THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:34 am 

By the time the Ukraine War started (if they had lasted that long) we'd have no military left. Not as though we'd be helping the brave Ukrainians. Corbyn and Labour would very much be comrades and in Putin's pocket. The red flag, a song Labour still uses, would continue to be the order of the day and we'd be the laughing stock of the world. Remember however much you question the Tory Government, scratch under the surface of Labour and you have Corbyn-esk left-wing politics that hate our country, the West, money management and the ability to govern.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:54 am 

All that and it would still have been better than the clusterfuck that was Boris Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:19 am 

The notion that if Corbyn had become PM the UK would have been thrust into a communist regime is farfetched and doesn't sit well beside the reality of intraparty politics and how they function. Yes a Corbyn led government would have had a strong mandate to bring forward a number 'radical' socio-economic policies and push through changes in things like the living wage, NHS funding, taxing billionaires more and nationalised railways. But in no reality would they be able to just do away with the military. The Labour MPs would have rejected such an approach, in a very similar way to how the Conservative MPs rejected Theresa May's Brexit approach.

Anyway as Dippy rightly points out it probably wouldn't be any worse than it has been under the current regime.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:35 am 

Labour continually pressed for longer, harder lockdowns that would have done even greater economic damage and harmed the mental health of the nation even further.

I voted Conservative in 2019, in full knowledge that Boris was useless, for the one and only reason of keeping Labour out of power. Even to this day, I'm glad I did.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:44 am 

The main focus of my original message is what would the Corbyn / Labour Government reaction to the Ukraine War. My thoughts are a passive and reluctant response. Preferring to try and talk (see how far you get with the likes of Lavrov etc), rather than supporting the freedoms of a democracy and their ability to defend themselves. Shameful and embarrassing on the world stage, that would directly affect trade and our economy, as our allies turn their backs on the UK.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:47 am 

Council Kev wrote:
The main focus of my original message is what would the Corbyn / Labour Government reaction to the Ukraine War. My thoughts are a passive and reluctant response. Preferring to try and talk (see how far you get with the likes of Lavrov etc), rather than supporting the freedoms of a democracy and their ability to defend themselves. Shameful and embarrassing on the world stage, that would directly affect trade and our economy, as our allies turn their backs on the UK.

Theoretically that sounds right, but it's impossible to say in hindsight. So much has happened since the last GE to turn the world upside down.

For all we know, Corbyn and Biden would have formed a 'special relationship' in the Thatcher-Reagan mould and co-ordinated a UK-US response. Who knows?

EDIT: are you feeling all right, Kev? You've made a lot of posts recently that haven't had hackneyed knob gags in them. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:07 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Council Kev wrote:

Theoretically that sounds right, but it's impossible to say in hindsight. So much has happened since the last GE to turn the world upside down.

For all we know, Corbyn and Biden would have formed a 'special relationship' in the Thatcher-Reagan mould and co-ordinated a UK-US response. Who knows?

EDIT: are you feeling all right, Kev? You've made a lot of posts recently that haven't had hackneyed knob gags in them. :D

Even the US Democrats are far more right thinking than the right-wing of the Tory party, so doubt they'll be any common ground with a Labour Government. Corbyn and the rest of them would be looking to the east for common ground, which would've had a profound negative affect on the UK, before the war and definitely now.

EDIT, thank you for returning me to the contents of my underpants. No doubt this is a topic you're keen to focus on when chatting with 14 year old boys online like me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:08 am 

Normal service has been resumed. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:21 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Labour continually pressed for longer, harder lockdowns that would have done even greater economic damage and harmed the mental health of the nation even further.

I voted Conservative in 2019, in full knowledge that Boris was useless, for the one and only reason of keeping Labour out of power. Even to this day, I'm glad I did.

Starmer became leader in April 2020 which was at the start of the 1st lockdown so not sure how this point relates they hypothetical scenario of Corbyn being PM.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:30 am 

My willy-cock rejects your bag of sweets and a trip to your house to see your puppies, no matter how cute you say they are.