THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:10 am 

APL PREDICTION LEAGUE RESULTSBURY
I’m not sure what I thought about this game on the journey up to Greater Manchester, Bury the pre-season favourites to win the title, no I couldn’t believe it either, but they were, anyway, after a poor start to the season seemed to be turning things around, a draw away to Charlton, and a 3-0 home win against Oxford evidence of that.

I guess then in my mind avoid a defeat, and in the very least make the journey home a bit more palatable, so it was a surprise to see the MOTM against the Wobblers George Williams warming the bench. We came up with the theory that on fire Bury striker Beckford may need a more imposing figure in the shape of EEL to babysit him throughout the afternoon, whether that was right or not, who knows, but that was just about how it happened and the Dons defence remained intact for the third game in a row.

Sow continues to be a threat up front, and grows in strength every game, good in the air, good footwork, strong on the ball, and given a chance he will pop them away.

It’s getting a regular thing now, but I think Nicholls has just about laid the ghost of David Martin to rest, yet again he pulled off some good saves, including a superb one-handed stop in the 2nd half that most of the Bury lot near us were celebrating as a goal until he reached out to tip it round the post.

While I’m giving my two pence worth, we scored from a corner, a header no less, hold the front page of the Citizen, get me Toby Lock on the phone, joking aside, for years our corners were laughable, in fact a corner to us was possibly where we were most vulnerable to a counter attack as once again the corner soared past everyone and set the oppo off on a Calvary charge towards our goal with our defenders struggling to get back. We are a big imposing side these days, with some good lads in the air, so we must make this aspect of the game count from now on if we are going to continue to rise the league table.

All in all I thought we were good value for the win, at times we were sublime, a point echoed in this week’s VFTOS.........I’ll leave you with this, great to see Chuks return, and unlucky not to score, Gilbey needs to learn to stop picking up needless yellow cards, again yesterday for kicking the ball away and giving the ref an earful, needless, and finally, was I the only one that felt a degree of sadness to see Lewie warming up alone, it really was a sad sight.....hopefully he will get a runout on Tuesday.

The final, final word to the travelling fans yesterday, never stopped the singing and the banter all game, top effort.

Looking at the APL this week, I’m pleased to say that most of the usual suspects have returned and managed to get a prediction in, in fact some were so keen they predicted twice, be careful I may not be so lenient in the future.

So, on the points front, being a Double Bubble game has really shaken up the league table with points flying about all over the show, with plenty of you being rewarded for predicting Sow would get the opener, 20 points, most coupled that with a Dons victory and get an additional 4 points, but Scribble went one better predicting a 2-0 win and Sow and hits the jackpot with 30 points in total, plus a mention in the APL Hall of Fame.

There were 46 predictions this week, with 26 of you scoring points and in total there were a massive 340 points scored......and APL record.

Below is the current league table, and it makes for very interesting viewing, Southstander remains at the top, but there are some APL giants massing behind him.

Don’t forget there is no APL for the Stevenage game on Tuesday, but look out for the Bradford APL thread coming out soon.
Have a good week folks.

8-) WellDon.

APL Hall of Fame
2 – Southstander, MK59DON
1 – mkdonsdan4, BuzzardDon, kempstondons6, ChaChaDon, Dazzerdon, epdon, Kowalski, Grundit, Sparky, Bloxham Don, Just A Don, Woburn, Camdenite, Scribble

APL League Table 2017/18
43 POINTS - Southstander
42 POINTS – MK59DON
41 POINTS – SG19Cowshed das Boot
40 POINTS – kempstondons6, Camdenite, Woburn
38 POINTS – epdon
36 POINTS – Scribble, Bloxham Don
35 POINTS - familymkdonsfan
30 POINTS – Bex’s Dad, Bill, Sparky
28 POINTS – mightydons, Nobbydon
27 POINTS – Dunstable Don
26 POINTS – Kowalski, OldStratfordDon
24 POINTS – Just A Don
23 POINTS - Grundit
22 POINTS – BuzzardDon
21 POINTS - FilthyDon
18 POINTS – Greg, Dazzerdon
17 POINTS – mkdonsdan4
16 POINTS – edmundpwb, APMKDon, TomMac&Ernie, Dons50, JackDon
14 POINTS – ChaChaDon, Scumarmy
12 POINTS – Fraser
10 POINTS – Croydon, WellDon, Blodwyn, leodon
9 POINTS – Third Team Lucky, Locutus, yorkie, MBenn90455, MKAylesburyDon, Zippy
8 POINTS – donnette, Matthew, chrisdon, DonsDuck, Cheffy1, Don gal, silverous, BearHidesBoy64
7 POINTS – ExtraTime, MKBuffalo
6 POINTS – Dad_of_A _Don, russybcool1, Concretecowbelle, Steampunk Don, Oldfarmdons
4 POINTS – Zameen, Ten-Don, Adebayo Akinfenwa, OakeeDokee, Steelback Don, DBDON
2 POINTS – BetterCallSaul, DippyDon, Peterr