THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Football Manager
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:06 am 

Just curious how many other people play this and what's the furthest you've got MK.

In my save i'm doing at the minute (done loads, this is just my current one) it's the 23/24 season, we are first season in the Premier League, Ashley Fletcher is our club record goalscorer, Aaron Ramsey and Harry Winks are our central midfield, Mason Holgate and Reece Burke are our centre backs. Lewington is in my coaching staff with Peter Crouch my U21 manager.
I've intentionally not sold a couple of players, Callum Brittain is on loan at Plymouth, Joe Walsh is smashing it at Luton and Gilbey at Swindon too. Aneke was sold to a Belgian team for 150k as he only signed a one-year contract, i sold him in January 2020 as he refused a contract negotiation again and had to cash in. (Can you tell i'm playing it now? :lol: )
Luke Murphy, David Meyler, Matthia Bani, Neil Farrugia, Callum Gribbin, Cameron Brannigan, Guido Burgstaller and Andrea Favilli have all been big players in the growth of the club. Matt Oakley moved to be Middlesbrough manager and they paid a nice compensation fee for him- he was replaced by Kevin Phillips, he is very bad at team talks so can never give him control of them!

Post subject: Re: Football Manager
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:11 am 

2025/26 season with Dons. 4 times premier league champions (after successive promotions from L2 to premier league as champions each time), 3 times champions of Europe, 3 times FA Cup winners, 4 times league cup winners

Aneke banged in the goals on my rise to Premier League, but he wasn't up to Premier League standard and was sold after 1st season in premier league.

Somehow managed to sign Vinicius Junior on loan from Real Madrid in first season in Premier League, and his 30 goals from left wing is why we won the league.

Only Bailey Cargill is still with me from the original team, but is now 5th choice at centre back.

Notable players - Darren Bent scored plenty of goals to help us out of League 2. Joe Mason was a key signing in League 1, as was Matt Grimes from Swansea who scored lots of goals in L1 and Championship. Harvey Barnes and Tammy Abraham were key loans in the Championship. Vinicius Junior (loan then permanent), Raheem Sterling, Patrick Roberts, Reece Oxford, Miguel Almiron to name a few I have managed to attract in the premier league, mostly through them falling out of favour at their current clubs and being available at reduced transfer fees as a result.

I knew I was going to do well when Alex Gilbey scored a 30 yard volley in the 3rd minute of my first league match, a 5-0 win away at Oldham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:44 am 

Haven’t played in a while but got promoted to the Championship in consecutive seasons, most notable transfer was the resigning of Danny Collinge!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:29 pm 

midland don wrote:
2025/26 season with Dons. 4 times premier league champions (after successive promotions from L2 to premier league as champions each time), 3 times champions of Europe, 3 times FA Cup winners, 4 times league cup winners

Aneke banged in the goals on my rise to Premier League, but he wasn't up to Premier League standard and was sold after 1st season in premier league.

Somehow managed to sign Vinicius Junior on loan from Real Madrid in first season in Premier League, and his 30 goals from left wing is why we won the league.

Only Bailey Cargill is still with me from the original team, but is now 5th choice at centre back.

Notable players - Darren Bent scored plenty of goals to help us out of League 2. Joe Mason was a key signing in League 1, as was Matt Grimes from Swansea who scored lots of goals in L1 and Championship. Harvey Barnes and Tammy Abraham were key loans in the Championship. Vinicius Junior (loan then permanent), Raheem Sterling, Patrick Roberts, Reece Oxford, Miguel Almiron to name a few I have managed to attract in the premier league, mostly through them falling out of favour at their current clubs and being available at reduced transfer fees as a result.

I knew I was going to do well when Alex Gilbey scored a 30 yard volley in the 3rd minute of my first league match, a 5-0 win away at Oldham

They are bloody good signings! Free agents and loans are where i make my living on the game. I'm the Karl Robinson of FM. :lol: The bit that pisses me off about the game is when you sign backups and they then complain about a lack of match appearances, you then transfer list them and the whole team aren't happy at them feeling 'forced out of the club'.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:39 pm 

SteelbackDon wrote:
midland don wrote:

They are bloody good signings! Free agents and loans are where i make my living on the game. I'm the Karl Robinson of FM. :lol: The bit that pisses me off about the game is when you sign backups and they then complain about a lack of match appearances, you then transfer list them and the whole team aren't happy at them feeling 'forced out of the club'.

Darren Bent refused to sign at first, then I tried again when we had got off to a good start and he still didn't have a club and he signed. The Vinicius Junior one I just spotted he was available for a loan with no wage contribution required, so put a cheeky offer in thinking there was no chance I'd get him. Couldn't believe it when he agreed to sign.

I know what you mean when players moan. Try to avoid promising to start them, because they don't give you long. Most annoying thing is when you promise to start someone, they get injured, and then moan you haven't kept your promise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:50 pm 

midland don wrote:
SteelbackDon wrote:
midland don wrote:

Darren Bent refused to sign at first, then I tried again when we had got off to a good start and he still didn't have a club and he signed. The Vinicius Junior one I just spotted he was available for a loan with no wage contribution required, so put a cheeky offer in thinking there was no chance I'd get him. Couldn't believe it when he agreed to sign.

I know what you mean when players moan. Try to avoid promising to start them, because they don't give you long. Most annoying thing is when you promise to start someone, they get injured, and then moan you haven't kept your promise

I never promise to start, if they aren't in my team initially there's a reason. The one which is terrible is when they kick up a stink about not being sold. Its goddam hard to sell players if nobody wants them!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:00 pm 

SteelbackDon wrote:
midland don wrote:
SteelbackDon wrote:
midland don wrote:

I never promise to start, if they aren't in my team initially there's a reason. The one which is terrible is when they kick up a stink about not being sold. Its goddam hard to sell players if nobody wants them!

You have to offer them to clubs every few days until the end of the transfer window. I usually find if I do that they accept that I have been trying and say they are willing to wait. The one that annoyed me was a player who asked in September to be loaned, but I wasn't able to even offer them for loan until the start of the January transfer window, and they asked to leave in December for me breaking a promise. They only had to wait 2 more weeks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:04 am 

midland don wrote:
You have to offer them to clubs every few days until the end of the transfer window. I usually find if I do that they accept that I have been trying and say they are willing to wait. The one that annoyed me was a player who asked in September to be loaned, but I wasn't able to even offer them for loan until the start of the January transfer window, and they asked to leave in December for me breaking a promise. They only had to wait 2 more weeks!

I was very impressed I managed to get Bromley to pay 8k for Lawson D'Ath! I remember in a save I signed Sebastien Bassong as a free agent, immediately transfer-listed him and put him to not needed, a club paid money for him and it was more than the signing on fee cost and wages would've been- I was very impressed with my business there!

The worst one is where clubs ask for you to pay wages of sold players, yet if you ask Chelsea or someone similar to do the same for one of their reserves that are listed as not needed, you cannot stand a chance. Hardest bit of a Macclesfield save, you have no budget and immediately start with a requirement to reduce wages even if you target promotion. That was fun when despite after selling 3 i went to sign a free agent, with no agent, pay them about £700p/w a the board decline the transfer!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:56 pm 

Oh I remember something else that hacked me off in terms of realism, Alex Gilbey refused to sign a new contract and left he then failed to sign for another team in the next two seasons - I was the only one to offer him a contract in this time and each time he said no! Maybe he had won the lottery