THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:40 pm 

Interesting results. The Tories got their deserved and expected kicking, but Labour have picked up less than half the seats the Tories lost. Big gains for lots of smaller parties, and especially independent candidates.

Suggests to me that a lot of people are fed up with both major parties. If I was Starmer, I'd be pretty disappointed tbh.

EDIT TO ADD: Labour has lost overall control of Oldham council. Sir John Curtice on the Beeb suggests Labour's stance on Gaza is costing them a lot of Muslim votes. Labour needs to get them back on side if they want to get a decent majority at the GE.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

Last edited by Lieutenant Dan on Fri May 03, 2024 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 6:44 pm 

Some want to see him back.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:30 pm 

Supervisor number 5 wrote:
Some want to see him back.

What the man who couldn't vote as he had no photo ID. A policy he brought in. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:26 am 

As of this morning, Saturday May 4th at 6:20am, The Conservatives are down by 371 seats. Labour up by 204. Lib Dems up 92. Greens up 58. And other parties combined down by 5.

So yep'. If I were Kier, as I'm going to call him from now on, I'd be a bit pissed off as well.

In all seriousness. No one seems to be mentioning the turn out, which in some constituencies was as low as 10%. That's shocking. Still, as long as those 10% voted Labour I don't care.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:38 am 

Gers wrote:
As of this morning, Saturday May 4th at 6:20am, The Conservatives are down by 371 seats. Labour up by 204. Lib Dems up 92. Greens up 58. And other parties combined down by 5.

So yep'. If I were Kier, as I'm going to call him from now on, I'd be a bit pissed off as well.

To play devil's advocate council elections are very different to Parliamentary ones for example there will likely be under 5 possible none of the 650 seats that go to independents, the Green Party are targeting 4 seats they think they can win and most predictions fail to give Reform a good chance in any individual seats.
Add to that Scotland looks likely to see Labour pick up a large swathe of SNP seats which will bolster Labour considerably and the Lib Dems peak performance is in the 50-70 range of which a lot are taken from Conservatives, I think the picture for Labour is quite healthy.
In an ideal world I would like to see Labour with a 75ish seat majority which will allow them to govern effectively and hopefully bring some optimism back to the country.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:02 am 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Gers wrote:

To play devil's advocate council elections are very different to Parliamentary ones for example there will likely be under 5 possible none of the 650 seats that go to independents, the Green Party are targeting 4 seats they think they can win and most predictions fail to give Reform a good chance in any individual seats.
Add to that Scotland looks likely to see Labour pick up a large swathe of SNP seats which will bolster Labour considerably and the Lib Dems peak performance is in the 50-70 range of which a lot are taken from Conservatives, I think the picture for Labour is quite healthy.
In an ideal world I would like to see Labour with a 75ish seat majority which will allow them to govern effectively and hopefully bring some optimism back to the country.

The trouble is that they are going to do b'all with it. Don't expect any meaningful action on poverty, health or the environment or investing in Britain' future.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:05 am 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Gers wrote:

The trouble is that they are going to do b'all with it. Don't expect any meaningful action on poverty, health or the environment or investing in Britain' future.

Glad to see you are bringing the optimism back :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:13 am 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Gers wrote:

It's reality. If they haven't already cancelled a pledge, they will do so when they are elected or put it back in the long grass. The only thing they will have money for is items on the Tory agenda, like defence and nuclear deterent.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:28 am 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
MKAylesburyDon wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Gers wrote:

It's reality. If they haven't already cancelled a pledge, they will do so when they are elected or put it back in the long grass. The only thing they will have money for is items on the Tory agenda, like defence and nuclear deterent.

They're going to spend a shed load of cash on not being The Tories. That's good enough for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:40 am 

I lost interest in politics years ago as I have never benefitted whoever has been in power.
I’ve written to my local MP on several occasions on local issues, that remain the same today.
I’ve written to my local council again on several occasions, and yes again those issues still remain.
I lived through more budgets than I care to remember and I can’t recall being better off after even one of them……why……possibly because I owned my own home, worked full time, liked a drink and a ciggy, and always had a car……..I am possibly a mainstream voter……and politics rarely benefits the ordinary man in the street……normally only the idle, and the idle rich, and now it seems the diverse.
I’ve voted for different parties, and let down by them all, and all I can say is if the likely winners this time round change things I will be mightily surprised……if you think otherwise I’m going to suggest you are naive.
Nothing ever changes……only the colour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next