THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:22 pm 
Otterspocket wrote:
Alby wrote:
Someone posted a message on twitter where they asked if he was coming back and he said yeah

Thanks for reply fella.

Serious question, Lewie for new Manager? Has he done or is he doing his badges? Probably not long term (unless he's ridiculously successful) but just until the end of the season.

I believe he has been working away at his badges. But he is absolutely not the right person to manage this team now or anytime soon. He has no experience which is not what we need at the moment. Really, he should be working in an assistant coach type role alongside someone with experience, or if he is determined to go it alone and take on the big job himself he needs to start at a lower level.

But putting faith in him to be first team manager with no experience is risky and definitely not sensible anytime soon, even in a caretaker role. One day I'm sure he will be here as manager, but I don't expect that to be for at least 5-10 years.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:24 pm 

Why does anyone think he’s likely to be a good coach or manager? I can tell he’s a good footballer but not anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:38 pm 
dons50 wrote:
Why does anyone think he’s likely to be a good coach or manager? I can tell he’s a good footballer but not anything else.

Same applies to any ex-footballer moving into coaching - Stevie G, Giggs etc. People just assume that because they had a good career that they will make a good coach.

Usually the opposite happens and it's the players that had an unspectacular playing career that make good managers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:54 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:

Same applies to any ex-footballer moving into coaching - Stevie G, Giggs etc. People just assume that because they had a good career that they will make a good coach.

Usually the opposite happens and it's the players that had an unspectacular playing career that make good managers.

Maynard?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:56 pm 
Don Direction wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:

Maynard?

You never know. I'm expecting Simon Church to be in charge of Barcelona when they lift the Champions League trophy in 2029.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:01 pm 

Don Direction wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:

Maynard?

You joke but it's normally bang average or worse than average players who make better managers!

As for Lewie I wasn't suggesting he would or wouldn't make a good manager, or advocating him taking on the role. I was just posing a question because I remember him being asked about coaching etc in interviews. As for an obsession with untried managers, look at our history in MK. The 2 most successful managers had little or no previous 1st team experience. Not saying we should go down that line but the only 2 managers we've had who had anything like a proper CV were Martin Allen and Danny Wilson. We've got previous is all I'm saying.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:34 pm 

Lewie could do a great job helping reconnect the club with the fans, particularly if he was willing to bring the non-playing players to meet the fans, sign autographs, etc. They could start with the family zone to see how it goes, but I would hope they would extend that to the other zones later.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:16 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Otterspocket wrote:
Serious question, Lewie for new Manager? Has he done or is he doing his badges? Probably not long term (unless he's ridiculously successful) but just until the end of the season.

What is this obsession with getting a compete novice as manager? Lewington, Rubio, Heald, Mitchell.
No, no, no, no.
We've sacked two managers in 13 months, completely overhauled the squad, and face a relegation battle. The next manager has to be a success and has to hit the ground running. We need an experienced manager. This is not the time for an untried manager to learn on the job.

I totally agree Bertie. It’s the wrong time to be taking a punt.

Although it won’t be easy to find a half-decent experienced manager that we can afford.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 am 

Like, say, someone who's running second in the Scottish Premiership? It's all pot luck as far as I can see, unless big bucks are involved.
Totally agree that Lewie is not management material right now and that would be just plain daft. Hope he comes back as a player though, even if it's to keep a bench seat warm .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:17 am 

I would have Lewie back in a heartbeat, at the very least he cares about the club. I've seen nothing of anyone who's been playing in his position this season that he's not capable of doing, give him the armband back and he'll give the team a fair degree of fight - which is what we lack across the park. 4231 with Tav in front of Lewie - sorted.

Maybe he could entice his Dad to help him until the end of the season in a caretaker role?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next