THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:49 pm 

Magpie wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
It's all bollocks, get your news from Facebook and Twitter/X instead, it's funnier that way

:lol: I get the flippancy and could see myself posting exactly that sentence... but sadly, fuckwits believe that shit and they end up voting in orange coloured liars, or attacking vaccination centres.

Roll on global warming and AI, and the inevitable lingering death of our species. It's probably for the best.

Are you ITK as to when this might materialise as I have a tax bill coming up shortly and you know, if I dont need to pay it I would rather not........

:lol: ChatGPT says it won't be this tax year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:49 pm 

I guess/think every generation tends to think (especially as it ages :( ) that "things are getting worse". This could be because all the norms/things they knew or trusted 'all those years ago' are now rapidly changing or have disappeared. Naturally this leads to anxiety.

Sadly, IMHO, the pace of change in the economy, politics and "society as a whole" - for whatever reasons...multiple reasons - has been so fast that many people are now marginalised and have no faith in 'the system'.

These reasons and the consequences of their occurrence are complicated but what I think is 'dangerous' now is that putative solutions are presented as being very simple, as 'common sense', as obvious. See Trump, see Brexit, see Braverman, et al. I stumbled across a Jim Davidson thing on youtube yesterday. I've never liked that man but this was just ghastly pandering to those who are being 'left behind'. Throw in a constant stream of f- words and it's worse than the 'pub bore' we can all recognise. But no, hey there are thousands of followers. I despair. I'm getting old...

Media such as The Mail reinforce this deliberately creating paranoia and the 'obvious solutions'. This leads to the danger of a charismatic person offering said obvious solutions which are going to cause chaos. Look at Johnson. Look at Trump. That is what I mean by 'dangerous'.

Just to reiterate what I said three years ago when I had a hip replacement.... If the 'send em back brigade' had succeeded I'd still be sitting at home in agony since my GP is Sri Lankan, the surgeon (brilliant chap) was I think from Pakistan, the anaesthetist was (a charming) Indian lady who told me all about her family as she tried to calm me down ahead of the op. The nurses were all African - I DON'T mean 'black' (which they were) but were from Zimbabwe. One of the physios was white mind you so that's a triumph for the uk ;)

Dear lawd...I've only had two glasses of wine too.......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:20 am 

I've decided to have a wee break from here for a while as certain folk are behaving like complete ladybits, but before I go I'll leave you with this morning's Mail headline. In the wake of the king's cancer diagnosis they lead with this...

'Meghan Markle smiles as she breaks cover near her 24m dollar home'.

They're not saying it's her fault, or that she's happy that he's got it, but ..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:54 pm 

Gers wrote:
I've decided to have a wee break from here for a while as certain folk are behaving like complete ladybits, but before I go I'll leave you with this morning's Mail headline. In the wake of the king's cancer diagnosis they lead with this...

'Meghan Markle smiles as she breaks cover near her 24m dollar home'.

They're not saying it's her fault, or that she's happy that he's got it, but ..

(Arnie voice) "He'll be back"....