THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:02 am 

If it was solely about staying up we wouldn't have chosen the manager we have.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:08 am 

WellDon wrote:
In all honesty, I don’t think I’d be overly upset if we got relegated, that may sound funny because I would have been pissed off to go down under RN, but I feel like we’ve got our identity back, and a season....he says hopefully......in League 2, wouldn’t be the end of the world.

This. Our last season in League 2 was pretty good. Gave us great momentum for the 10 years since. Well, up until Robbo's departure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:27 am 

Greg wrote:
WellDon wrote:
In all honesty, I don’t think I’d be overly upset if we got relegated, that may sound funny because I would have been pissed off to go down under RN, but I feel like we’ve got our identity back, and a season....he says hopefully......in League 2, wouldn’t be the end of the world.

This. Our last season in League 2 was pretty good. Gave us great momentum for the 10 years since. Well, up until Robbo's departure.

Not the end of world but something that should be avoided if possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:37 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
We're at the start of another big gamble that could go very well or very badly.

Yes exactly - people need to accept that and not moan if the gamble doesn't work out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:52 am 

Greg wrote:
WellDon wrote:

Absolutely not this. I want us playing at the highest level possible, and always higher than Kingston. Besides, there's absolutely no guarantee that next season would be a promotion year in league two. It may be, and Micciche may prove a great manager; or we may just continue to slide down as it may turn out that Micciche is one of the many great youth coaches that isn't a great senior manager. Let's not get too carried away. We've sacked an unpopular manager and employed a popular youth manager with good potential and we are all excited at the talk of a return to the MK way. But talk is cheap. Neilson talked about promotion this season FFS. Just because we like what Micciche aims to do, it doesn't mean he's going to be able to do it. I sincerely hope he does, but I do think people are just taking for granted that he's going to be the next Robbo when he might turn out to be one of the many coaches / assistants who can't cut it as a manager. I'm not predicting that. It could go either way and I like the choice of Millen as assistant. But I do think many seem to be taking for granted that a big gamble will certainly pay off and that relegation would lead to a great promotion season next year. I think we should be very careful and not so presumptuous. We're at the start of another big gamble that could go very well or very badly.

Cannot argue with this. We are all feeling optimistic now, but I did feel the tenor yesterday was perhaps "too" optimistic and over the top - we have not got Mourinho or anything ;)

I said yesterday that I was a bit underwhelmed when I first heard, as was hoping for an experienced and proven man, but as the day went on I warmed a lot to the new management team. But let us not kid ourselves....it is still a gamble...hope it works out, but the last thing we need is to get relegated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:05 am 

Greg wrote:
WellDon wrote:

Absolutely not this. I want us playing at the highest level possible, and always higher than Kingston. Besides, there's absolutely no guarantee that next season would be a promotion year in league two. It may be, and Micciche may prove a great manager; or we may just continue to slide down as it may turn out that Micciche is one of the many great youth coaches that isn't a great senior manager. Let's not get too carried away. We've sacked an unpopular manager and employed a popular youth manager with good potential and we are all excited at the talk of a return to the MK way. But talk is cheap. Neilson talked about promotion this season FFS. Just because we like what Micciche aims to do, it doesn't mean he's going to be able to do it. I sincerely hope he does, but I do think people are just taking for granted that he's going to be the next Robbo when he might turn out to be one of the many coaches / assistants who can't cut it as a manager. I'm not predicting that. It could go either way and I like the choice of Millen as assistant. But I do think many seem to be taking for granted that a big gamble will certainly pay off and that relegation would lead to a great promotion season next year. I think we should be very careful and not so presumptuous. We're at the start of another big gamble that could go very well or very badly.

Yes I would go with you, only thing I would say is I could probably take relegation easier than I could’ve done under Neilson. At least Pete is trying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:29 am 

IN reply OP. If Miccichi has come in with any other message than we can win every game left he's not giving the right message. We have the players to be well clear of trouble come the end of April, but as mentioned elsewhere any talk of actually making the play offs is completely unrealistic, even if we stay undefeated until the end of the season. At this moment in time I'm going to be ecstatic if we finish 20th.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:59 am 

This reminds me of the have we got the new Alex Ferguson thread. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:18 pm 
I'm fairly sure Micciche will achieve what Neilson did in the second half of last season, keep us up and improve our position notably. We'll finish somewhere between 9th - 12th.

Re the season objective - no chance. We're too far off the pack now. Our squad is a mid-table squad compared to the top teams in this league. Wigan and Blackburn are Championship-strength squads.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:48 pm 
It will be interesting to see how the squad improves under Micciche, and in particular some of the signings Neilson made - we will find out if they were poor signings, or whether they were just being coached badly. I really think one or two of the signings Neilson made aren't as good as Neilson made out - he just convinced us they were good enough, just like how he continued saying we weren't in a relegation battle. Players like Muirhead, Sow, Cisse need to step up a gear or two.

The only players that are really top 6 quality that we have IMO are Aneke, Gilbey, Walsh and maybe Upson and Williams - all KR signings except Gilbey. The rest need to improve to some degree.