THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:56 pm 

It is tempting. I think the weather has helped. A friend of mine did it about a month ago. He's only 58. Worked for the same company all of his life. Since he was 16. Went in one day and decided that he'd just had enough, and quit. He's actually gone to Egypt to teach kitesurfing of all things. The Current Mrs Gers went to see his wife last weekend, and she was saying that he's loving life obviously. My only thought where he's concerned is that he quite literally stopped working and went to an Egyptian resort just as summer is starting. He must feel like he's on holiday at the moment. Wonder how he'll feel waking up in Northampton on a cold Wednesday morning in January.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:02 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Just got back from a fantastic, chilled-out little holiday on Alderney. Great weather, quiet country walks, and seven pubs on an island of 2000 people. 8-)

Now it's a nice day, done my food shop and my washing, and I'm just about to go for a swim. Those of you who know where I live know how special days like this are in my part of the world. :D

We’re going to Guernsey in the summer and plan on doing Alderney and Sark on the ferries (different days obvs).

Good stuff. If you're only going for a day trip to Alderney, then the Campania would be my pick for lunch.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:38 pm 

Gers wrote:
It is tempting. I think the weather has helped. A friend of mine did it about a month ago. He's only 58. Worked for the same company all of his life. Since he was 16. Went in one day and decided that he'd just had enough, and quit. He's actually gone to Egypt to teach kitesurfing of all things. The Current Mrs Gers went to see his wife last weekend, and she was saying that he's loving life obviously. My only thought where he's concerned is that he quite literally stopped working and went to an Egyptian resort just as summer is starting. He must feel like he's on holiday at the moment. Wonder how he'll feel waking up in Northampton on a cold Wednesday morning in January.

Or ANY morning really. It has gone downhill rather dramatically from when I used to go there back in the 80s/90s. I was getting a coach to Birmingham airport a year or so ago and it stopped in the town centre at the pick up point. Driver opens door- immediate strong smell of grass and goes round to help load on bags. I go back to my book, then there is a lot of shouting and banging with the driver shouting 'don't do that on my f- coach' at someone who was p*ssing on one of the back wheels. Large crowd of what my dear old grandma would have called 'nerwelldoers' standing around very sloshed.

One of the junior ramones works there and tells me 'it is not a nice place'.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:44 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Gers wrote:

Or ANY morning really. It has gone downhill rather dramatically from when I used to go there back in the 80s/90s. I was getting a coach to Birmingham airport a year or so ago and it stopped in the town centre at the pick up point. Driver opens door- immediate strong smell of grass and goes round to help load on bags. I go back to my book, then there is a lot of shouting and banging with the driver shouting 'don't do that on my f- coach' at someone who was p*ssing on one of the back wheels. Large crowd of what my dear old grandma would have called 'nerwelldoers' standing around very sloshed.

One of the junior ramones works there and tells me 'it is not a nice place'.

Woked in Kettering from 2008 to 2010 and lived half of the in Northampton

Based on that experience if you are saying it has gone downhill then that is quite frankly frightening

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:14 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Just got back from a fantastic, chilled-out little holiday on Alderney. Great weather, quiet country walks, and seven pubs on an island of 2000 people. 8-)

Now it's a nice day, done my food shop and my washing, and I'm just about to go for a swim. Those of you who know where I live know how special days like this are in my part of the world. :D

We’re going to Guernsey in the summer and plan on doing Alderney and Sark on the ferries (different days obvs).

Good stuff. If you're only going for a day trip to Alderney, then the Campania would be my pick for lunch.

*thumbs up emoji*

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:17 pm 

Gers wrote:

You don't live in Shithampton. Stop prevaricating. Retire.

Life is precious (as you know, I've found that out all too seriously). Fuck heat pumps. Spend the rest of your time on the planet being the new Tony Wilson.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am 

Just as an aside. Not something that made me smile so much as shake my head in wonder.

I went into the Doc Martens shop yesterday. For a pair of their shoes, just the bog standard 3 eye shoe, they were asking no less than £190. I have a pair that I've had for ages, which I don't wear very often these days. Mine were made in Northampton. These days they're made in China. To be honest, I'm not paying £190 for a pair of Docs'. These used to be a symbol of the working class. Everyone used to have a pair when I was young. Almost two hundred quid for a pair of Docs!

Guess I must be getting old right enough. I went into a Budgens recently on the way home as I fancied a can of Coke. A single can of Coke is now £1.65. Which obviously I didn't buy.

Perhaps it's time to retire, as I'm sounding like a right old Mail reading bastard here.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:58 pm 

Didn't have any work booked in today, so i buggered off to the Oval for Surrey v Warwickshire. No excuse not to when the weather is this good.

Got a bit frazzled in the sunshine when I fell asleep, but being able to walk on the outfield barefoot in the lunch break made it all worthwhile.

Best £20 I've spent for a long time. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:28 pm 

Spent a full day in the garden, planting up my pots, hanging baskets and planters. Beautiful.

Off tonight to Stony for a meal and a few beers. What's not to like? :D

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:40 pm 

Gers wrote:
Just as an aside. Not something that made me smile so much as shake my head in wonder.

I went into the Doc Martens shop yesterday. For a pair of their shoes, just the bog standard 3 eye shoe, they were asking no less than £190. I have a pair that I've had for ages, which I don't wear very often these days. Mine were made in Northampton. These days they're made in China. To be honest, I'm not paying £190 for a pair of Docs'. These used to be a symbol of the working class. Everyone used to have a pair when I was young. Almost two hundred quid for a pair of Docs!

Guess I must be getting old right enough. I went into a Budgens recently on the way home as I fancied a can of Coke. A single can of Coke is now £1.65. Which obviously I didn't buy.

Perhaps it's time to retire, as I'm sounding like a right old Mail reading bastard here.

You went in the wrong shop...plenty of cheaper ones here from £40 ISH

https://www.schuh.co.uk/brands/dr-marte ... ge=3&va=1&

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next