THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How long ago
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:14 am 

Did Sam Baldock leave the Dons?

2011 and since then the club has not had a decent forward who was not a loan player.

The club cannot progress on the good fortune of bringing a forward loan player and hope he is competitive and stays.

A team can live without number nine if the other player contribute with goals, we have neither at present.

We left our joint top scorer go back to his club, and the replacement has not yet fired.

League two beckons and the buck should clearly stop on with the chairman.

Post subject: Re: How long ago
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:33 am 

I don't believe it does stop with Pete, he has bought the players the managers have asked; except for Grigg and he has held up his hands on that one.

Maynard - he clearly wasn't the same player after his injury and the club didn't pick up on that;
Gallagher - a loan player, who had personal issues and a lack of experience showed in the Championship;
Church - as much as Alby likes him. a workhorse with a poor goals record;
Agard - Hot & cold, for our record signing his first touch is poor;
Sow - Yet to do anything meaningful and looks out of his depth, but hasn't has the service required;
McDonald - bought due to Robbos liking of small forwards, should have got Revell;
Hitchcock - the less said the better;
Revell - We finally got Revell and he looked good, but we allowed the Cobblers to get him;
Lowe - did well after a shaky start getting used to one up front and left as soon as he could.

Even with Dan's possession football I believe we either need a striker like Revell or a fast player like Sam, but whoever we get in the future the profile and recruitment needs to be better and we need to provide them with better service ans more clear cut chances.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:17 am 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
I don't believe it does stop with Pete, he has bought the players the managers have asked; except for Grigg and he has held up his hands on that one.

Maynard - he clearly wasn't the same player after his injury and the club didn't pick up on that;
Gallagher - a loan player, who had personal issues and a lack of experience showed in the Championship;
Sow - Yet to do anything meaningful and looks out of his depth, but hasn't has the service required;
McDonald - bought due to Robbos liking of small forwards, should have got Revell;
Revell - We finally got Revell and he looked good, but we allowed the Cobblers to get him;
Lowe - did well after a shaky start getting used to one up front and left as soon as he could.

Even with Dan's possession football I believe we either need a striker like Revell or a fast player like Sam, but whoever we get in the future the profile and recruitment needs to be better and we need to provide them with better service ans more clear cut chances.

The managers have brought the strikers in they have asked for, I’m not sure how you can say that, with no evidence.
If managers are told, they can have anyone they like so long as it’s a loan, and they don’t have to pay cash for them, is a bit different.......than having who you like.
You don’t go shopping in Harrods with a pound in your pocket, you generally end up in the 99p store.
The manager has to make his choice with the pittance he has to spend, are you really telling me these managers have all bought dross willingly, when they could have had who they liked......I think it’s more a case of Hobson’s choice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:20 am 

WellDon wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:

The managers have brought the strikers in they have asked for, I’m not sure how you can say that, with no evidence.
If managers are told, they can have anyone they like so long as it’s a loan, and they don’t have to pay cash for them, is a bit different.......than having who you like.
You don’t go shopping in Harrods with a pound in your pocket, you generally end up in the 99p store.
The manager has to make his choice with the pittance he has to spend, are you really telling me these managers have all bought dross willingly, when they could have had who they liked......I think it’s more a case of Hobson’s choice

Of course there is a budget as there is at any club, but I doubt any of the strikers above came cheap in terms of wages and for certainty we paid a great deal for Agard. I believe this is another season where we can say we aren't getting value for money and need to rethink our recruitment in terms of the players we look at.

Last edited by ReturnofMoo on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 am 

Every club in the football league is looking for a decent striker.

Not every club can have a 20+ goal scorer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 am 

As a side note, Sam Baldock’s hasn’t particularly set the world alight since his departure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:23 am 

RedDotDon wrote:

True, but then the club needs to look at a striker who can provide also assists like Aaron Wilbraham.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:52 am 

RedDotDon wrote:

Very true, however if the other players are not chipping in with goals then the team has a serious problem.

Agard who the club paid a substantial fee for and probably a large wage is a good example of the poor player recruitment within the club. Certainly when you look at his first touch and ball control, he really does not fit the Robinson/DM style.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 am 

hyper wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:

Very true, however if the other players are not chipping in with goals then the team has a serious problem.

Agard who the club paid a substantial fee for and probably a large wage is a good example of the poor player recruitment within the club. Certainly when you look at his first touch and ball control, he really does not fit the Robinson/DM style.

I agree we paid a record fee for him, thought to be just over £300k, but in this day and age it’s nothing really even at our level.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 am 

hyper wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:

I know it's daft but I always thought he needs wider boots with more padding. He only has to touch the ball and it's off like a pinball machine.