THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:47 pm 

Gers wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Gers wrote:
Cold Hands by John J. Niven

This was Niv’s attempt to be taken more seriously as an author. The J. being a dead giveaway. He was always slightly pretentious old Niv, but this is actually a rather good crime thriller.

Basic plot. Donnie, an expat Scot living in snowy Saskatchewan, aspires to a screenwriting career, but finds himself writing reviews of DVD’s for his local paper, a paper owned by his wealthy father-in-law, and edited by his wife. He lives an idyllic life, before some horrific incident from his Ayrshire past catches up with him.

It’s a tough read this, with some of the scenes truly horrific, not least the ‘incident’ from his past. He’s very good at invoking the town we both grew up in, Irvine on the west coast of Scotland. Reading him, I can almost picture the assorted characters that we grew up around. I know the person that the bully in this is obviously based on. I avoided the Delta Bar, the roughest pub in town. I know that he went to Ravenspark Academy, and that it features in most of his work. There’s even a fantastic callback to our, sadly, late friend Keith at one point.

Like I say, it’s a good read. Not my, or indeed his, usual genre, but not too shabby. I’m happy to say that the three of his that I’ve still got to read are back to his trademark black humor. Because after this I seriously need some light refreshment.

Have you read The Amateurs by John Niven? That would give you some light refreshment. It’s very funny.

I'd prefer The Moon's a Balloon by David Niven. Quality.

I read that in the summer of 1976. I spent six months in hospital. I'm guessing the Presbyterian minister that ran the library trolley hadn't read it himself, being that I was 13/14 at the time.

Summer '76? Heatwave. Devon. VW Beetle. Ladybird invasion. The Book of Invasions by Horslips. That's all I can remember.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:09 pm 

Gers wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Gers wrote:

This was Niv’s attempt to be taken more seriously as an author. The J. being a dead giveaway. He was always slightly pretentious old Niv, but this is actually a rather good crime thriller.

Basic plot. Donnie, an expat Scot living in snowy Saskatchewan, aspires to a screenwriting career, but finds himself writing reviews of DVD’s for his local paper, a paper owned by his wealthy father-in-law, and edited by his wife. He lives an idyllic life, before some horrific incident from his Ayrshire past catches up with him.

It’s a tough read this, with some of the scenes truly horrific, not least the ‘incident’ from his past. He’s very good at invoking the town we both grew up in, Irvine on the west coast of Scotland. Reading him, I can almost picture the assorted characters that we grew up around. I know the person that the bully in this is obviously based on. I avoided the Delta Bar, the roughest pub in town. I know that he went to Ravenspark Academy, and that it features in most of his work. There’s even a fantastic callback to our, sadly, late friend Keith at one point.

Like I say, it’s a good read. Not my, or indeed his, usual genre, but not too shabby. I’m happy to say that the three of his that I’ve still got to read are back to his trademark black humor. Because after this I seriously need some light refreshment.

Have you read The Amateurs by John Niven? That would give you some light refreshment. It’s very funny.

I read that in the summer of 1976. I spent six months in hospital. I'm guessing the Presbyterian minister that ran the library trolley hadn't read it himself, being that I was 13/14 at the time.

I vaguely remember he said he'd lost his cherry on a ...snooker table?...was it?....at age 15? Can't remember anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:21 am 

Aliramone wrote:
Gers wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Gers wrote:

I vaguely remember he said he'd lost his cherry on a ...snooker table?...was it?....at age 15? Can't remember anything else.

I guess he potted the pink.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:38 am 

dons50 wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
Gers wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Gers wrote:

No, he went for the difficult brown.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:59 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
Gers wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Gers wrote:

Track by AC/DC?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:20 pm 

The Fuck It List by John Niven

When our mutual friend Keith died, Andrew O'Hagan wrote the beautifully elegiac Mayflies, Niv wrote this.

I heard him on a podcast talking about this when it came out. The premise being what would you do if you found out that you only had months to live? Swim with dolphins, a grand tour, spend the remaining time with your loved ones? Most people, that'd do it. Fortunately Niv isn't most people. Inspired by another mutual friend, Allan 'Tiny' Carruthers, this is the story of someone who decides to extract revenge on those who've wronged him.

Frank Brill, a small town newspaper editor, gets the news that you don't want. He has terminal cancer, with months to live. Set in America in 2026, where Trump has served two terms as President, while Ivanka is the current incumbent of the White House, Frank decides to settle some scores before he shuffles off this mortal coil. Rather than draw up a bucket list, he draws up a fuck it list, and sets about righting some personal wrongs.

It's not Niv's best work, but it's an entertaining enough romp, filled with his usual outrageous storytelling style.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:21 pm 

Kill ‘Em All by John Niven

Niv’ has a recurring character, Steven Stelfox. A cross between himself, and Simon Cowell. This is Stelfox’s third outing.

Stelfox is a music industry guy, just like Niv’. In this he’s tasked with handling a somewhat delicate situation concerning an extremely thinly veiled version of Michael Jackson in the shape of Lucius Du Pre, who is the subject of a blackmail plot.

As usual, it romps along at a fair old pace, and is laugh out loud funny in parts. He really has a killer turn of phrase. There is one passage in this that quite literally had me laughing out loud so much that I read it over and over. It was that funny.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:44 pm 

The Midwich Cuckoos.
Having watched with a Junior Ramone the recent remake - which was pretty good - I've read the book after gawd knows how many years. V good.
Gonna read 'Day of the triffids' next....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:09 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
The Midwich Cuckoos.
Having watched with a Junior Ramone the recent remake - which was pretty good - I've read the book after gawd knows how many years. V good.

Fully agreed - I read The Midwich Cuckoos this time last year and found it a fantastic tale with some really challenging moral questions, some of which are quite uncomfortable in a contemporary context. If that's the Keeley Hawes adaptation on Sky from last year then I thought that was very good as well, quite low key, avoiding the sensational but with some well crafted screenplay changes

Agreed on Triffids, a wonderful catastrophe novel that just reeks of same Cold War angst of the times - I'm sure you will love it. Having read these I followed up with The Kraken Wakes last summer which I found a little tame by comparison, fantastic story craft but not quite the same impact, possible because of the high bar set by the Triffids

I've got the Chrysalids earmarked on the wish list for later this year, more happy stuff!

:D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:17 pm 

Oldfarmdons wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
The Midwich Cuckoos.

Fully agreed - I read The Midwich Cuckoos this time last year and found it a fantastic tale with some really challenging moral questions, some of which are quite uncomfortable in a contemporary context. If that's the Keeley Hawes adaptation on Sky from last year then I thought that was very good as well, quite low key, avoiding the sensational but with some well crafted screenplay changes

Agreed on Triffids, a wonderful catastrophe novel that just reeks of same Cold War angst of the times - I'm sure you will love it. Having read these I followed up with The Kraken Wakes last summer which I found a little tame by comparison, fantastic story craft but not quite the same impact, possible because of the high bar set by the Triffids

I've got the Chrysalids earmarked on the wish list for later this year, more happy stuff!

:D

Yes it was the Keely Hawes version. (There was a US version some time before but it was, I believe, panned).

Read 'Triffids' well over 40 years ago and have just ordered the DVD of the 1981 version that I recall a bit (that was the hight of my uni daze ;) ) The lights at the beginning. I didn't think it was a 'solar flare' I thought it was military technology in space (designed to blind on the battlefield) that had malfunctioned.

I can't recall The Chrysalids so I'll by/read that. :D

Agree with you on 'Kraken'.

You might like 'Trouble with Lichen' (if you've not read it) which, again, I distantly recall as a damn good read.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next