THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Rangers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:13 pm 

Scottish football has a lot to be resolved. Says it all when 2 or 3 years ago the best League was quite literally the second division with more viewing figures than the Premiership when Rangers, Hearts and Hibs and Falkirk were fighting it out. Even attendances were higher some weeks.

It’s mental what a shit state Rangers are in but they’ll get back to it eventually I have no doubt. Like it or lump it a team can only dominate for so long. When Celtic were winning the League without Rangers in the division fans were complaining and booing a lot of weeks despite being a ridiculous amount of points clear. Ronny Deila wasn’t fancied and was seen to have done a crap job despite wins at the top. When Brendan leaves for another job in England inevitably, Celtic will appoint a crack manager reflecting on how I fancied Scotland is as a footballing country and it’ll be a more level playing field.

You get some cracking games up there but at the same time you get some real real dross. But I think you could say that about this country as well. You get shit games between Port Vale and Newport County etc. I know what I’d rather watch on the telly. Hearts, Aberdeen, Rangers, Hibs, Celtic against each other over some Football League dross. I think we in this country are very snobby about our level. It’s incredibly shite more often than it’s pleasant.

Not ten years ago, Rangers were in the UEFA Cup final taking 80,000 fans down to Manchester. I wanted them to win that day. And was disappointed they didn’t. 4/5 years before that Celtic were in Seville. And before that Scottish football was good household viewing in the UK. Since 2012 when’s Rangers got fucked it’s taken a massive back step.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 pm 

Alby wrote:
You get some cracking games up there but at the same time you get some real real dross. But I think you could say that about this country as well. You get shit games between Port Vale and Newport County etc. I know what I’d rather watch on the telly. Hearts, Aberdeen, Rangers, Hibs, Celtic against each other over some Football League dross. I think we in this country are very snobby about our level. It’s incredibly shite more often than it’s pleasant.

I went to a few games when I was up in Edinburgh. Hearts v Aberdeen was dogshit. Nicky Maynard played ffs. Give me Rotherham v Plymouth any day of the week

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:57 pm 

BristolDon wrote:
Alby wrote:

I went to a few games when I was up in Edinburgh. Hearts v Aberdeen was dogshit. Nicky Maynard played ffs. Give me Rotherham v Plymouth any day of the week

Aye let’s judge the one game you watched live as a judgement on football in a country.

Not to mention Hearts are fucking shite

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:02 pm 

Alby wrote:
BristolDon wrote:
Alby wrote:

Aye let’s judge the one game you watched live as a judgement on football in a country.

Not to mention Hearts are fucking shite

Watched three Hearts games and a couple of Dunfermline game. Plus a good few on TV. So more like 10 games or so. More than enough Scottish football for anyone to see how bad it is.

And agreed on Hearts being shite. And they're better than Hibs, so shows how low the standard for the rest of the league is

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:24 pm 

BristolDon wrote:
Alby wrote:
BristolDon wrote:
And they're better than Hibs

:lol: :lol:

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 pm 

Croatia produced a few decent players over the years but I’d wager that their League is shit too. Same as Sweden’s League. And Denmark. Among others.

They have a “shit League” because by comparable standards to a lot of countries they’re a smaller nation with poor funding and poor backing by the appropriate people to make the game better and stronger. Why does nobody ever talk about how crack the Irish League is? Or the Welsh League?

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:16 am 

I wouldn’t say they’re awful to watch. It depends on your mindset. I follow Hibs as we all know. Have done pretty much my whole life as my Dads a Hibs fan. And it’s always been miserable purely because they were shit and in the shadow of Hearts. The past 5 years (Weirdlt as it includes a dismal relegation season) have been great. And you might not get the quality in Scotland, budget constraints and whatnot but you can’t say there’s not moments that are as dramatic to those who follow Scottish football as the moments we have in English football.

I witnessed Hibs get torn apart by 67 game unbeaten Celtic on Sunday. 2-0 up routine Celtic victory l. Out of nowhere an ex Celtic player pegs one back for Hibs and then an academy graduate equalises out of nowhere. And with pretty much the last kick of the game Celtics keeper drops a ball and Hibs are about to end that historic run but it’s cleared off the line... Madness. And I’d ask anyone to watch the last two Scottish cup finals and tell me they’re awful games...

It’s not a good League. Nobody is more aware of that than the Scottish but I don’t see the obsession with English people always moaning about it. They’re a third rate nation with a third rate League? What’s the surprise? But I can say with great confidence there are some players in Scotland who’d improve us. Jon McGinn at Hibs is better than Ben Reeves imo. Absolute baller. And Jason Cummings now at Forest would’ve been a class signing for us.

I think some of us in England are a tad over doing the praise of League One especially. It’s been a dismal League for a few years now. I can’t tell you the amount of people I know who are Premier League fans, genuine Premier League fans who go to games who watch League One football and think it’s appalling and boring.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:07 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Alby wrote:
I wouldn’t say they’re awful to watch. It depends on your mindset... It’s not a good League. Nobody is more aware of that than the Scottish but I don't see the obsession with English people always moaning about it. They’re a third rate nation with a third rate League? What’s the surprise? But I can say with great confidence there are some players in Scotland who’d improve us. Jon McGinn at Hibs is better than Ben Reeves imo. Absolute baller. And Jason Cummings now at Forest would’ve been a class signing for us.

No, no, I'm mourning not moaning. I'm not criticising the Scottish game from any superior English mindset. I have Scottish relations, spent many happy times up there, and have followed Rangers and Motherwell from afar for a number of years. My frustration with the current state of the domestic and international game is because I want it to get better, and for the top-flight to get back to the higher standards of some previous eras. I've never compared it to the English Leagues, just to its own past. But it's all cyclical and hopefully there'll be another strong era soon.
You're right about McGinn and Cummings. Also Barrie McKay a good signing for Forest, while Celtic have Tierney and Dembele. And Pawlett and Nesbitt look good signings for us at league one level. So there's still some talent there, but to a lesser level and amount than of old and that's all that I'm mourning.

Your point "I've never compared it to the English Leagues, just to its own past" is the key one for me, and why dragging the Welsh league in to the argument is irrelevent. The Welsh league has always been pony; the Scottish league used to be much better.

Scottish football is further proof that trickle down economics doesn't work and actively harms the majority.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:12 pm 

All the scottish premiership is missing is rangers being back at their best and 1 of the scottish powerhouses doing well in europe again and being genuine contenders for the uefa cup. The rest of the league will then follow suit and there would be some genuine mystery and excitement.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:56 pm 

Pulis...

FFS, aren't things bad enough already!