THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: My Ramblings
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:24 pm 

I think we as fans were over expectant, rightfully so having been built up preseason with what our aim was. In hindsight with such a big turnover in the squad we were never going to sign 11 or 12 studs at the first time of asking.

We have another window to add to the squad now and I hope we dip into the market not for short term loans but maybe a permanent face or 2 to build for next season when loans will be departing and were into a new cycle of incomings and outgoings.

I think the business we've done over the last 12 months has been good. We got in a couple of players that really pulled us to safety january last year and ensured we ended the season in a confortable position. Fast forward to now and we've had some signings hit the ground running, we've had some like mcgrandles that are really starting to get into their stride as their time with us progresses and with the exception of tshibola I dont think we've been sold a dud.

There are players in the squad that havent been able to string a sustained period of appearances together but we've seen what they are capable of and hopefully that spells success for next season.

There are a couple of players whose names I wont mention that it doesnt seem to be working. However I think on the whole, even with loans departing we have a really good nucleus of a squad. Like I say hopefully we can give robbie time to build on that in january and a summer recruitment to develop this squad and find a winning formula but like I say with such a turnaround we are on the right track and have done well with player recruitment but of course we need to build that squad harmony that a year together will bring, keep adding to this nucleus as each transfer window passes and the odd one or two that dont work will naturally be replaced by the more that do have whats needed and most importantly what we need is to get these players fit and a sustained period of playing a stable starting Xl.

What I saw yesterday was a team that fought together, for their manager and fans despite the messages the fans have been under the impression of.

Yesterday we had many first timers or for want of a better word "day trippers", I expect they will have been blown away by the fight and atmosphere. Im naturally a bit of a gobshite, but their were none of the normal funny looks from the prawn sandwich brigade. I thought to a man, everyone pulling for mk dons were exceptional and I saw a side to many familiar faces that I hadnt. Im not one for instigating a rallying cry or preaching but we really need to come together and make sure this isnt a one off. If we could all take that apetite and entheusiasm into every game and do our bit to galvanise the team and pull them up by the scruff of their neck it would he great. Yesterday was the stadium mk weve been posting for years saying we want to see, lets not look at each other funny or give exuberant fans jip again for getting amongst it. That wall of loud fans right through the entire cowshed are what dreams are made of.

Whilst weve been critical of robbie it would be unfair not to give him so much credit for yesterday. He showed the fight and passion giving the ref a piece of his mind, fist pumping from the touchline and constantly in communication with the dug out after his sending off. He made the right calls and brave call not to bring another defender on after not only 1 but 2 sendings off. He made the right call to keep us on the front foot to get that goal. He also got every substitution spot on in my eyes. Chuks came off when he was close to running himself into the ground and prevented a fatigue injury, mcgrandles likewise after running himself into the ground and pawlett to likewise prevent injury. He brought on muirhead who offered some height and energy, bit of a nuisance. He brought on agard for that counter attacking threat and bought on upson for his experience and fresh legs who got about and made some strong tackles. To me yesterday was a bit of a tactical master class when defeat looked the only outcome if you wasnt watching the game and saw the numerical disadvantage.

Having said that we now need to find a way to beat teams when we are on the front foot and put games to bed. That takes confidence though, hope the boys got the deserved confidence after yesterday.

Im firmly robbie in now. I lost sight of a lot of the points ive made but I think we need to get behind this team, recognise rome wasnt built over night and some including myself need to accept theres more than 1 way to win a football match.

It'll be understandable if we dont see the same level of heroics tomorrow as yesterday given some are spent, some wont be risked to play and some are suspended but we need to recognise that and accept it wont be the same game but we cant accuse the team and staff of not caring now.

Tomorrow will be hard but hopefully it will be 12 vs 11 if we turn up in numbers, united, vocal and as defiant as yesterday.

Good luck.

Coyds

Post subject: Re: My Ramblings
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:46 pm 

See that, we don't need well thought out, balanced posts on here.
Begone with sensible nonsense like that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:53 pm 

Great write up!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:09 pm 

Cheers guys. Just waiting for keyser to come in and tell me off for writing too much. Ive balanced it out with a one sentence post on another thread :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:22 pm 
Good post.

I just hope whatever we do in this window and in the next, if Neilson is still here by some miracle, that people aren't going to be giving him extra time/excuses just because he's got rid of and brought in a few players and saying the new team "needs to gel". EVERY club does the same thing every summer at this level, it's no excuse for us.

I would like to see more permanently signed players, but we cannot compromise on quality purely for that reason.

My other main focus would be on ensuring our best players don't leave, and if they do, then it has to be an absolute priority for us to replace them with equal quality or superior quality.

We didn't replace Reeves, Barnes or Baldock this season. We simply can't do the same again if we lose Chuks, he is pretty much carrying the team this season.

Last edited by FilthyDon on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:32 pm 

Fair points filthy. I wouldnt expect the turnaround to be as vast next season so that cant be an excuse. 2 players this window and 4-6 next window should allow for a smooth transition. We have the nucleus now, its about building on that and keeping it together.

Fortunately for us I think chuks just wants to play at a secure club he trusts and gives him that opportunity and I dont think he will be banging down the door asking for a move. I think he will still be here next season if were not tempted by the money. Just my speculation.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:24 pm 

Kempstondons6 wrote:
Great write up!

Well Gers is known for it..... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:34 pm 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
Cheers guys. Just waiting for keyser to come in and tell me off for writing too much. Ive balanced it out with a one sentence post on another thread :lol:

It's New Years Eve and I'm feeling mellow and am just about to go out. That's a good read. Happy New Year. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:48 pm 

I concour with that Beardie,

Especially with the ground coming alive with the home fans finding their voices, it was great to see people who normally sit and nod appreciation, stand up roaring on the team, booing the ref and cheering every ball hoofed out of defence.

A special atmosphere in a never to be forgotten game.....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:09 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Beardhidesboy64 wrote:

It's New Years Eve and I'm feeling mellow and am just about to go out. That's a good read. Happy New Year. :)

And who is 'mellow'? :shock: