THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Vivienne Westwood
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:03 pm 

The greatest designer to ever walk God’s green earth has died at 82.

I love clothes, I really do. I spend a stupid amount on them. Only yesterday I was in a Westwood shop. Picked up a truly wonderful jacket, but at almost £1000, The Current Mrs Gers had the final say. And that say was “No”. So I bought a smashing near as can be jacket for the more affordable sum of £250 from another outlet.

I’m a man of a certain age. I’m old enough to have been an original punk, and I loved both Malcolm and Vivienne. It was one of the best day’s of my life when I discovered that I was actually well off enough to afford to buy a Westwood piece. It’s a shirt, which I still have.

It’s shit news this, it really is. And as with Terry Hall, you feel the hand of the grim reaper on your shoulder once again.

Post subject: Re: Vivienne Westwood
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:26 pm 

Sad news. Mad old bat - proper English eccentric. Which is a Good Thing, obvs.

Unlike Terry H, her death doesn't spook me as much, as she was that bit older. But I have to say, the number of people I admired at age 20 is rapidly thinning down to a ridiculously small number.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:53 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Sad news. Mad old bat - proper English eccentric. Which is a Good Thing, obvs.

Unlike Terry H, her death doesn't spook me as much, as she was that bit older. But I have to say, the number of people I admired at age 20 is rapidly thinning down to a ridiculously small number.

I guess. The Current Mrs Gers has just said "Do you think she lied about her age?". She certainly looked a lot older than someone in their early 80's, and even if she was, that'd make her over 20yrs older than me. I just liked her and Malcolm. Thought they were brilliant. Along with Anthony H. Wilson, McLaren was one of those people I could listen to for hours. Banging on about situationism and other arty-farty nonsense. And there was Vivienne in the background, trying, and failing obviously, to keep him grounded.

Like you say, a mad old bat, but in all the good ways. I love folk like her. No compromise. Always looking to provoke. But she was married to her second husband for over 30yrs, a devoted grandmother, and she restored a Georgian town house in Clapham. I just liked her.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:12 pm 

God save the queen of fashion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:20 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
God save the queen of fashion.

Ooh I like that!
But 'ya know' (as Joey Ramone used to say in that voice of his - once described as 'a creepy bullfrog baritone) death is inevitable. It takes some people too early and others too late.
I'd never 'preach' on here (or anywhere) but if you believe in something after this earthly existence it can help....a bit....in the short term and, more so, in the long term. And I ain't talking about singing hymns in front of an old guy in a chair.

I'm not one for organised religion in any form - although it can clearly help some/many.

If you think 'thats it' after being here I'm not one to say you are 'wrong' (obvs) but, just don't dismiss it out of hand.
In some ways I can't believe I've written this and am going to press 'submit'.
Whatever. WTF.
Jesus drank wine - I think I'll follow his example. :D