THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Confined To Barracks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:47 am 

One week in…

Being as I’m confined to bed for a couple of weeks, with visits to the loo along the landing as far as I’ve gone, here’s what I’ve been up to.

I’ve watched every televised football game, and a couple of games in The Hundred.
Four seasons of Strike on the iPlayer.
Finished Strange New Worlds.
Watched an eight part series on BBC Four about the Roman Colosseum.
Highlander the movie, which is not as good as I remembered it. Really poor production values.
The Dark Knight. Still great, and Heath Ledger is still the best Joker.
Gave Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Among Thieves a go and wasted two hours of my life.
Rewatched The Sandman, and was pleasantly surprised to discover an extra bonus episode at the end that’s been subsequently added since last year.
Talking of rewatching, I gave The Hacienda - The Club That Shook Britain another spin.
I also watched a documentary about some gig promoters called Pollen which reminded me of the Fyre debacle a few years ago. I'd recommend it. Find it on BBC Three
I also watched Wednesday on Netflix, which I enjoyed immensely. It's great, you should watch it.
Listened to loads of podcasts, and obviously every episode of The Archers.
Got to page 535 of Robert Galbraith’s (I know who it is, you don’t need to tell me, and that’s why I watched Strike on the telly) The Ink Black Heart, which weighs in at a hefty 1221 pages. Boy oh boy can that girl write.
And generally been treated like a king by my beautiful wife.

So there you go. It’s amazing what you can accomplish in a single week if you put your mind to it.

Post subject: Re: Confined To Barracks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am 

Gers wrote:
One week in…

Being as I’m confined to bed for a couple of weeks, with visits to the loo along the landing as far as I’ve gone, here’s what I’ve been up to.

I’ve watched every televised football game, and a couple of games in The Hundred.
Highlander the movie, which is not as good as I remembered it. Really poor production values.
Gave Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Among Thieves a go and wasted two hours of my life.
Rewatched The Sandman, and was pleasantly surprised to discover an extra bonus episode at the end that’s been subsequently added since last year.
Talking of rewatching, I gave The Hacienda - The Club That Shook Britain another spin.
I also watched a documentary about some gig promoters called Pollen which reminded me of the Fyre debacle a few years ago. I'd recommend it. Find it on BBC Three
I also watched Wednesday on Netflix, which I enjoyed immensely. It's great, you should watch it.
Got to page 535 of Robert Galbraith’s (I know who it is, you don’t need to tell me, and that’s why I watched Strike on the telly) The Ink Black Heart, which weighs in at a hefty 1221 pages. Boy oh boy can that girl write.

So there you go. It’s amazing what you can accomplish in a single week if you put your mind to it.

If I can recommend something ……TV film “Marvellous” starring Toby Jones, a true story about the Stoke City kit man……and I know you have a penchant for a good kit man.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:27 am 

WellDon wrote:
Gers wrote:
One week in…

If I can recommend something ……TV film “Marvellous” starring Toby Jones, a true story about the Stoke City kit man……and I know you have a penchant for a good kit man.

Seen it already. Going to hammer the arse off of this book today, and if I've time before the Chelsea game tonight watch another season of Strike. I've also got three podcasts to get through, albeit I've done the Rangers one already, and also listened to last night's Archers.

It's all go here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:42 am 

Thats dome impressive numbers there gers! Alot of people i know couldnt get half that done without procrastinating on the mobile phones scrolling and scrolling. Good to hear youve made the most of the situation. Hope you continue to recover well!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:21 am 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
Thats dome impressive numbers there gers! Alot of people i know couldnt get half that done without procrastinating on the mobile phones scrolling and scrolling. Good to hear youve made the most of the situation. Hope you continue to recover well!

Yes indeedy.
There's two (substantial) Clash books you might like if you can get hold of them/haven't already read them:
Last Gang In Town - Marcus Gray
Redemption Song - Chris Salewicz

'On the road with the Ramones' (Melnick) is quite good too but is an an import I think and can be pricey.
All the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:59 am 

Aliramone wrote:
Beardhidesboy64 wrote:

Yes indeedy.
There's two (substantial) Clash books you might like if you can get hold of them/haven't already read them:
Last Gang In Town - Marcus Gray
Redemption Song - Chris Salewicz

'On the road with the Ramones' (Melnick) is quite good too but is an an import I think and can be pricey.
All the best.

(Consults spreadsheet) I'm fine for books actually. I'm currently on page 605 of this massive bloody thing, which I think would be right up your street btw, then I'm on yet another Niven. Then believe it or not, I picked Bono's up in the Willen bookshop in Stony for £2 brand-new. God alone knows what that'll be like.

As soon as I'm allowed up I'm intending to spend most days in my 32 track studio messing around with music. But to be fair, this first week hasn't been too bad. Not too much pain. When you consider what I've had done that's a bit of a miracle. The Current Mrs Gers has been outstanding. In almost 40 years together she's never looked after me like this. Almost worth having your foot amputated just for the attention ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:23 am 

Watch Mr Inbetween on Disney+. Gave it a glowing review a few months ago, really easy 3 season in 2 days kinda watch.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:23 pm 

2014/15 season DVD is on YouTube!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:08 am 

Start of the fourth week and I'm reduced to watching Homes Under The Fucking Hammer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:08 pm 

WellDon wrote:

I actually went to uni at Keele and he was always knocking around the students Union. Lovely bloke and a great story so I second your recommendation.