THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:14 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
On the second point: the club does, and always has, run at an operating loss of around £2million a year. We are not in a position to turn down tens of thousands of pounds from away fans that have got Universal Credit payments burning holes in their Stone Islands.

8000 of them getting at least £300 a month. According to my calculations that's around Twenty nine million quid a blooming year. Charge em double I say. I need to go and sit down.
No wonder the country's going to the dogs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:45 am 

Quote:
2. Also why did the club allow Coventry bring over 8000 fans. To them it was like a home game and gave their team a playing at home feeling especially after they scored. If the money for this was to go towards the team then fine but it doesn't appear to be. It would also appear that Portsmouth have been given 6000 tickets. Why?

Just makes me want to smash my head against a table. What do people not understand about the cost of running a football club?

Imagine being a Chelsea fan and you're playing Spurs on TV. You're at home watching it, you have £5000 worth of debt and 5 mates support spurs and want to come round to watch it with you. They're willing to pay £30 each. Do you turn them away?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:42 am 

LouisMKD wrote:
Quote:
2. Also why did the club allow Coventry bring over 8000 fans. To them it was like a home game and gave their team a playing at home feeling especially after they scored. If the money for this was to go towards the team then fine but it doesn't appear to be. It would also appear that Portsmouth have been given 6000 tickets. Why?

Just makes me want to smash my head against a table. What do people not understand about the cost of running a football club?

Imagine being a Chelsea fan and you're playing Spurs on TV. You're at home watching it, you have £5000 worth of debt and 5 mates support spurs and want to come round to watch it with you. They're willing to pay £30 each. Do you turn them away?

Easier example. Some one wants to give you money. What do you do?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:13 pm 

How would you feel if we sold our allocation (unlikely I know!) for a game you really wanted to watch,and you couldn’t get a ticket, and found out that the ground wasn’t full?

It’s just not right.

Fair enough if safety regulations forbid it, but not otherwise.

Last edited by dons50 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:15 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
LouisMKD wrote:
Quote:

You may be right, but the example you give is completely false. Read the main point again: it clearly states that the concern is that by giving them so many tickets so that they out-number us then we lose a lot of our home advantage and that might impact on the result. How many people watch a game on TV in a living room has no impact on the result. The amount of people supporting each team in the ground can impact what goes on on the pitch.
We might not be in a financial position to further limit the amount of away fans, but it's certainly not an ideal scenario to be outnumbered by away fans in terms of the result on the pitch. Unless you
think that we fans have no relevance to a matchday other than doling out our cash?

That's exactly that. Just imagine if we had a ground like Rotherham's 12k capacity and Coventry came to town. They would only get their 3k then (if that). This is one of the reasons I will not go much to home games anymore. We are just seen as cash cows. I am pretty sure given the chance he would give these well supported clubs the whole ground. It's nice having a nice 30k stadium, but it just means other clubs fans have more chance in the home end cause we will never ever fill it.

This is the other thing that bugs me from what I have heard the amount of opposing fans in the home end. Obviously the postcode system doesn't work and this needs to be looked at in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:27 pm 

This is the other thing that bugs me from what I have heard the amount of opposing fans in the home end. Obviously the postcode system doesn't work and this needs to be looked at in the future.[/quote]

There is no way on this planet of determining the true allegiance of any random supporter if they don't want you to know. Unless they turn up at the box office wearing colours.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:36 pm 

donmentor wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
This is the other thing that bugs me from what I have heard the amount of opposing fans in the home end. Obviously the postcode system doesn't work and this needs to be looked at in the future.

There is no way on this planet of determining the true allegiance of any random supporter if they don't want you to know. Unless they turn up at the box office wearing colours.

You can minimise it by not selling tickets on the day and requiring a bill with the address they are saying they live at.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:54 pm 

donmentor wrote:

There is no way on this planet of determining the true allegiance of any random supporter if they don't want you to know. Unless they turn up at the box office wearing colours.[/quote]

If they’re not causing trouble, what’s the problem?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:09 pm 
The club can't win either way.

Allow big away allocations, and get criticised by our and other club's fans for being 'tinpot' and having a big stadium we can't fill ourselves as well as away fans potentially outnumbering home fans.

Limit allocations and the club misses out on much needed revenue, and get criticised by our and other club's fans for not allowing the extra allocation.

I'm in favour of just letting the club sell as many as they can to whoever they want. We have a 30k stadium that barely sees more than 10k most weeks. With the away attendances being large, we get overall attendances and revenue similar to some of the established bigger clubs like Charlton.

Over time, our home support will grow and we will fill this stadium one day, 20-30 years down the line. But until then, the club needs all the help it can to maintain and grow income, and tickets are a considerable part of that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:16 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
The club can't win either way.

Allow big away allocations, and get criticised by our and other club's fans for being 'tinpot' and having a big stadium we can't fill ourselves as well as away fans potentially outnumbering home fans.

Limit allocations and the club misses out on much needed revenue, and get criticised by our and other club's fans for not allowing the extra allocation.

I'm in favour of just letting the club sell as many as they can to whoever they want. We have a 30k stadium that barely sees more than 10k most weeks. With the away attendances being large, we get overall attendances and revenue similar to some of the established bigger clubs like Charlton.

Over time, our home support will grow and we will fill this stadium one day, 20-30 years down the line. But until then, the club needs all the help it can to maintain and grow income, and tickets are a considerable part of that.

Filthy, we agree!! :o :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next