THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:47 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Gers wrote:
Dead Men's Trousers by Irvine Welsh.

I really didn't like this, and have come to the conclusion that I actually don't like him. Both as an author and a person.

That title reminds me of when I used to go on holidays to Rannoch as a youngster.
The people who ran the farm we stayed near used to talk about "the ghosts of their fathers trousers", and told weird stories of his pants haunting the farmhouse and barn.
But I'm guessing that's not the plot of the book. :)

Well you'd be wrong...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:16 pm 

Last book I read was A Dance of Dragons by George RR Martin, and vowed to not read a novel until the next one comes out.

We'll be in the Premier League sooner than that will happen.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:20 pm 

The boy on the shed - by Paul Ferris.

Easily the best book written by a sportsman I’ve ever read.

Grew up in Northern Ireland during the troubles. Joined Newcastle and suffer severe homesickness. Played in the first team at 17. Had a severe injury, lost his job and home. Did a degree in physiotherapy and became Newcastle physio. Fell out with Guillet and became disillusioned with the football world so did a degree in law and became a barrister. Left the law to join Shearer when he became Newcastle manager and tried to save them from relegation. Lost his job at the end of the season. Had a heart attack.

Really good book.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:05 am 

Gers wrote:
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Gers wrote:
Dead Men's Trousers by Irvine Welsh.

I really didn't like this, and have come to the conclusion that I actually don't like him. Both as an author and a person.

That title reminds me of when I used to go on holidays to Rannoch as a youngster.
The people who ran the farm we stayed near used to talk about "the ghosts of their fathers trousers", and told weird stories of his pants haunting the farmhouse and barn.
But I'm guessing that's not the plot of the book. :)

Well you'd be wrong...

Remember Die Toten Hosen the German punk band? Dead trousers. I seem to recall it's a German slang phrase similar to Brewer's Droop...

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:10 am 

Oldfarmdons wrote:
The Lonely Londoners - by Sam Selvon

Bitter sweet sketch of a loosely connected group of young caribbiean men settling in 1950's London. Atmospheric, wistful stuff

Google dedicated one of it's recent Doodles to Sam Selvon...

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:39 am 

Paul Gorman, The Story Of The Face, The Magazine That Changed Culture.

Weighing in at a hefty 40 odd quid, and probably not far off 40 odd pounds, it's the story of hipster bible The Face. From it's humble beginnings in a cramped office in Soho, to it's global domination of 80's fashion trends. To it's ultimate demise as editor and owner Nick Logan overreached himself with Arena and it's younger siblings in the face of Loaded etc'.
Obviously the Jason Donavon tail is the highlight, no pun intended, but I was surprised that that debacle didn't kill it off.
I was an avid reader from the very first edition, right through to almost the end, and I wish I still had the first edition now. As it currently changes hands for stupid money.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:22 pm 

Gers wrote:
Paul Gorman, The Story Of The Face, The Magazine That Changed Culture.

Weighing in at a hefty 40 odd quid, and probably not far off 40 odd pounds, it's the story of hipster bible The Face. From it's humble beginnings in a cramped office in Soho, to it's global domination of 80's fashion trends. To it's ultimate demise as editor and owner Nick Logan overreached himself with Arena and it's younger siblings in the face of Loaded etc'.
Obviously the Jason Donavon tail is the highlight, no pun intended, but I was surprised that that debacle didn't kill it off.
I was an avid reader from the very first edition, right through to almost the end, and I wish I still had the first edition now. As it currently changes hands for stupid money.

I bought it from the second issue, but quickly gave up after about issue 10. I wore some stupid clothes back then.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:01 pm 

Few books on holiday:

"The Secret Footballer: What goes on Tour" - Dave Kitson
Bit shit. Makes it obvious that TSF is Dave Kitson, and that Dave Kitson is, in fact, a bit of a nobber. 3/10

"F*** you very much" - Danny Wallace
A study into rudeness and how it affects people. The actual content isn't great, but I do live his style of writing, so found it enjoyable enough. 6/10

"Red Storm Rising" - Tom Clancy
My first foray into Tom Clancy books. Won't be my last. Love the whole geopolitical landscape and all the different individual's stories going on an interlinking with each other (reminds me of Game of Thrones to an extent - I wonder how this would fair as a TV show?). 8/10

"Playing for Keeps" - Mur Lafferty
Good idea for a story. Not very refined, a bit over complicated, but still had fun reading it. 6/10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:22 pm 

Life. Keith Richards.
Interesting. Although we need Mick's take on things for a properly balanced view and we know that, for now at least, that ain't gonna be forthcoming.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:13 am 

'Beekeeping at Buckfast Abbey' by Brother Adam.

Fascinating account of the philosophy, the science and the practice of his long life's work. He was a monk at Buckfast till he died at the age of 98 and was one of the world's greatest authorities on the honeybee, gaining a DSc and an OBE.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next