THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fall Guy?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:01 pm 

Does anybody think that DM may simply have been appointed as Pete Winkelman's fall guy?

The more I look at it I suspect that Pete has looked at the squad and the remaining fixtures and decided we're almost down; Neilson was toxic and he had to appoint somebody else. If DM keeps us up then happy days, if (as it appears) we get relegated then DM will get the bullet with a minimal pay-off and some story about it being too early for him and best of luck for the future. Winkelman can then look for somebody over the summer who has more experience who might hopefully get us back up.

Just a thought ...

Post subject: Re: Fall Guy?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:04 pm 

Not sure about that, I think pw sees it as a long term appointment and even if we go down will allow Dan time to build a new team.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:57 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:07 pm 

SwanDonOne wrote:
Does anybody think that DM may simply have been appointed as Pete Winkelman's fall guy?

The more I look at it I suspect that Pete has looked at the squad and the remaining fixtures and decided we're almost down; Neilson was toxic and he had to appoint somebody else. If DM keeps us up then happy days, if (as it appears) we get relegated then DM will get the bullet with a minimal pay-off and some story about it being too early for him and best of luck for the future. Winkelman can then look for somebody over the summer who has more experience who might hopefully get us back up.

Just a thought ...

Suspect you are way off the mark. PW wants his team to play football not some other utter garbage we saw for 13months. Even if relegation comes he will do a Dolly Parton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:31 pm 

SwanDonOne wrote:

Just a thought ...

Not a fall-guy, but an appointment that few will criticise him for.
Many of our fans went weak at the knees when anyone ever involved in our academy was mentioned as a possible manager.
Except the kit-man. I don’t think anyone got excited about the kit-man.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:00 pm 

No point even entertaining this theory. Pete isnt the sly villain your post would imply and he and dan have a great relationship. He has employed dan because he came in and transformed us from the grass roots into a club that produces technically sound footballers prepared to play in a certain brand of football that the top european sides desire. Hes not the fall guy hes the guy trusted to transform a stuttering regime like he already did here, at spurs and at england. I expect he will be afforded the time it will naturally take to do that and I support that. Anyone who was at the game yesterday would have heard him instructing the team to play quicker and guiding certain players. It will take time but the brand of football hes working towards will be worth the wait.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:19 pm 

Not a chance. Michiche knows the club and would be far cheaper than pretty much any other serious candidate. Pete pissed around for ages and spent a large some of money getting Neilson in, and he still wasn't the right guy for the job, so it's no surprise most fans are pretty happy with DM's quick appointment. Obviously it's early days, but I think I'd be prepared to back Michiche in league two should it come to it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:57 pm 

No-one with even half a brain would blame Dan if we went down.

"This is Kent Brockman with a special report from the Channel 6 News-Copter! A large bear-like animal - most likely a bear - has wandered down from the hills in search of food or, perhaps, employment! Please remain calm! Stay in your homes!"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:24 pm 

No he’s not a fall guy, DM has been appointed as a long term manager, he’s got one hell of a job on his hands at the moment, I just hope he can keep us up

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:16 pm 

I’m pretty sure Lee Majors was the Fall Guy.