THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Twitter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:11 am 

Threads looks great. Once more people join it and your home page is more about who you follow rather than them pushing whatever brand or celebrity to fill your page up (supposedly just for the early days) then I can see myself using it a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:14 am 

DippyDon wrote:
Threads looks great. Once more people join it and your home page is more about who you follow rather than them pushing whatever brand or celebrity to fill your page up (supposedly just for the early days) then I can see myself using it a lot.

19m downloads already apparently. Fastest downloaded app in history.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:32 pm 

kind of a strange launch for a social media. having influencers and brands pre-registered and then released to the great unwashed.

I guess it's how it is done to be brand friendly which I imagine is the big appeal for companies not having to deal with the unknown with twitter. Not having a search is kind of shocking but I heard it is coming eventually. But my home is full of white women influencers and tech bros. Would be nice if it was just populated by people I follow.. but again.. probably designed that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:03 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
and your home page is more about who you follow rather than them pushing whatever brand or celebrity to fill your page up

Until this happens I won’t be bothering. I registered and despite following a fair number of people on Instagram who are also now on Threads I have to scroll a long way down to see them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:22 pm 

Casual Bystander wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
and your home page is more about who you follow rather than them pushing whatever brand or celebrity to fill your page up

Until this happens I won’t be bothering. I registered and despite following a fair number of people on Instagram who are also now on Threads I have to scroll a long way down to see them.

Yeah it needs a fair amount of improvement. They rushed the release due to the current situation with Twitter. Hopefully they can get new functionality, such as keyword search and a 'for you' page implemented quickly before people leave.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:48 am 

Casual Bystander wrote:
DippyDon wrote:

Totally agree. Until they get rid of people I don't know, and don't follow, I'll reserve judgment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:20 pm 

Apart from being on here I don't do any social media (if indeed this is 'social media'?) and it sounds fascinating but I have no idea what people are going on about - and kinda proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:42 pm 

Poor old Musk and he is considerably poorer, bangs on about freedom of speech, yet threatens to sue when he doesn't like what's said about his X rated twitter.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... s-desert-x

His rockets are crap too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:12 am 

Everyone still using this Threads then?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:22 am 

Towcestrian wrote:
Everyone still using this Threads then?

Browse it regularly enough, though the only 'thread' I update is the grounds I visit this season and as I haven't managed an away game since Crawley it's been quiet for a while.

It's nowhere near as popular as X/Twitter is still but it's nice enough, and there are some people I enjoyed following that have abandoned the original for Threads so keeping up with them is fun.