconsistent. Some very good effects that spectators have been mighty grateful for although regrettably, even when placed in a promising area, this firework can go off at a tangent to the intended target. Your neighbour’s greenhouse could well be in danger. Check your insurance cover.

The EEL When properly lit this one can soar high into the sky and be a very useful addition to the display. However quality control is not all it might be and, sometimes, once lit the firework’s effect only travels a disturbingly short distance leading to a potentially dangerous situation. Parents with children you have been warned.

The Nesbitt.
Looks almost too small to be in the box at all. However don’t be put off by the size and strange looking touch paper on the top of it; this sparkler can lift a tired looking display very nicely. A useful firework that has the added advantage that it can be used to get the crowd chanting and thus build up the atmosphere at your display.

The Nicholls
. The previous firework of this type produced a strange sort of loud ‘rowk! rowk!’ noise very frequently. This one tends to produce sounds that are best not heard by those watching the display from the Family Corner.

The Ariyibe Delighted to have this firework in the box and I doubt it will be included next year. It darts around cleverly producing, in the opinion of some spectators, some of the best effects seen recently. Clearly destined for a larger and more expensive display. Enjoy it while you can.

Finally...Some suggestion that the master of the display has either chosen the wrong fireworks and/or lights them in the wrong order. The consensus is certainly that the display not been as spectacular as expected. Whether he will light the blue touch paper and retire is a subject of some debate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:06 pm 

And there's the Cisse. Slow moving and in danger of being caught underfoot, but when it explodes it's a delight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:12 pm 

The Chuks has undergone slight redesign to fit more seamlessly into the display of supporting fireworks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:49 pm 

For whatever reason the whole darn box has got damp and won't go off properly. :(