THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: NME
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:25 pm 

Gone the way of the dinosaurs. Stopping it's print edition and going digital only.

I used to love it back in the late 70's and through the 80's. Couldn't wait until Thursday morning,  rushed down to the newsagent,  and quite literally read it from cover to cover.

Kids these days can have no concept of the importance it used to have. These days you can hear any new band you like at the click of a button. In my day you'd see a picture of some exotic creatures from Manchester,  read how pissed off they were with the man, pop up to Glasgow city centre,  hunt their album out, get home, and discover that you'd bought Unknown Pleasures.

We'll never see it's like again.

Post subject: Re: NME
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:00 pm 

Sad.

I used to have piles of old copies, from early 1978 till 1991. I think I missed 4 or 5 issues only in that timeframe.

As Gers says, it was hugely important at the time and a lot of good writers passed through it's ranks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 pm 

Danny Baker (him again) when receptionist, used to answer the 'phone thus...

"City morgue, you stab 'em, we slab 'em".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:40 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Sad.

I used to have piles of old copies, from early 1978 till 1991. I think I missed 4 or 5 issues only in that timeframe.

As Gers says, it was hugely important at the time and a lot of good writers passed through it's ranks.

Likewise.  Never missed a single issue from when I started buying it, summer '78, until I stopped, when they had Destiny's Child on the cover. My mother used to get it for me, and even when I'd left home and set up with the current Mrs Gers, she'd still buy it for me. So I'd pop 'round every Thursday evening and pick it up.

I actually still have a copy, the week my lad was born. It has Tim Burgess and Mark Gardener from Ride on the cover, and a very small article on some band called Jamiroquai as ones to watch. Came to fuck all them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:25 pm 

Gers wrote:
Likewise.  Never missed a single issue from when I started buying it, summer '78, until I stopped, when they had Destiny's Child on the cover.

Careful now, you'll probably get called a racist for that. :lol:
NME was never my thing, but it's always sad when things like this that define people's youth fall by the wayside.

"This is Kent Brockman with a special report from the Channel 6 News-Copter! A large bear-like animal - most likely a bear - has wandered down from the hills in search of food or, perhaps, employment! Please remain calm! Stay in your homes!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:44 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Gers wrote:
Likewise.  Never missed a single issue from when I started buying it, summer '78, until I stopped, when they had Destiny's Child on the cover.

NME was never my thing, but it's always sad when things like this that define people's youth fall by the wayside.

It wasn't down to them specifically, but it was always a paper for me. Destinys Child definitely weren't for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:50 pm 

Preferred the Melody Maker tbh 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 pm 

Gers wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Gers wrote:

It wasn't down to them specifically, but it was always a paper for me. Destinys Child definitely weren't for me.

Indeed

Its been deteriorating steadily since it went free - it's genuinely a struggle to find anything of interest in there now. To those of us of a certain age it fits hand in glove with Kanye West headlining Glastonbury, sort of marks the sad end of a era

Along with Sounds and occasionally Melody Maker these were the staples of music life each week, prompting many happy hours spend flicking through vinyl at the local record store

:(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:07 am 

I use the best, I use the rest....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:19 am 

When you consider that all it's competitors, Record Mirror, Sounds, Melody Maker, folded well over 20 years ago, then it's had a remarkable run.