THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:43 am 

As the title says really. Not taking the piss or looking to wind anyone up. I'm genuinely curious and interested in your views. As you may know I'm from Belfast and across the water can sometimes feel like a world a way in terms of politics. What is the perception of both the Conservatives and labour in Milton Keynes?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:44 am 

Two cheeks of the same arse. This country is fucked either way. Very unlikely I'll vote for anyone.

BTW I'm in Belfast for a few days with a friend this weekend - any pub recommendations?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:47 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Two cheeks of the same arse. This country is fucked either way. Very unlikely I'll vote for anyone.

BTW I'm in Belfast for a few days with a friend this weekend - any pub recommendations?

I knew I could count on you for a reply Dan :D Would you not consider voting for an alternative? (Are there even any alternatives?)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:51 am 

Ormeau wrote:
I knew I could count on you for a reply Dan :D Would you not consider voting for an alternative? (Are there even any alternatives?)

The Lib Dems, in fairness, have always had a reasonable presence in MK, especially at local level. But I'm just incredibly jaded and cynical with politics as a whole now.

If you look at the electoral history, MK tends to be a strong bellwether of national results. Using MK North (or NE as it was) as an example, the party that has got in has won the election overall every time bar one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:56 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:

Just seen the more important part of this!

You are in luck Belfast has an endless list of excellent pubs. There is an area near the city Centre called the Cathedral Quarter with a number of good pubs. The Duke of York is quite iconic so worth a visit. I am also a big fan of one called the Spaniard (just around the corner from Duke of York) although it is small and can be hard to get a table. If you are in the south of the City near the University there is a bar call the Empire which is always quite lively in the evenings. If you are looking for an excellent pint of Guinness I recommend Bittles Bar close to the city centre - but be warned the owner is a notorious arsehole to the point of banning soft drinks and kicking people out for ordering cocktails (its all a big strange act but it works as people love to try get in his rather old and miserable bar for a pint).

Be warned (again) though getting a Taxi's on a Saturday night can be a fucking nightmare - do not rely on this as a plan for getting home. Uber is a safer bet although can be pricey. Belfast is pretty compact and walkable so getting around is usually easy enough. Despite what you might hear it is also generally a very safe and friendly city.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:00 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Ormeau wrote:

The Lib Dems, in fairness, have always had a reasonable presence in MK, especially at local level. But I'm just incredibly jaded and cynical with politics as a whole now.

If you look at the electoral history, MK tends to be a strong bellwether of national results. Using MK North (or NE as it was) as an example, the party that has got in has won the election overall every time bar one.

This resonates with me very strongly - over here our politics has collapsed and it feels futile at times.

Can't say I've ever thought highly of the Lib Dems, but they have essentially zero presence in Northern Ireland so I've never had a reason to read their policies. Would MK be quite transient in terms of voting patterns?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:16 pm 

Would never vote Tory, especially as they look to go more right wing. I can't vote little Tory Starmer and the waste of space Liberals. So, the only thing left is a protest vote with the Greens. MK South will no doubt go with the national swing, not sure about MK North.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:19 pm 

Ormeau wrote:
Just seen the more important part of this!

You are in luck Belfast has an endless list of excellent pubs. There is an area near the city Centre called the Cathedral Quarter with a number of good pubs. The Duke of York is quite iconic so worth a visit. I am also a big fan of one called the Spaniard (just around the corner from Duke of York) although it is small and can be hard to get a table. If you are in the south of the City near the University there is a bar call the Empire which is always quite lively in the evenings. If you are looking for an excellent pint of Guinness I recommend Bittles Bar close to the city centre - but be warned the owner is a notorious arsehole to the point of banning soft drinks and kicking people out for ordering cocktails (its all a big strange act but it works as people love to try get in his rather old and miserable bar for a pint).

Be warned (again) though getting a Taxi's on a Saturday night can be a fucking nightmare - do not rely on this as a plan for getting home. Uber is a safer bet although can be pricey. Belfast is pretty compact and walkable so getting around is usually easy enough. Despite what you might hear it is also generally a very safe and friendly city.

All good, thanks very much. Duke of York is already on our list, and we'll check out some of the others. We're staying within walking distance/short bus ride of the centre, but I appreciate the heads-up on the taxis!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:13 pm 

In answer to the question... no.

In regards to other points made on this thread. I've always voted, ever since I was 18. I'm 61 now. I vote in local elections right through to general elections. My father drummed it into me from an early age that you should always vote. It's a cliché, but folk have given their lives for that right.

Some context. I was a member of the Labour Party for years, I'm not now. I've always voted Labour ever since I could, apart from twice. Once I voted Lib Dem because I thought that they would go into collaboration with Labour and keep the Conservatives out of power. That worked out well! And I didn't vote for them last time simply because of Corbyn. My wife's Jewish, I couldn't vote for someone like that. That also worked out well!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:17 pm 

I live in Aylesbury which come the election will have had a Tory MP for the last hundred years!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next