THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Trade Unions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:42 pm 

There is so much anti-union misinformation in this thread you would think people got their information from a media with an agenda against Unions.
Sadly this country for the last decade has been fed a load of bullshit and those in power have seen the rich get richer whilst wages for the population as a whole have consistently fallen in real terms. Unions are fighting for those wages to keep pace with inflation and by doing so they indirectly improve wages for all, if wages in Unionised industries go up people have a choice to change jobs/careers and companies in other industries have a choice of increasing the wages for their staff or lose them to better paid jobs.
No-one should ever criticise a pay rise for anyone, never say but they shouldn't get x because nurses only get y, you need to say nurses need to get a pay rise.
Please stand with the workers and middle classes of this country and against the rich together we can improve the country for the majority rather than the rich.

Post subject: Re: Stupid trains!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:04 am 

Russybcool wrote:
Gers wrote:
This is what the establishment think of working people. They think we're lazy and work shy.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... more-graft

She's a tosser. Grade a fuck wit who will be no better than bojo the clown. Sounds like that's what we are having for the next 18 months. Whoopty fucking doo. I wonder if the people coming over in dingies can lend me one so I can go the other way. And I am sure the irony is not lost in her that the whole cabinet is on summer holiday like a bunch of adult schoolchildren whilst the country fucks itself. Its ironic that the new PM is announced on the 5th September cause thats when the kids go back to school by me.

And last evening in Perth she refused to explain, in fact the audience of Scottish Conservatives (if there is such a thing) applauded and cheered. That's Tory voters right there. They think that the working class should basically be thankful for even having a job, and thank their lucky stars that they even get paid for doing it. They loath the working class, and like her think that we're all lazy, stupid, work-shy ladybits. And yet the working class still vote for them. Unbelievable. But like Brexit, which has been proven to be an unmitigated disaster, Tory politicians will blatantly lie to your face, while simultaneously tell you that you're the problem, not them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:24 am 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
There is so much anti-union misinformation in this thread you would think people got their information from a media with an agenda against Unions.
Sadly this country for the last decade has been fed a load of bullshit and those in power have seen the rich get richer whilst wages for the population as a whole have consistently fallen in real terms. Unions are fighting for those wages to keep pace with inflation and by doing so they indirectly improve wages for all, if wages in Unionised industries go up people have a choice to change jobs/careers and companies in other industries have a choice of increasing the wages for their staff or lose them to better paid jobs.
No-one should ever criticise a pay rise for anyone, never say but they shouldn't get x because nurses only get y, you need to say nurses need to get a pay rise.
Please stand with the workers and middle classes of this country and against the rich together we can improve the country for the majority rather than the rich.

THIS!

Unions are the reason we have sick pay, holiday pay, weekends, maternity and paternity and so many more workers rights. Never take these things for granted. When they win a decent wage rise for some - it prompts a decent wage rise for all.

Post subject: Re: Stupid trains!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:28 am 

Russybcool wrote:
Locutus wrote:
donmentor wrote:
Does anyone else feel that it is morally unfair the way the Unions are using their industrial muscle to grab wage increases when the rest of us have to cope with the so called cost of living crisis as best as we can without any income increase.

Isn't that the point of a union though? I know I would be in one if I could.

It is nowadays. Back in the day they were fighting for fair working conditions that mainly included working hours minimum wage child and slave labour and improved worker safety. Thing is in 2022 most of those conditions are not really a problem in the UK as we have our head screwed on so the only thing they can moan about is wages and how it's damn unfair that train workers dont get 8% pay rises even though they were furloughed like most of the country and the train companies made minimal money in 2020 and most of 2021 and that the commuter will be the ones that suffer and then think twice about taking the train and therefore in a few years when most people will be priced out of taking the train they will lose their jobs and then go on strike again because it is unfair that we are losing our jobs. They are selfish and only out for number 1 and don't think of the long term effects of what they do, but they have to keep their paid up members happy I suppose.

The current UK government has been actively undermining all our right. Heads are distinctly not screwed on. It’s also completely fair to want better pay when literally everything costs more and your employer is making massive profits and paying board members and investors £500million a year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:25 pm 

BristolDon wrote:
It's a tough one. On the one hand it's a little hard to feel sympathy for train workers who are already on much much more than the national average wage and have repeatedly shown willingness to fuck with the general population who need to use their services. But on the other hand, there are insane profits being made by the people at the top, so why shouldn't that be filtered down and made its way to the workers (or better yet, used to reduce train fares for everyone). It's easy to blame the workers for the strike when the people at the top are refusing to accept more reasonable pay.

Fuck the lot of them I say.

Well not exactly IMHO....

I was severely inconvenienced last weekend by the strike but I eventually DID get to where I wanted to be.

OK..... "repeatedly shown willingness to fuck with the general population who need to use their services". This is a recent set of events. It has only occurred because of the ongoing cut in real wages. If any 'worker' anywhere is seriously expecting their employer to, without any 'pressure', come along with inflation matching never mind 'busting' pay rises they are mistaken. No wonder people strike.

"It's easy to blame the workers for the strike when the people at the top are refusing to accept more reasonable pay." Yup. Agree. It is finally starting to dawn on many people that 'the way pay is determined in many instances' (dudes - not comrades) means that it is very unequal. Unions help reduce that inequality. I make that as a statement not a judgement.

On another matter....tons of sh*t discharged into the seas around our coast in last few days rather than being processed. But hey, keep those bonuses for those at the top of the water companies coming! In fact aren't most of our water companies owned by the French? Hey who cares? Especially if your employment has become even more uncertain due to changes in legislation.

Very depressing. Still in Liz we truss.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:17 pm 

Of all people Daily Express Journalists are on strike. Probably because their job is harder as they've ran out of Madelaine McCann and Diana stories to print.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:28 pm 

jayosheaswonderwall wrote:
Of all people Daily Express Journalists are on strike. Probably because their job is harder as they've ran out of Madelaine McCann and Diana stories to print.

Next week is 25 years since Diana died, you'd think they'd want the overtime.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"