The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Queen Elizabeth 11
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:24 pm 

RIP

Post subject: Re: Queen Elizabeth 11
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:50 am 

It is a very strange and not pleasant feeling this morning having lived through her whole reign to find she is no longer there in the background of my life.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:41 am 

I was brought up in a strongly prespterian household. My father had somewhat ‘interesting’ views on catholicism, and he was fiercely monarchist in his views on everything else. Indeed, we had a picture of her majesty on the wall of our council house throughout my 60’s & 70’s childhood. Like all children I just assumed that everyone was like that. That everyone admired her that way my father did. Like almost everyone else alive, she was the only monarch I knew. Until this morning. The strangest aspect of this for me personally is still hearing references to the king on the wireless this morning. That’s going to take a bit of getting used to.

Unlike my father, I have no strong views on the royal family one way or the other. I wish the new king the best of luck, because I genuinely think that he’s going to need it. Think back to what the world was like when his mother took the throne. The telly played the national anthem every night just before it shut down. You went to the cinema, and after the film finished and people were leaving, it was played again. And people actually stopped in deference. Can you imagine trying to explain that to young folk these days! You can only imagine what Ibrox was like. In fact there’s still a picture of her in the home changing room to this very day.

We were actually on holiday in France of all places when Diana died, so I missed the mass-hysteria surrounding that. I felt that the mood on the wireless last night was somewhat more of a celebration of her life rather than the doom and gloom some would foist on the nation at times like these. She reached her mid-nineties. I’ll consider myself satisfied if I get another twenty years. So she had a long life.

It’s going to be very interesting indeed going forward.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:33 am 

It is events like this which are a timely reminder that tomorrow will soon be yesterday and today will be gone forever.