THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:34 am 

Ormeau wrote:
Starmer became leader in April 2020 which was at the start of the 1st lockdown so not sure how this point relates they hypothetical scenario of Corbyn being PM.

If Corbyn won he would be PM and leader of the Labour party comrade.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:48 am 

Council Kev wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
Starmer became leader in April 2020 which was at the start of the 1st lockdown so not sure how this point relates they hypothetical scenario of Corbyn being PM.

Yes but we can't speculate on what their position on lockdowns would have been by say the summer of 2020 because it never happened?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:10 pm 

Ormeau wrote:
Council Kev wrote:
Ormeau wrote:

Yes but we can't speculate on what their position on lockdowns would have been by say the summer of 2020 because it never happened?

As before, this thread is about Corbyn / Labour Government, their stance over the war in Ukraine, dealings with Russia and what that have meant to the UK.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:33 pm 

I though it was going to be an article of the Tories accusing Corbyn of finding money on trees and then in the Covid period doing the same as he proposed. Ah well, Ukraine.

Corbyn has always taken a principle stance against war and I admire it (he was also right to highlight the Iraq war was based on Blair's lies), but I have my doubts a Labour Government would have taken his view as it was more collective. For example, he was more for Brexit, but supported the remain stance as it was the collective view.

In my opinion NATO has been more expansive than aggressive. US even asked Russia's OK before it invaded Libya. A shame Putin didn't do the same for Ukraine and I support Ukraine's right of self determination and self defence. Saying that I fear that the conflict will carry on in stalemate, with each side continue bombing and laying waste to parts of Ukraine. I would support negotiations between Ukraine and Russia and like Jeremy would want peace over bloodshed, but it's entirely Ukraine's decision.

On a wider level I would support actions that stop us being held hostage to these tyrants and stop their finances. Unfortunately the link between the City of London and money laundering is strong.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:57 pm 

The West did nothing over the annexing of the Crimean and legged it out of Afghanistan with a Taliban boot narrowly trailing behind. No wonder Putin thought he could do what he liked. Surprised he didn't march into other countries. That's what weakness gets you and things would've been far worse under a Corbyn / Labour Government.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:26 pm 

Council Kev wrote:
The West did nothing over the annexing of the Crimean and legged it out of Afghanistan with a Taliban boot narrowly trailing behind. No wonder Putin thought he could do what he liked. Surprised he didn't march into other countries. That's what weakness gets you and things would've been far worse under a Corbyn / Labour Government.

Both the Russians and the US / UK got a bloody nose in Afghanistan, although region powers of Iran and Pakistan had something to do about that. I can't see anyone could have done anything about the Crimea, infamously linked to the charge of the Light Brigade.

Labour would followed Germany or France more than the US. Who knows how it would have ended, like we don't know how it will end now. One thing we do know is that a Tory government didn't stop Putin invading and a Trump win would have given Putin a green light to invade and zero help to Ukraine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:49 pm 

Council Kev wrote:
dealings with Russia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62068421

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:14 pm 

Let's speculate. What will Rishi Sunak / Liz Truss / Penny Mordaunt do when China invades Taiwan? 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:35 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Let's speculate. What will Rishi Sunak / Liz Truss / Penny Mordaunt do when China invades Taiwan? 8-)

Penny Mordaunt has 4 Burmese Cats if that's any help?
As someone who has very little interest in Politics, that's the kind of thing that interests me more than policies. :)

You make an interesting point Bertie. Four Burmese cats is sure to intimidate Xi Jinping. And they produce less shit than Truss.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:18 am 

Gers wrote:
Council Kev wrote:
dealings with Russia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62068421

No doubt Boris has met many, along with most Western leaders who've some very dodgy connections. All linked to money, energy and donations. However outwardly when it comes to response and support the UK, under a Tory Government, have been one of the lions of the West. Corbyn, his inner circle and Labour share much common ground with Russia and if things had turned out differently, the UK Labour Government would've given a passive response. Keep Labour out of power, or the UK hating red devils will rise again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next