THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:51 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
Council Kev wrote:
My knob is spitting feathers here, after reading your posts! See below.

Council Kev wrote:
AND very recently:

"Stop the War Coalition statement on Ukraine crisis
On 18 February 2022, in the week before the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Corbyn alongside 11 Labour MPs cosigned a statement from the Stop the War Coalition opposing any war in Ukraine. The statement said that "the crisis should be settled on a basis which recognises the right of the Ukrainian people to self-determination and addresses Russia’s security concerns", that NATO "should call a halt to its eastward expansion", and that the British government's sending of arms to Ukraine and troops to eastern Europe served "no purpose other than inflaming tensions and indicating disdain for Russian concerns". The statement's authors also said that they "refute the idea that NATO is a defensive alliance".

I agree with 95% of that. The only way I differ is that self determination includes self defence and the right to for Ukraine to arm themselves. As Ukraine have asked NATO countries for arms, I see the only reason to deny them if it directly leada to a NATO and Russian confrontation. I do oppose the sending of troops and do want a negotiated peace, if possible.

Do you oppose us sending arms?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:56 pm 

dons50 wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
Council Kev wrote:
My knob is spitting feathers here, after reading your posts! See below.

Council Kev wrote:
AND very recently:

"Stop the War Coalition statement on Ukraine crisis
On 18 February 2022, in the week before the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Corbyn alongside 11 Labour MPs cosigned a statement from the Stop the War Coalition opposing any war in Ukraine. The statement said that "the crisis should be settled on a basis which recognises the right of the Ukrainian people to self-determination and addresses Russia’s security concerns", that NATO "should call a halt to its eastward expansion", and that the British government's sending of arms to Ukraine and troops to eastern Europe served "no purpose other than inflaming tensions and indicating disdain for Russian concerns". The statement's authors also said that they "refute the idea that NATO is a defensive alliance".

I agree with 95% of that. The only way I differ is that self determination includes self defence and the right to for Ukraine to arm themselves. As Ukraine have asked NATO countries for arms, I see the only reason to deny them if it directly leada to a NATO and Russian confrontation. I do oppose the sending of troops and do want a negotiated peace, if possible.

Do you oppose us sending arms?

It depends on the arms. If it is for self defence and a demcratic Ukraine government asks for them, no. I don't support Ukraine becoming a NATO member either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:33 am 

I do support a full range of weapons being sent to Ukraine, and would also support them as a member of NATO, though cannot see the latter happening for many years, if at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:16 pm 

Council Kev wrote:
I do support a full range of weapons being sent to Ukraine, and would also support them as a member of NATO, though cannot see the latter happening for many years, if at all.

Would you give Ukaine weapons which could hit Moscow?