THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Food banks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:48 pm 

Now there's (at least) two ways to look at this issue:
1) As food is free, as with anything with zero price (i.e. cost to the individual) they are bound to be heavily utilised.
2) They are a response to the fact that for whatever reason (increasingly) people simply do not have enough money to live on even if in full time employment.

A few days ago a Tory MP was 'slapped down' by a cabinet minister for his comments.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... e1506261e7

Mr Rees-Mogg said something like "“The state can't do everything .....to have charitable support given by people voluntarily to support their fellow citizens, I think is rather uplifting and shows what a good compassionate country we are.”.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -uplifting

What ya think?

Post subject: Re: Food banks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:03 pm 

Seems to me that we are going back to the bad old days and they wiil be introducing Poor Laws soon. If we paid people a decent wage and invested in this country, we would need food banks. Instead we get patitudes as money is syphoned away. Brexit hasn't helped, except for a few, either. The biggest con this century.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:03 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
1) As food is free, as with anything with zero price (i.e. cost to the individual) they are bound to be heavily utilised.
2) They are a response to the fact that for whatever reason (increasingly) people simply do not have enough money to live on even if in full time employment.

A few days ago a Tory MP was 'slapped down' by a cabinet minister for his comments.

Mr Rees-Mogg said something like "“The state can't do everything .....to have charitable support given by people voluntarily to support their fellow citizens, I think is rather uplifting and shows what a good compassionate country we are.”.

What ya think?

Rees-Mogg is a kunt. That's what I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:05 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Aliramone wrote:

What ya think?

Rees-Mogg is a kunt. That's what I think.

TGGI

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:50 pm 

I see that the MP who thinks 'meals can be cooked for 30p' and that those who use food banks 'can't budget' is now the Conservative deputy chair. Naturally he supports the death penalty and wants the navy to pick up refugees and sail back to Calais with them to cause a 'stand off'.

From The Guardian: "Anderson achieved notoriety even before entering parliament with a Facebook video diatribe about nuisance tenants on a local housing estate. These, Anderson opined, should be made to live “in a tent in the middle of a field” and pick vegetables for 12 hours a day before a cold shower. Subsequently trailed by a camera crew around his constituency, Anderson won support for these views from a man on the doorstep – but his microphone revealed the would-be MP had apparently phoned the man in advance, telling him to “make out you know who I am, that you know I’m the candidate but not that you are a friend”.

Common sense politics at last.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... sy-machine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:09 pm 

I would be happier about foodbanks if I could be sure that all who use them are really using them as a last resort.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:12 pm 

donmentor wrote:
I would be happier about foodbanks if I could be sure that all who use them are really using them as a last resort.

Wow. Just… wow.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:05 am 

donmentor wrote:
"The moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life the sick, the needy” Hubert Humphrey.

The pertinent group in the above quote being the needy. Could you imagine being so desperate that you're reduced to going to a foodbank in order to feed your family? However, it's of little interest to me what the current government do any longer. Once they get voted out, which they most certainly will come the next election, it'll be decades before they are viewed as competent enough to be trusted. Hopefully.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:18 am 

It’s not one way or the other. You have to encourage wealth creation and you have to look after people unable to do so.

It’s possible to have the balance. Singapore is a good example.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:13 am 

Gers wrote:
donmentor wrote:
"The moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life the sick, the needy” Hubert Humphrey.

The pertinent group in the above quote being the needy. Could you imagine being so desperate that you're reduced to going to a foodbank in order to feed your family? However, it's of little interest to me what the current government do any longer. Once they get voted out, which they most certainly will come the next election, it'll be decades before they are viewed as competent enough to be trusted. Hopefully.

Quite right too. My point refers to the significant number of people who take unfair advantage of our welfare system. Who go to foodbanks, not because they need too, but because they can grab something for nothing.