THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:51 pm 

Been rereading Rankin's Rebus novels.
Fantastic plotting.
Bought a signed copy of one of them off ebay.
(Gotta visit The Ox one day ;) ;) )

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 pm 

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning by Alan Sillitoe

Another re-read after about 25 years, the wonderful tale of hard drinking, womanising, factory life in post war Nottingham. Think Shameless in black and white

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Right Ho Jeeves, by the inimitable PG Wodehouse. By the sounds of it, the complete opposite of Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings (though I did like the Counting Crows album of that name). No matter how many times I read Wodehouse it's a laugh out loud treat.

A work of genius.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:42 am 
Chris Brookmyre - Dead Girl Walking. He’s my favourite crime writer - easy to read, very well written, characters that jump off the page and great storylines. Loved this one.

John Read - Ten days that shook the world. One that’s been on my list for 30 years or so - a fascinating first-hand account of the November 1917 Russian revolution, it manages to show the confusion, the chaos, the passion and the reality of a revolution as it happened. It’s a copy that predates the fall of the wall so the introduction (the original intro by AJP Taylor that wasn’t published for 50 years) is very odd to read. If you like history, then read it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:51 pm 

Brando wrote:
Chris Brookmyre - Dead Girl Walking. He’s my favourite crime writer - easy to read, very well written, characters that jump off the page and great storylines. Loved this one.

John Read - Ten days that shook the world. One that’s been on my list for 30 years or so - a fascinating first-hand account of the November 1917 Russian revolution, it manages to show the confusion, the chaos, the passion and the reality of a revolution as it happened. It’s a copy that predates the fall of the wall so the introduction (the original intro by AJP Taylor that wasn’t published for 50 years) is very odd to read. If you like history, then read it.

Is that the character Warren Beatty (sp?) played in "Reds"?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:56 pm 
It is, but I’ve never seen it. Any good?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:08 am 

Spies by Michael Frayn - story of misunderstanding and misinterpretation of a complex adult situation seen through child like eyes during the Blitz years of the war. Slow start but a delicate and enjoyable read - whilst initially I picked this up to help Littlest OFD with GCSE homework I would recommend to anyone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:20 pm 

Brando wrote:
It is, but I’ve never seen it. Any good?

Not really, from the little I remember at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:10 pm 

The Lonely Londoners - by Sam Selvon

Bitter sweet sketch of a loosely connected group of young caribbiean men settling in 1950's London. Atmospheric, wistful stuff

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:12 pm 

Dead Men's Trousers by Irvine Welsh.

I really didn't like this, and have come to the conclusion that I actually don't like him. Both as an author and a person.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next