THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:49 pm 

What ?

(another from the TCR set)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:28 pm 

Go on then - a couple over the summer months:

Absolute Beginners by Colin MacInnes - fabulous coming of age story set against the West London race riots of 1958. Beautifully caricatured Jazz/proto Mod kids emerging from the shadows of the De-Mob generation. A joyous re-read for me after 25 years this is gritty, funny, and tragic at the same time

Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut- If you will, this is a dystopian tale of cold war meets science fiction, farce meets Armageddon. Impossible to say much more without spoiling, this is easy, hilarious and imaginative. If you have read Slaughterhouse 5 and wonder where to go next with Vonnegut, this is the next step

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:18 pm 

The Doors - Unhinged.
John Densmore goes to court to stop Manzarek and Krieger using the name of the band.
A lot of nice observations on life, money, and greed. (Don't get me wrong its not all about sixties stuff/dudes/man/peace/love blah blah at all)
Is he the true custodian of The Doors legacy? Or an annoying irritant with a bee in his bonnet?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:52 pm 
This is going to hurt - Adam Kay

A hilarious and harrowing insight into the life of a doctor in today’s nhs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:22 pm 

Beyond a Boundary - CLR James

A great book by Trinidadian marxist historian and cricket journalist CLR James. It's reputation is very high and deservedly so. John Arlott wrote in Wisden: "1963 has been marked by the publication of a cricket book so outstanding as to compel any reviewer to check his adjectives several times before he describes it and, since he is likely to be dealing in superlatives, to measure them carefully to avoid over-praise – which this book does not need … in the opinion of the reviewer, it is the finest book written about the game of cricket."

But it's much, much more than a book about cricket theory and history. It's about how the game is lived, how it is shaped by social development and vice vera. It also is threaded with English literature (Hazlitt, Thackery etc.), Black national contiousness, a discussion on what is art and why cricket qualifies as a true art, memoir, and more.

A truly great read.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:31 pm 

keyser soze wrote:

A great book by Trinidadian marxist historian and cricket journalist CLR James. It's reputation is very high and deservedly so. John Arlott wrote in Wisden: "1963 has been marked by the publication of a cricket book so outstanding as to compel any reviewer to check his adjectives several times before he describes it and, since he is likely to be dealing in superlatives, to measure them carefully to avoid over-praise – which this book does not need … in the opinion of the reviewer, it is the finest book written about the game of cricket."

But it's much, much more than a book about cricket theory and history. It's about how the game is lived, how it is shaped by social development and vice vera. It also is threaded with English literature (Hazlitt, Thackery etc.), Black national contiousness, a discussion on what is art and why cricket qualifies as a true art, memoir, and more.

A truly great read.

One of the best books I've ever read.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:52 pm 

dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

A truly great read.

I'm not surprised that you rate it. I'm only surprised that it's taken me this long to get round to reading it.

Other posters - do yourself a favour. Read it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:50 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

A truly great read.

I'm not surprised that you rate it. I'm only surprised that it's taken me this long to get round to reading it.

It is a great read. Could do a lot worse than take three months off work, fly off to a sparsely populated island and sit under a palm tree drinking something alcoholic and refreshing whilst devouring this list:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2016/0 ... r-written/ 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:36 pm 

familymkdonsfan wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

A truly great read.

It is a great read. Could do a lot worse than take three months off work, fly off to a sparsely populated island and sit under a palm tree drinking something alcoholic and refreshing whilst devouring this list:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2016/0 ... r-written/ 8-)

A few great reads in that lot! And one or two I think I'll skip :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:49 pm 

One Shot - Lee Child
Jack Reacher Thriller

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next