THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:29 pm 

Galverion wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
Galverion wrote:
RedDotDon wrote:
A bold an ambitious appointment, but at completely the wrong time.

We needed an experienced man to set this team up to be hard to beat, to steal a goal here and there and get the points needed to survive.

Instead we’re trying to pass our way out of a relegation battle vainly trying to do it the ‘MK Way’ (whatever the hell that is) with a group of players who don’t appear to have the necessary quality.

Now was not the time for DM.

Another poor decision from PW imo.

Nail on the head there mate. A friend of mine, a Liverpool fan, came with me today to Walsall and he mentioned what De Boer was trying to do at Palace...try and overnight change the whole style and ethos....but the problem was, he was not at City or Barca...he was working with what he had at Palace....

Yep, only City and Barcelona, can play the MK Way. I thought everyone knew that.

Eh ? The point I am making was about De Boer, trying to change a club overnight - but not having the players to do so. I am not saying his style was the "MK way" ! Just cited him as an example. Keep up :roll:

Yet you can argue that Neilson was the De Boer, trying to change the style and we have gone back to a style in which we were successful. :roll: and I will raise you a :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 pm 
God it’s only the second week. Most of this squad was built by Neilson with a view to playing his way, the way we have played for months now. It will take time before DM’s ethos is ingrained in the squad. Results will improve, again it’s only week two. He’s barely had his name sown into the manager’s underpants.

The early signs are promising, we look a better side and have had the most possession in both games under him so far - a rarity under Neilson. Things will improve and we will stay up.

Then he has a whole summer of pre season to bring in players, offload players and get the squad really fine tuned to his style of play ready for next season.

He needs time, like Neilson did. My opinion has generally been proven right on here, and I am confident Micciche will turn things around and we will be a force next season and will be proven right yet again. I’d bet on it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:46 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Galverion wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
Give him some time won't you. There are reasons we are in the position we are, which can't be fixed overnight and we will do well to survive, but I'm not writing off this season just yet.

I was one of the first to say he needed time when appointed. I am just saying, if there comes a time when we see no improvement, none of us should be afraid to raise our concerns and honest thoughts. But any of that will not be until way into next season.

And if we do go down - which I reckon is certain now - then DM should not take the blame for that.

If we do go down, then he should take some of the blame. We had just slipped to 21st when he took over, needing to climb just one place in the league with 18 games remaining. I'm sure that was hardly beyond the capabilities of a competent manager.
If he fails to lift us even one place in the table in 18 games then he deserves some criticism for what would be a poor effort.
Dan's a long term appointment and it was always a possibility that his inexperience would mean he was less likely to keep us up than an experienced manager. That's understandable and many of us accept that risk in order to return to the "MK way". But let's not pretend that relegation was, or is, inevitable, and that Dan's inexperience would play no part in the relegation if it occurs. Or his decision not to buy a striker in January. If the goals still fail to come from anyone but Chuks then that's a big mistake from Dan.

One lost league game and an FA Cup game at home to a lower division club and we're all sorry now.

Edited for you. ;)
No, I'm not sorry we appointed Dan. And I will not be calling for him to be sacked in 12 months time, whatever the situation. I want stability. But that doesn't mean I can't put some honest perspective on a possible relegation. Dan is likely to need time to find his feet as a senior manager, and therefore his inexperience would have to be said to have played some part in a relegation should it occur. Just because I like a person, and desperately want him to do well, doesn't mean I should refuse to acknowledge their flaws or weaknesses. And Dan's inexperience is a major disadvantage at this crucial stage of a relegation battle. That's just a fact. But I still have hope, and faith, that he'll be a good long-term appointment. KTF.

As I said previously, in February with 3 points from 20th and 2 games in hand, I won't be writing off this season. Of course I want him to succeed and the experienced managers you refer to have all tasted failure, so I don't see because he is new that this is necessarily a weakness, although he will make mistakes (like I said last week when he changed Cisse to left back).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:29 pm 

It amazes me that people haven't worked out youre a wum, galverion, that wasnt even around when times were good. As you were.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:31 am 

Gers wrote:
donmentor wrote:
If you have nothing sensible or constructive to say, then best say nothing.

Nothing it is then.

I am actually in the pub. I'm drunk. What the fuck do I know!

I was referring to the original post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:02 am 

I thought we did play like Man City yesterday, I can clearly remember a couple of times in the first half, Nicholls to Lewie, to Nicholls to Ward to Williams, to Nicholls and back to Lewie all in our own box with a couple of Wallsall players to pass around as well

Always good to get the blood pumping a little bit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 am 

Bloxham Don wrote:
I thought we did play like Man City yesterday, I can clearly remember a couple of times in the first half, Nicholls to Lewie, to Nicholls to Ward to Williams, to Nicholls and back to Lewie all in our own box with a couple of Wallsall players to pass around as well

Always good to get the blood pumping a little bit

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:16 am 

Would have preferred to see DM as an Assistant or First Team coach seeing as that’s what he is known for, coaching.

I would have thought money drove this appointment. PW said when RN was appointed that he took his time, had to pay compensation and would have had to put a package together to interest RN. With DM there was no compensation, no need to pay top dollar and an immediate start.

I hope he comes good, I really do, only time will tell.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:57 pm 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
It amazes me that people haven't worked out youre a wum, galverion, that wasnt even around when times were good. As you were.

Thank you, Beardhidesboy64. But I do not set out to be a WUM. Ok, so I like to say some controversial things to get things going sometimes...otherwise TCR would be a dull place...but on this thread, I am merely raising the point that should DM not prove to be the right man, then nothing wrong to mention it....BUT as I said from the outset, I am really, really hoping that he will do a good job and things work out well.

Oh and for your records, I joined TCR when things were "going well"....and have been a Dons fan since Wimbledon moved up here. Were you at the early games at the NHS ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:11 pm 

You didnt raise a point. You said ha I told you so, undermined dans achievements to date, came across almost smug that we had lost 2 games to be able to say I told you so and after 1 week implied we should all be ready to get on his back like we did his predecessors. For starters it was only a few during most of robbos tenure that got on his back untill the real de line but he was offered a fair few years of lenience because we could all seee what he was trying to do and the football was almost always entertaining apart from the odd game like gillingham away. For the most part the fans enjoyed the football and we could buy into and see what he was doing. I expect the same will apply to dan whether that makes tcr an entertaining place or not. Anyone that was there yesterday would have heard dan exclaiming from the touchline to play quicker etc. The reason robbie was not afforded the time because noone could see what he was trying to implement and the football was dull.

Its already evident how dan wants his team to play.

If tcr was still a thing I would have a tenner with you that you werent on the keyser express and at the end of the day thats all that really matters haha.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next