THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:55 pm 

Wrong thread whatever but I feel it’ll be more seen here. You’re welcome to move it, mr moderator.

I was listening to talkSPORT a few days ago and the general talk was about why Pardew is getting away with it and not getting slammed for a pretty dreadful start to his reign. A lot of Baggies’ fans were pretty much agreed that they’re going down and have seen enough passion, commitment and an improved style and set up that’ll stand them in good stead in the Championship. They didn’t want him out because the other options are so limited and that this was a mess set up by someone else instead of him - and was always going to be hard to turn around. Most sounded confident what they’ve seen so far would be fine to bullet bite and see what he could do in the Championship.

One bloke said the stuff was that bad under Pulis that the fans could see where they were going last season. And it was written in stone but the higher ups couldn’t see it. They wanted him out - general consensus any way. But it was probably left too late so now they owe it to Pardew to get a squad together in a lower league or not and see what he can do.

Pretty similar to us. But I was impressed at how many people were really behind him given his poor start. But they’ve seen enough to picture what’ll happen long term. Not just for this season.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:58 pm 

Good post, although Pardew is an experienced manager.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:14 pm 

But he’s also a manager who doesn’t inspire much optimism when appointed like DM was to some. Generic manager getting generic job.

He flopped at Palace, don’t let the cup final fool you and Newcastle fans became increasingly and universally tired of him over time. He’s lost a lot of credibility.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:28 pm 

Alby wrote:
But he’s also a manager who doesn’t inspire much optimism when appointed like DM was to some. Generic manager getting generic job.

He flopped at Palace, don’t let the cup final fool you and Newcastle fans became increasingly and universally tired of him over time. He’s lost a lot of credibility.

Everywhere else he has been he has had a great immediate impact then tailed off. Newcastle and palace were very good for a while under him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:30 pm 

For a while...

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Gridsy wrote:
Alby wrote:

Everywhere else he has been he has had a great immediate impact then tailed off. Newcastle and palace were very good for a while under him.

I blame the fans for it going wrong at Newcastle. They are a weird, insular bunch who only really want Geordies there and they hated Pardew from the start for being a Southerner. Because he did so well for a couple of years they just about put up with him. But as soon as results started to go bad he and his family were subjected to unacceptable abuse, even death threats. Pardew managed to recover the situation and results had improved immensely when he got the chance to return to Palace and he took it to go to a place he felt safe and wanted.
The Newcastle fans rightly get praise for turning out in huge numbers, but there are many things about them that I really don't like.

Couldn't put it better myself.

The way they treated Roeder and Kinnear for example.... and they thought Shearer (no experience) would keep them up because it was Shearer. He lost all 3 games in charge.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:49 pm 

Gridsy wrote:
The way they treated Roeder and Kinnear for example.... and they thought Shearer (no experience) would keep them up because it was Shearer. He lost all 3 games in charge.

Shearer was in charge for 8 games actually, at the end of the season. He only won one and they were relegated. Something that I’ll always remember for the very reasons you have given.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:40 pm 

Er, didnt our assistant work under Pardew?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:45 pm 

He’s done a good job. They just don’t want him long term with the style he plays.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:45 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Unrelated post to the thread, but...

I honestly don't understand why Everton fans want Allardyce out to the extent of taking banners to yesterday's game.
He's an established, competent manager.
And, despite not having a summer window, he took over them in November when they were 13th (and had been 18th) and has got them up to 8th.
Considering the highest they could realistically finish was 7th, and they wasted the first 4 months of the season, I'd say he's done pretty much as well as any manager could and so deserves a summer window to try and push them on to the next level.
Who do Everton fans think they would employ that would do a better job?

This