THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:00 pm 
Don't worry, this is my last thread on the subject.

Lots of threads recently about players, the manager, the club's accounts etc. Without stating the obvious, what I think a lot of fans can agree on is that something substantial has to change either on or off the pitch pretty sharpish. A couple of transfers here or there simply isn't going to cut it and fix the problems at our club.

I don't care whether it makes me "less" of a supporter - at the end of the day being a football fan is something we do in our spare time and at best a hobby. Fans don't have the patience for a "three year project" or whatever Neilson and Pete want to call it. That's fine if you work at the club full time, have all your money/livelihood invested in it, but one way or another fans won't put up with it.

Currently debating whether I want to go to the Northampton and Walsall away games. Would have been a no brainer years ago. This club has been on a downward spiral since 2015, and nothing positive has happened since our promotion.

I feel the problem lies deeper than just the players under performing and Neilson's management style. It's our general transfer activity, the obvious mistakes made by the decision makers behind the scenes (who have admitted these mistakes), its the lack of progress and improvement in almost every area of our club - the training ground development for example. The only area I can genuinely say we have promise in and excel in, is our academy under Edu Rubio.

Above all, it's the complete destruction of our identity as a club. Where has the technical, entertaining, exciting football we were known for gone? Where have the big team characters and togetherness gone? I'd rather watch a Robinson team struggle than a Neilson team struggle.

Genuinely think it's time that Pete considered stepping aside to let someone else with more experience oversee the club (whilst still retaining ownership). Either that, or he needs to make some substantial staff changes on and off the pitch - get rid of Neilson, sort out the recruitment department, put more focus on the training ground development.

Part of my frustration is the lack of communication and understanding from the club itself - I know it's their job to promote the club, but the way the social media accounts are run, the match reports, the press releases, always focus on the positives. This is fine most of the time, but when there is increasing fan discontent, it's a little patronising to dismiss it completely the way the club do with their overly positive attitude. It just serves to distance the club from fans. The club needs to accept we are in a shit situation in many ways, and actively do more to deal with it. How they do that, I don't know.

The more I think about it, that video interview Pete gave a few weeks ago was just a waste of time, and was completely patronising to fans.

I'm not sure I could put up with another season of this, 3 years in a row. Any other club would have dropped Neilson a long time ago, I genuinely believe that. I lost faith in Neilson months ago. I am rapidly losing faith (and patience) with the club and the board.

Not only for keeping Neilson on, despite contradicting everything they've said before (i.e. sacking Karl for being in 19th which Pete said wasn't acceptable, yet keeping Neilson on when he's 20th). But also all of the slip ups, fuck ups, poor decisions and club performance over the past 3 seasons with recruitment and performance.

Fans need something to be positive about - not just words of encouragement and faith, but positive action and decision making. I don't even know who we are as a club anymore. It's just not enjoyable in any respect. If someone asked me what one positive thing was about our club a the moment, I genuinely couldn't tell them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:09 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Fans don't have the patience for a "three year project"

Some fans don't. Which is fine. Some of us do. Which is fine too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:23 pm 

I agree with virtually everything Filthy, except Pete stepping aside, if he did the new Chairman would want paying thus reducing the investment.

Pete should be saying to Neilson he wants to get back to the MK Dons way of playing football, and Neilson can either change his style to conform or change his position.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:12 am 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSEOzimKnEY

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:43 am 

Great post Filthy, and you are bang on.

When you add in the numerous ticket office errors, running out of Bovril and the car parking stewarding shambles, it all points to a Company that just isn't well run. We can all see that Pete has been brilliant in bringing league football to MK and we can see that he really cares. But he needs to get much better people round about him if he wants the club to succeed. Root and branch review needed but it should start with a stronger Board.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
Genuinely think it's time that Pete considered stepping aside to let someone else with more experience oversee the club (whilst still retaining ownership). Either that, or he needs to make some substantial staff changes on and off the pitch - get rid of Neilson, sort out the recruitment department, put more focus on the training ground development.

More experience?!? :lol:

Pete has been chairman of the football club since 2003. I don’t think there’s more than a handful across the whole of the top four divisions with that length of service.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:32 am 

Personally, I would cut Filthy's willy off and shove it up his bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:41 am 

keyser soze wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Can someone explain to me how it works when the fans of every club in the league that isn't in the top 6-10 and haven't been for 2-3 years lose patience with a three year project? Is it reasonable for fans of all clubs in the league to have high expectations or do some need to accept that they are going to be mid table each season until there is some serious talent emerging or money to splash on players? We have a mid-table squad in my view, at best, with a few exceptions like Aneke. I'm not even sure about Nicholls anymore. Unless or until that changes we won't be pushing anywhere. The goal should (now) be not being relegated and getting in a prolific, clinical striker, and strengthening defence in January IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:43 am 

HarpenDon wrote:
Great post Filthy, and you are bang on.

When you add in the numerous ticket office errors, running out of Bovril and the car parking stewarding shambles, it all points to a Company that just isn't well run. We can all see that Pete has been brilliant in bringing league football to MK and we can see that he really cares. But he needs to get much better people round about him if he wants the club to succeed. Root and branch review needed but it should start with a stronger Board.

Is this a serious post about ticket office errors and Bovril? My experience of the ticket office has been superb. Any organisation is going to make mistakes from time to time, what are these ticket office errors that warrant removal of a chairman ? And Bovril? Who even likes Bovril. If you do I can see that its temporary absence would lead to removing the chairman of a football club :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:53 am 

Silverous wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Can someone explain to me how it works when the fans of every club in the league that isn't in the top 6-10 and haven't been for 2-3 years lose patience with a three year project? Is it reasonable for fans of all clubs in the league to have high expectations or do some need to accept that they are going to be mid table each season until there is some serious talent emerging or money to splash on players? We have a mid-table squad in my view, at best, with a few exceptions like Aneke. I'm not even sure about Nicholls anymore. Unless or until that changes we won't be pushing anywhere. The goal should (now) be not being relegated and getting in a prolific, clinical striker, and strengthening defence in January IMHO.

One issue....you talk about the high expectations of fans, in our case, do you recall who set our expectations that high ?
Do you really think that fans should be blamed for that ?
Or are you saying we should not believe a bloody word any of them say ?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next