THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next Manager
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:20 am 
Oxford have probably brought forward the sacking of their manager because they have seen us linked with a few 'big' names and probably want to have a go at getting someone like Grayson or Warburton themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
Oxford have probably brought forward the sacking of their manager because they have seen us linked with a few 'big' names and probably want to have a go at getting someone like Grayson or Warburton themselves.

I was thinking the same thing, do they have enough cash anyone know? Rich owner?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:43 am 
Kempstondons6 wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, do they have enough cash anyone know? Rich owner?

The impression I get is that they are in a similar bracket to us in terms of budget, definitely not bottom end of the league, but probably not in the top tier either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
SheffieldExile wrote:
Two ways to go for PW

Grayson - Vastly experienced at L1 level, chance to stay up, build and challenge next year. Promoted with 4 different L1 clubs and knows how to get results. Will have good contacts at various levels in terms of bringing in players. Likely to jump ship once a bigger club flashes their eyes at him unless he has been so badly traumatised by his Sunderland experience

Micciche - Knows PW, Academy and Club inside out. Chance to "reconnect with fans" Likely to build from within with emphasis on bringing youngsters through. No managerial experience so potential for relegation higher. No obvious connections that would assist in recruiting players for a dogfight. Would majority of fans and/or PW accept going down?

I know that sounds like I'm nailing my flag to the Grayson mast, but I'm not. Either is a good appointment depending on if you are looking at now and next season (Grayson) or a longer term project (Micciche)

Good summing up, and I agree about the longer term project part but not necessarily for the same reason. I think it's a bit naive of us to think that Micciche or Rubio would show the same loyalty as Robbo and wouldn't "jump ship once a big club flashed their eyes at them." Young, hungry and ambitious players and managers (which is the PW way) generally have loftier ambitions than us and so it's likely that Micciche and Rubio might also see us as the first rung of the ladder. That said, I agree about the longer term project with them but more because of our attitude: I think there'd be less frustration, and that they'd be given longer, if the manager had a connection to us and played the MK way. Whereas someone brought in to deliver results over style would be judged sooner.
My votes still for Grayson over the other two, but whoever they appoint I just hope in 12 months time we aren't back where we've just been because I found the last couple of months pretty shameful for the club, on and off the pitch and I include the stands and social media in that.
Here's to a more dignified, and hopefully more successful, 2018.

Two good posts. Almost makes our position and the sacking worthwhile, to make this forum perk up...... :o :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:03 am 

Although I have been banging the drum for RDM to return, I accept it is very unlikely. But another chap I have always rated in Brian McDermott. Especially his first stint at Reading when they did well in the Prem....at that time, he was being hailed as one of the best young managers in the land. The wheels have fallen off a bit since admittedly, but I reckon he would be suited to MKD.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:11 am 

Galverion wrote:
Although I have been banging the drum for RDM to return, I accept it is very unlikely. But another chap I have always rated in Brian McDermott. Especially his first stint at Reading when they did well in the Prem....at that time, he was being hailed as one of the best young managers in the land. The wheels have fallen off a bit since admittedly, but I reckon he would be suited to MKD.

Yep - I'd prefer him to Grayson and the other experienced guys being bandied about. Always struck me as a good guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:31 pm 

On the subject of untried managers just read Ryan Lowe is currently in charge at Bury. And before anyone jumps on me I'm NOT putting his name in the hat!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:36 pm 

Can we just take on someone who knows what they're doing?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:39 pm 

Supervisor number 5 wrote:

Sadly not, the very fact they know what they are doing means they will turn down the job when they see what they have to work with

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:19 pm 

Supervisor number 5 wrote:

That would fit in well with Winkelman's preference for doing something unique and different !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next