THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 510 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:12 am 

We had a similar thread that I personally always enjoyed at the old gaff. So thought it would be rude not to continue it here.
I will happilly kick us off with:

Kingsman:The Golden Circle

Sadly, sequels like this tend to be poor copies of the previously popular and successful formula; and end up leaving you with a feeling of Deja Vu. This is different. In fact I'd go as far as to say that I've not enjoyed a sequel as much as this for some time. Of course there are similarities to Kingsman:The Secret Service; but I really felt this was a continuation of that original that I was thoroughly entertained by. Sure there is some humor that borders on crude and perhaps even childish; but there are also moments where I properly belly laughed which more that make up for that. Like the original the action sequences are excellent; and like most films where Jane Goldsmith has a hand in writing, the plot is gripping and entertaining.

Comes highly recommended: 7.5/10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:58 pm 

Mother!:

Weird. But weird doesn't always mean bad. It was a good film and very well made. Could be oscar worthy in parts. But it was awfully disturbing.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:25 pm 

IT.

Basically Goonies with jump scares.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:08 pm 

Pride (2014)

Not a new film by any means but a film I think everyone should give a chance at least once. I was recommends it by my dad, and I have since recommended on to a few friends and its got wholesale universal acclaim.

Without spoilers rotten tomatoes gives it 92% it has an overall rating of 5 stars on amazon, 92% of google users liked It and 7.8 on imdb. Thats just a general scope of the recognition watchers gave it.

For me though id 100% say dont judge a book by its cover. Personally I watched it for joe gilgun (this is england, misfits etc) and my dads glowing review. It far exceeded my expectations, a really rewarding film to watch and you definitely come away from it with a worthwhile experience. If you lived through the maggie thatcher era I think you will appreciate it.

Its funny, heartwarming and a good drama. And a film I went into with low expectations and came out (excuse the pun) having them far exceeded.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:05 pm 

wotalad wrote:
We had a similar thread that I personally always enjoyed at the old gaff. So thought it would be rude not to continue it here.
I will happilly kick us off with:

Kingsman:The Golden Circle

Sadly, sequels like this tend to be poor copies of the previously popular and successful formula; and end up leaving you with a feeling of Deja Vu. This is different. In fact I'd go as far as to say that I've not enjoyed a sequel as much as this for some time. Of course there are similarities to Kingsman:The Secret Service; but I really felt this was a continuation of that original that I was thoroughly entertained by. Sure there is some humor that borders on crude and perhaps even childish; but there are also moments where I properly belly laughed which more that make up for that. Like the original the action sequences are excellent; and like most films where Jane Goldsmith has a hand in writing, the plot is gripping and entertaining.

Comes highly recommended: 7.5/10

Certainly enjoyed this having completely adored Kingsman: the Secret Service

I think that Littlest OFD and I both fell into the trap of over anticipating it however, and so didn't find it quite as good as it's predecessor

Still, great fun and definitely I look forward to seeing again

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:31 pm 

Alby wrote:
Mother!:

Weird. But weird doesn't always mean bad. It was a good film and very well made. Could be oscar worthy in parts. But it was awfully disturbing.

I caught this one last week too; and I have to say I agree 100%. I don't tend to watch horror/scary movies because they don't do what they're fundamentally supposed to. They don't seem do much more than my 15 year old daughter can do by jumping out at me unexpectedly. Mother!, on the other hand, does exactly what it sets out to do. Which is not necessarily to scare but certainly to "disturb". In fact, some of the situations that developed made me feel so uncomfortable that I often found myself agasp or laughing nervously. Javier Bardem is fast becoming a favourite of mine. He doesn't disappoint here either.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:19 pm 

Flatliners - members of the audience laughed at points they weren't supposed to, which for a thriller sums it up really. I quite enjoyed it all the same, but don't go in with high hopes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:16 pm 

Just saw Flatliners too. Bad not because it's shit but because it's very boring.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:21 am 

The Green Mile, starring Tom Hanks, really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:08 pm 

I'm giving the fleshpots of Stony a miss tonight, and going for a Trainspotting double header.

Bought them both on DVD sometime ago. Looking forward to them. Somewhat tempered by discovering that Sky's big movie of the week is...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 510 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next