THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Honesty and Government
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:27 am 

A lot of political questions surround Boris Johnson and his position and I just wondered generally what peoples thoughts were, obviously it is hard to sum up a complex subject but I wonder if people could pick which of these statements most reflect their thoughts....

A) If a Prime Minister has broken the rules/law/lied to Parliament/lied to the electorate then I believe they should resign as they are unfit to hold the position.

or

B) It matters more to me how well a Prime Minister is doing the job of running the country than whether a Prime Minister has broken the rules/law/lied to Parliament/lied to the electorate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:46 am 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
Time for another poll?

This earlier one may also help shed some light on how trustworthy we think politicians are: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6512

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:24 am 

To even consider B makes me feel ill. The highest office in our nation shouldn't be let off of breaking the laws that he himself made just because some people might consider him as doing right by the country.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:33 am 

For me;

A) If a Prime Minister has broken the rules/law/lied to Parliament/lied to the electorate then I believe they should resign as they are unfit to hold the position.

This - it is fundamental to our democracy. Regardless of political opinion or persuasion integrity should be held up as a central pillar for the leader of the UK.

As for

B) It matters more to me how well a Prime Minister is doing the job of running the country than whether a Prime Minister has broken the rules/law/lied to Parliament/lied to the electorate.

Even if I did think this, Boris and this Government have done and will continue to do an awful job. The ramifications of their draconian reforms, ongoing austerity, awful foreign affairs and trade policy and quite frankly botched Brexit will haunt the UK for years to come. Boris is a man with no moral fibre, but worse still little work ethic and a superiority complex. FFS it is well document he doesn't even read his briefings. If I performed like he does in my role I would be sacked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:27 pm 

Quote:

As all politicians lie, who would be PM?

Surely the nature of the lie/law breaking is important. Should driving at 31 mph disbar you? Surely not. Would a minor offence (potentially) that is no longer an offence disbar you? Surely not.

There are multiple reasons why Boris shouldn't be PM but if the best you can do is talk about illegal cake then you've lost me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:52 pm 

Don Direction wrote:
There are multiple reasons why Boris shouldn't be PM but if the best you can do is talk about illegal cake then you've lost me.

No one I stalking about illegal cake in this thread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:10 pm 

Most success his down to the circumstances while most lies are down to the individual. Cakegate may get him in the end. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:21 pm 

There is no pint in shooting the man at the top, because the media will immediately set about destroying whoever takes over. Always have done and always will.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:48 pm 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Don Direction wrote:

No one I stalking about illegal cake in this thread

I was
I am a person
Therefore, someone was talking about illegal cake.

The line you've quoted was not my main point though. All politicians lie, always have done, there was no golden age when they didn't.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:14 pm 

The most infuriating thing about MPs, aside from their lying, cheating, snouts in the trough and sod you attitude, is the refusal to answer any questions directly.

As Boris said “It’s total Rhubarb” (Now there’s an old Etonian saying)

I can’t remember the last time we’ve had such a mess of a government, probably Labour in the late 70s.