THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Crap
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:35 pm 

I'm not calling for the manager's head here, but playing like this we are going to go down.

Squad needs a massive shake up on January!

Post subject: Re: Crap
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 pm 

I, for the first time this season genuinely think we are in a relegation battle. I thought we’d pull away and finish around 14th but I think we will be here or hereabouts for a while yet. Can’t see many changes in january.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:37 pm 

Alby wrote:
I, for the first time this season genuinely think we are in a relegation battle. I thought we’d pull away and finish around 14th but I think we will be here or hereabouts for a while yet. Can’t see many changes in january.

We've been in a relegation battle all season

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:46 pm 
For what it’s worth, I’d suggest that if we get rid of Neilson, the compensation required would kill off any chance of strengthening our squad in January, and I don’t think we have a good enough squad to stay up. If we keep him, I don’t believe that he’s able to turn it round, but we have a slightly increased chance of staying up. It’s counter-intuitive, but I think our odds of staying up are better if we keep him, but I’m expecting league 2 next season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:00 pm 

This league is tight in the bottom half, just six points separate the team in 12th to Kingston in 21st.

A lot of teams are in the scrap to stay up, not just us

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:05 pm 

Agreed. Spend any what would be compo money on a couple of EXPERIENCED senior squad members who can make an impact IMMEDIATLEY.

That should be enough imo, I think there's 4 worse teams than us this season.

Only trouble I can see brewing is fan discontent, but hopefully we can pick up some points here and there and have a serious reassessment in the summer.

I don't want to have to call for Neilson to go, but something obviously isn't right atm.

Keeping the faith!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:10 pm 

Where do we think we will find those experienced players? January isn’t really the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:18 pm 

The squad needs decent coaching, not a massive shake up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:32 pm 

Toby Carvery wrote:
The squad needs decent coaching, not a massive shake up.

Yes, agreed but it seems that certain players aren’t capable of cutting out the mistakes and don’t appear to be getting Robbie’s “we’ll learn from this” message. That’s excusable if it’s kids, but it’s not. I think the only player I trust out there defensively is Walsh. Whoever he partners at CB or has on his left flank, he has to talk them through the game. That shouldn’t be happening given the experience out there.

On the face of it we really should have a more than competent back four/five with bags of experience at this level. It’s not working out that way.. Communication and recognising the dangers when they arise are what’s costing us. That more a mental thing than coaching. Maybe the blend just isn’t right?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:35 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Where do we think we will find those experienced players? January isn’t really the time.

Literally this. It’s not impossible, people will name the Chadwick’s etc from the past but generally speaking we won’t and haven’t signed anyone with experience who is good enough to come in and change our side. There are circumstances for every transfer, there have been good players who go to clubs after fallouts with management etc. But I don’t think us in the position we are with the budget we have will be seeing too many players we know will make instant changes.

May get a few out of favour loaners but for every Harvey Barnes you get a Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

Apparently.

UTF