THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nicholls
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:16 pm 

Good keeper but why does this guy get away with so much criticism?? Error after error.

Apparently.

UTF

Post subject: Re: Nicholls
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:19 pm 
Alby wrote:
Good keeper but why does this guy get away with so much criticism?? Error after error.

Pointed this out a couple of months back. He is very error prone and not commanding enough - seems indecisive at times.

Without spending hours looking at Martin's performances, Nicholls on the face of it has made far more errors this season compared to any other season I can recall with Martin.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:30 pm 

I prefer Nicholls but twice second half after cov had scored Rab was completely unmarked and was screaming to Nicholls yet Nicholls rolled the ball out three yards to a defender. Definitely needs to improve his distribution imo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:34 pm 

I have questioned Nicholls a few times lately (not personally, but whether he really is the new messiah of a goalkeeper). We seem to keep conceding sloppy goals, it is a thing for us, and that can't entirely be down to the defenders. He dropped the ball today in a way that made me nervous also. He's only human. Everyone makes mistakes. But is he letting in goals too cheaply? Those ones where the ball seems to roll around forever in slow motion in front of the goal with no-one clearing or stopping it. Or the one chance that teams seem to need to get a direct hit and it goes in, seemingly out of nothing and against the run of play. He was second to Martin, we've given him a shot, I like the guy and he's kept us in matches, but I do question if he's the right keeper to get us to where we want to be.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:31 pm 

I’ve mentioned this before.

Nicholls has a LOT to improve.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:37 pm 

No.... he's very good.
Heart in mouth over thAt dropped ball but otherwise very very good.
Both the junior Ramones were 'keepers.
IT IS NOT AN EASY POSITION TO PLAY. :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:35 am 

I'm not worried about Nicholls, yes he's got areas he can improve, and yes, Martin was probably a better keeper, but alot of fans had it in for him from day one and I honestly havn't seen too much that worries me. Not in the context of our season anyway. I dread to think where we'd be without Nicholls this season. He doesn't have the luxury of being able to rely on his defenders like Martin did, what I'd give to have Fadz and kay back in central defence.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:44 am 

He made some good saves today.

He's not perfect (I do think he could have commanded the box and mopped the ball up better for the Cov goal and the two Northampton goals) - but he is the least of our concerns this season.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:38 am 
Locutus wrote:
I'm not worried about Nicholls, yes he's got areas he can improve, and yes, Martin was probably a better keeper, but alot of fans had it in for him from day one and I honestly havn't seen too much that worries me. Not in the context of our season anyway. I dread to think where we'd be without Nicholls this season. He doesn't have the luxury of being able to rely on his defenders like Martin did, what I'd give to have Fadz and kay back in central defence.

Think you might have a point there. Martin over his time here generally had more solid CB pairings to protect him, whereas Nicholls has had to deal with more error prone CBs this season. Not saying EEL and Wootton have been bad all season, but if you compare them to any of our other CB pairs over the past decade or so, they are probably fairly low down the list in terms of reliability.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:16 am 

Surely the logical conclusion is that if, as you say, the defence is weak we need a better goalkeeper. I think Nicholls is making too many mistakes and has cost us more points than he has saved.

He is definitely not playing as well as he was when he took over from Martin.