THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dr Who
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:12 pm 

Hmmm! Well I'm going to have to watch it again.
Plusses:
    A good plot.
    For young kids some genuinely scary scenes - the dolls attacking donna and that puppet of the bloke at the start
    Superb acting by 'The Toymaker'
    Very good lines delivered by said Villain about what he's done about what people think/why they are angry. Superb link to 'real world' attitudes
    The Doctors responses - usual quickfire stuff from Tennant. Well scripted.
    (Taken together I thought this 'worked' well)
    Nice to see 'Mel' again - in a serious role
    As a tree hugging veggie I'm glad The Doctor put a forcefield around the rabbits ;)

However....
    Radical departure from all that has gone before at the end - that's not to say I think it was 'wrong' but at times it didn't seem to 'gel'
    Two Doctors in same timeline?
    It seemed to me there was a distinct Eddie Murphyish few gestures/words from the new doctor - again I'm not saying that's 'wrong' (especially as I rather like EM's wisecracking style) but if that's how The Doctor is going to behave (at times) it'll take some getting used to.

Post subject: Re: Dr Who
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:15 pm 

Moles!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:35 am 

It's a timeline thing. 15 (Ncuti) is effectively ripped from the future and forced to come out early but he still has the experience of what 14 (Tennant mark 2) is about to go through.

There's umpteen Doctor's running around at the same time though. In 2012 for example we had Chris Ecclestone in the Dalek episode, DT in the Olympic episode and then Matt Smith was the incumbent of the time. That's what happens with time travel.

The bigeneration thing could have been handled a bit better with a little more explanation, but in a show where a person can literally change their face to be anything then honestly part of it just needs to be viewed through a lense of 'I don't truly understand it but that's fun'.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:54 pm 

Yes although they don't usually exist permanently (insofar as the doctor is permanent) in the same timeline do they? We all know then 'run into each other' occasionally but this is different. My brain hurts from trying to think it through!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:34 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Yes although they don't usually exist permanently (insofar as the doctor is permanent) in the same timeline do they? We all know then 'run into each other' occasionally but this is different. My brain hurts from trying to think it through!

Usually them meeting each other causes issues but so long as they don't do that I think they're good, though there was a throwaway joke under Capaldi I think where he said he was at the same event three times.

They've actually gone even further now behind the scenes and basically said that each regeneration was itself its own bigeneration, so we actually have closer to 20 running around time and space at the same time :lol: The Tom Baker curator from the 50th anniversary? Now possibly the actual 4th Doctor in retirement.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:55 pm 

If you can have two Popes you can have two Doctors. Liked that the Logie Baird image is real

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:57 pm 

On a different point. Very splenetic outburst from Christopher Eccleston recently about the situation he was in during his time as 9th doctor (We all know he wasn't happy). Some clarification.
He clearly doesn't like Russell T Davis and others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwdjVLqnv_k

Jump in at 15.15 if you like. That's when he 'starts'.
I liked him in it and was mighty grateful for the reboot but I don't think he's ever going to feature again except as an out-take/existing clip. Like I say, he ain't happy.
That's not the end of the world by any means - I preferred Tennant anyway - but still kinda ;) a shame.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:47 am 

It’s no surprise that Ecclestone has stated he felt let down by the showrunners during his year and the controversy around Noel Clarke and John Barrowman have come to light. It’s a shame as he was an excellent and underused Doctor. At least he’s on Big Finish (the audio series) so he’s not totally out of the role, but the likelihood of ever seeing him reprise the role on screen is really low as it would be 2028 at the earliest at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:16 pm 

Lookin' forward to tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:00 pm 

Hmmmmm! Thoughts anyone?
'Picked up towards the end' is what I'll say.