THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Checkatrade
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:45 am 

I do recall going to a meeting at Stadium MK a few years ago when PW was asked this question. His reply was something along the lines of, in the early stages we lose money but in the latter stages it is certainly worth being in it. (It was of course the JPT then).

Just one further point, the JPT was my first game watching MK Dons, a mate of mine asked me if I wanted to go. The next season I bought a season ticket and have had one ever since so if you put that into the equation there maybe others like me, who knows?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:02 pm 

Kempstondons6 wrote:
I do recall going to a meeting at Stadium MK a few years ago when PW was asked this question. His reply was something along the lines of, in the early stages we lose money but in the latter stages it is certainly worth being in it. (It was of course the JPT then).

Just one further point, the JPT was my first game watching MK Dons, a mate of mine asked me if I wanted to go. The next season I bought a season ticket and have had one ever since so if you put that into the equation there maybe others like me, who knows?

Is he still your mate? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:22 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Kempstondons6 wrote:

Is he still your mate? ;)

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:45 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Congratulations to the Cowley brothers on yet another impressive achievement in their so far continually upward managerial career. The Lincoln fans and players sound absolutely delighted to be going to Wembley for the first time in their 133 year history. They are also doing well in the league this season, as are Shrewsbury who play in the other Checkatrade S/F.
The two main arguments for not taking the Checkatrade serious are that it doesn't matter and that it effects the league form. Well it clearly matters to Lincoln, as it did to us in 2008. And it clearly had no negative effect on our league form that season, or on Lincoln and Shrewsbury this year.
Whatever league we're in next season, I really hope Dan proves to be a manager who takes all the cups serious.
A lot of modern managers make their own job easier by throwing the cups so that they only have to focus on the league games. I think that's unacceptable, says more about their limitations as a manager, and is robbing the fans of potential cup memories and glory.
I would love to see Dan lead us out at Wembley in 2019. :)

To be fair I would say we took it pretty seriously this year just unfortunate to run into Michy Batshuayi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm 

Put three over 21s in against us but none last night

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:20 pm 

barry wrote:

I know. Bloody annoying. Their team last night was a real U-21 team. Not just their ages, but experience-wise. Apart from Ampadu, who also played against us, they were all still academy and U-23 team players in need of senior level experience - the very reason for their involvement in the Checkatrade Trophy. But against us they picked Eduardo, Batshuayi, Kenedy, Musonda - all players who, regardless of their age, had progressed well beyond U-23 team level and have since joined the likes of Dortmund, Newcastle, Celtic and gone straight into their first team. Not sure where that team selection came from but they haven't picked one anywhere near as strong before or after our game.
Hope we don't get screwed like that again.

Basically it was a conspiracy against us, because of Chelsea’s link with AFC Kingston, they put out a very strong team to knock us out of the competition, they have not put out a team of that strength before or after our meeting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:46 am 

barry wrote:

I know. Bloody annoying. Their team last night was a real U-21 team. Not just their ages, but experience-wise. Apart from Ampadu, who also played against us, they were all still academy and U-23 team players in need of senior level experience - the very reason for their involvement in the Checkatrade Trophy. But against us they picked Eduardo, Batshuayi, Kenedy, Musonda - all players who, regardless of their age, had progressed well beyond U-23 team level and have since joined the likes of Dortmund, Newcastle, Celtic and gone straight into their first team. Not sure where that team selection came from but they haven't picked one anywhere near as strong before or after our game.
Hope we don't get screwed like that again.

Take it as a compliant. They wanted to give their players a proper test.