THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:36 pm 

It's gesture politics. The fact that only a few hundred will go won't matter. The press will show it as a victory.

IF they ever go.
No one seems to ask, never mind the court challenges. "What if someone doesn't go peacefully"?

So are they going to be handcuffed at Heathrow all the way to the plane. Suppose they are kicking and screaming and won't sit down?
Clamps on legs too?

How long to Rwanda? 7 hours? What if they (all) fight all the way during the flight? Currently, if one passenger makes a significant 'fuss' on a plane it can get diverted by the pilot so the person can be arrested. What if the whole lot are doing it? All the way? How many security staff are going to be needed? What happens when they need the toilet and they decide to lock themselves in?

We live in interesting, if depressing, times.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:31 am 

For those of us in the north MK constituency, our MP, the honourable Iain Stewart, voted to deport folk to Rwanda. Not particularly honourable that. They were outdoing themselves yesterday to to be the biggest Ladybit, and on the day when an asylum seeker took his on life on that stupid barge. They're a despicable party.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:01 am 

dons50 wrote:
Gers wrote:
I'll be upfront here, I'm pro immigration. When I was in hospital back in the summer the whole of the health system was populated by immigrants.

The company I work for couldn’t function without foreign labour. It’s not about salaries. It’s about availability of people with the right skills and attitude.

I started working in the construction industry last year after an absence of 40 odd years. Since Brexit it's an industry that's on its knees. The mass departure of Eastern European workers has decimated the workforce. Suffice to say I wouldn't touch a new build house with a barge pole. For example I went to a site in Milton Keynes last summer where the site manager was 24 years old. 24! What experience does a 24 year old have? This country's absolutely fucked without foreign labour.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:06 pm 

Gers wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Gers wrote:
I'll be upfront here, I'm pro immigration. When I was in hospital back in the summer the whole of the health system was populated by immigrants.

The company I work for couldn’t function without foreign labour. It’s not about salaries. It’s about availability of people with the right skills and attitude.

I started working in the construction industry last year after an absence of 40 odd years. Since Brexit it's an industry that's on its knees. The mass departure of Eastern European workers has decimated the workforce. Suffice to say I wouldn't touch a new build house with a barge pole. For example I went to a site in Milton Keynes last summer where the site manager was 24 years old. 24! What experience does a 24 year old have? This country's absolutely fucked without foreign labour.[/quote]

Nonsense. All those so called disabled people and the 'mentally ill' can have their benefits stopped until they do it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:34 am 

“They are clearly not achieving what they set out to do, and the consequence of this is that we will see the same scenes of ambulances waiting outside emergency departments, and if you are inside an emergency department, people receiving care in corridors. Last year was awful and this year is only just a tiny bit better, nowhere near where we need to be, and nowhere near the position we hoped we would be. It is very disappointing because it is an utterly predictable and largely preventable problem. It is not a surprise that winter comes along every year.”

This from Dr Adrian Boyle, president of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine last night in regards to the government's response to the looming emergency in health care. While the good Dr Boyle was frantically trying to organise the NHS's response to emergency care, the PM was swanning around at a festival in Rome organised by the far-right Brothers of Italy party, led by the Italian premier Giorgia Meloni. Also present were Edi Rama, the Albanian prime minister, who himself has some 'interesting' views on migration, Santiago Abascal, the leader of Spain’s rightwing Vox party, and obviously Musk.

So, while the NHS is yet again on the verge of collapse, our Prime Minister hobnobs with neo-fascists. When you consider their views on legal migration, the fact that the leader of the government thinks that kissing Meloni on the cheek at what is basically a far right rally tells you all you need to know about both Sunak and the party he leads.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:45 pm 

My dentist informed me last week that they were no longer treating adults on the NHS because of a withdrawal of funding and I had two choices - take out a care plan at £20 a month or 'pay as you go'. (Or go somewhere else).

Now I didn't want to be seen to be being disruptive and 'struck off' but my questions did not get entirely straight answers. If this is profiteering by the dentist then, roll eyes, hey ho what's new with any business these days but if the withdrawal/reorganisation of funding is true (surely must be the whole area not just one practice?) then that really is poor. Access to health care is dreadful enough already.....
Anyone know anything/had a similar experience?

Edit: Just found this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67754983

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:05 pm 

Russel Martin gets a bad press on here. However, good on him to snub Rishi Sunak.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/no-int ... ell-martin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:01 pm 

I am just so pleased they lost those two by-elections.
Vile lot. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:06 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
I knew I could count on you for a reply Dan :D Would you not consider voting for an alternative? (Are there even any alternatives?)

The Lib Dems, in fairness, have always had a reasonable presence in MK, especially at local level. But I'm just incredibly jaded and cynical with politics as a whole now.

If you look at the electoral history, MK tends to be a strong bellwether of national results. Using MK North (or NE as it was) as an example, the party that has got in has won the election overall every time bar one.

That's what they are hoping. That they break your spirits that you can't be arsed to vote. Don't waste it. Even if you put a tick in the box for greens or reform or even the libs it's still a vote. I believe it will be a hung parliament. There are too many con strongholds still and labour won't gain as much as the cons did 14 years ago. I would be so shocked if they won. They fucked up this country good and proper 4 years ago. Something we are still to this day paying for.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:37 am 

There’s zero chance of Labour not winning the next election. Rachel Reeves has given them credibility. She’s smart, understands economics and also understands the importance of businesses generating profits.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 33  Next