THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Technology in sport
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:09 pm 

Technology is used in many cases these days to monitor various situations in sports. For example checking LBW in cricket, goal line decisions in football, speed of serves and line calls in tennis.

We assume that they are accurate every time, BUT are they ?

Yesterday at Wimbledon during a doubles match a ball was called out and challenged. Hawkeye showed the ball as being in. Yet subsequent TV replays proved the original out call was clearly correct.

So can technology be trusted to the extent that it is these days ?

Post subject: Re: Technology in sport
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:38 pm 

It’s more reliable than humans.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:25 pm 

Whilst technology can be fallible it will always fail the same way (it fails due to a programming or sensor error et al) regardless of the time of the match, teams involved etc. the same can't be said of human errors which are much more likely to be caused by outside factors and therefore more erratic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:35 pm 

The point about Hawkeye is a good one, because the margins between in and out can be so miniscule. In DRS in cricket, you at least have the third option of Umpire's Call, where if it's a particularly marginal decision the decision of the umpire stands.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:39 pm 

I wouldn't want any more technology in football if I am honest. It sanitises the game too much. Love it or hate it, controversial decisions are part and parcel of the game. It works better in cricket, where there game isn't as fast paced as football. Goal line technology is instant and I can get behind that. VAR is just a cluster fuck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:32 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
No system is going to be correct 100% of the time.

Exactly. So if less than 100% is acceptable from technology, why is it not acceptable from humans ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:02 pm 

donmentor wrote:

Exactly. So if less than 100% is acceptable from technology, why is it not acceptable from humans ?

I addressed that in the rest of my post that you haven't quoted.
Technology is much closer to 100% than onfield officials.

On what are you basing that fact ? I suggest that, after yesterday's incident, it is now debatable. Unless there is positive, unbiased evidence to the contrary. Has it actually ever been tested ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:14 pm 

I'm not enjoying having a debate where my replies keep getting cut to just one random line.
You're clearly 100% against it. And going off you're previous posts on other topics, it's really no surprise that you're against a modern development like this.
I generally see both sides of most issues. And do with this. I'm not 100% an advocate of it. But I'm not 100% against it. I can fully accept concerns about slowing down the game, etc. But trying to claim it isn't even as accurate as onfield officials with just one view at full pace is a huge stretch. It is more accurate. More accurate decisions are made in sports by using it. The big debate is really how close to 100% can it get, and whether the slowing down of the sport is a price worth paying, etc...

Absolutely all of this.

I suppose there's also the wider argument in terms of the balance between sporting fairness/integrity and entertainment, especially given the increasingly media and money-driven world that professional sport exists in.

I think it was Barry Hearn that once said "sport is soap opera for men". Yes, you could get a tech system that gets decisions 100%, or very nearly 100%, right - but does it take away from the drama and controversy that sells newspapers, boosts TV ratings and improves returns on marketing investment?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:22 pm 

donmentor wrote:
donmentor wrote:

I addressed that in the rest of my post that you haven't quoted.
Technology is much closer to 100% than onfield officials.

On what are you basing that fact ? I suggest that, after yesterday's incident, it is now debatable. Unless there is positive, unbiased evidence to the contrary. Has it actually ever been tested ?

I'm not enjoying having a debate where my arguments keep getting cut to just one random line.
You're clearly 100% against it. And going off your previous posts on other topics, it's really no surprise that you're against a modern development like this.
I generally see both sides of most issues. And do so with this. I'm not 100% an advocate of it. But I'm not 100% against it. I can fully accept concerns about slowing down the game, etc. But trying to claim it isn't even as accurate as onfield officials with just one view at full pace is a huge stretch. It is more accurate. More accurate decisions are made in sports by using it. The big debate is really how close to 100% can it get, and whether the slowing down of the sport is a price worth paying, etc...

I am not against technology at all. I am just trying to put it into perspective and have a discussion as to should we just take technology for granted. Is it really better, or even as good as human judges ?
What evidence is there to guide our opinion ?

PS. Sorry for cutting your post, just saving space.

Last edited by donmentor on Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:24 pm 

Yeah, I think you've hit the nail on the head with that quote.
All the 'all we want is the right decision' you heard from the media, managers, and fans pre-VAR was complete BS. People - especially media and fans - love all the debates about decisions, stirring up controversy, etc. The very last thing they really wanted was the right decisions being made by a process that took away all the soap opera element.

Exactly. That's why the only time you see VAR in the news is, paradoxically, when people are moaning about it. :lol: