THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:25 am 

Aliramone wrote:
Leighton wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
Leighton wrote:
Gers wrote:
The Running Grave by Robert Galbraith

Yet another epic tome by JK Rowling writing as Robert Galbraith in the Strike series. These really are page turners. She has a real knack of wanting you to continue reading right up until the early hours of the morning just to find out what’s going to happen next. I quite literally stayed up after midnight last night just to finish this. It was that good, and at 945 pages it’s extremely good value.

I’m assuming that everyone knows the premise of these. Private detective, and will they won’t they, duo Cormoran Strike and partner Robin Ellacott once again find themselves taking on a densely plotted investigation. This time they are tasked with extracting someone in thrall to a religious cult. As I said above, you can’t put this down, but if I’m being picky, the sub plot regarding the stalking of a female actor proved to be a distraction that really wasn’t required. But as I say, I’m being picky. It’s an extremely good read indeed and I can’t recommend it highly enough.

There was real tension here. Ellacott goes undercover in the Universal Humanitarian Church posing as a wealthy young woman at a loose end. It soon becomes apparent that for all their talk of freedom and spiritual awareness, the UHC are anything but. Other wealthy members are being systematically fleeced whilst being forced to labor on the church's farm. Lead by charismatic leader Papa J, who it turns out both rapes, and encourages other male members, to sexually assault one another, while living in the lap of luxury as members toil in the mud. The investigation quickly expands as it becomes apparent that there’s more to the church than fraud and sexual misdemeanors.

This is only the third or fourth detective novel I’ve ever read in all of my 61 years on this planet, and I can’t help but feel I’ve somewhat missed out by continually reading autobiographies from someone who used to be in The Fall. My loss.

Detective novels?

Get yourself on the Rebus novels....fantastic series of books

Indeed. Def my favourite detective novels. Ever.
Superbly plotted.
Aspects of Rebus' character I can relate to as well.

It's due a good TV reboot too

Each book would suit a miniseries of say 4 programmes I'd say

That bloke Ken something might be too old now though (or too dead?)

I'm not entirely convinced by the Malcolm Fix spin offs though are you?

I really liked Ken Stott. Perfect characterisation. In the latest books Rebus is, of course, retired and older but still his 'usual self' (well slightly less drinking and given up smoking so he could do those - agree not earlier stuff. The TV series lasting 1.15mins or whatever didn't do justice to the books.

I didn't like the Malcolm Fox books at first but grew into them. Have they been made into a TV series then?

Don't think they've done a TV one of Malcolm From yet

Yes the 1.15 hours is with adverts on itv too.....think Ken himself suggested he would love to do one much longer I've sat 3 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:59 am 

Afternoons With The Blinds Drawn by Brett Anderson

I was immensely disappointed with this. After the truly wonderful first volume, this follow up just didn't reach the stellar heights I was expecting.

As I've already posted in this thread, his previous memoir detailed his childhood and the formation of Suede. This second volume took us to Britpop, them losing a member in Bernard Butler, replacing him with a 17yr old from Dorset, and subsequent global stardom.

It was interesting enough if, like me, you're obsessed with the minutiae of the music industry, but he could've gone into the massinations of exactly what it's like being in a band. He's been friends with bass player Mat Osman since they were at school together. They're in their mid-fifties these days. Think back to someone you went to school with, and imagine you were still working with them. I want to know what that's like. Being in a relationship with someone for that long.

Likewise his addictions. We get the ‘I took a load of drugs and it was shit, but through sheer self-will I pulled through’. There's a little bit of just how shit it is being a heroin addict. But we skate past that in pretty short order. Getting back to Butler, I was really hoping that he'd at least tear him to bits after the appalling way he left the band, leaving them in a massive pile of shit just before the release of their second album, but no. Excuses were made all ‘round. If it were me I'd have torn him to pieces. In fact you know if he disapproves if someone because he won't mention them by name. He, understandably, reserves special ire for Blur. Talking about the bloated nonsense that Britpop eventually became, he describes the Essex Parklife hitmakers as a parody of a Carry On film. Whereas he views his own band more in the lineage of Mike Leigh.

If he ever gets around to a third volume detailing Suede’s reformation I'll most probably give it a miss.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:12 am 

The Sunshine Cruise Company by John Niven

Right up to date now with old Niv’s cannon, and as usual this one was pretty good.

He’s somewhat dialed down on the gross out nonsense that’s made his name, albeit it opened with someone having a heart attack after having a two foot dildo inserted up his arse, and written his version of a buddy movie. In fact I know that it’s been in development hell for years in various studios struggling to bring a version to the screen.

Lifelong friends Susan and Julie find themselves at the age of sixty living very different lives indeed. Susan luxuriates in middle class domesticity, shopping, am-dram, golf, while Julie works in a care home, mopping up piss, living in a one bedroom council flat, and is virtually penniless. When Susan's husband, who’s been living a double life as a sex addict, expires after the aforementioned dildo incident, Susan finds herself both homeless and even more penniless than Julie. When the bank take her home she decides the best course of action is to rob the bank, which she does with the help of Julie and a friend who’s grandson needs a lifesaving operation which her family can’t afford, and wheelchair bound resident of the care home.

As usual it trots along at a fair old pace, with everyone winning in the end. He’s a funny writer Niv’, not funny as in weird , funny as in laugh out loud while you’re sitting in your van at lunchtime. I’ll miss reading him, but I’m already halfway through someone’s autobiography from someone who used to be in The Fall, so I guess I’ll recover.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:39 am 

You Can Drum But You Can’t Hide by Simon Wolstencroft

Funky Si was the original drummer in The Smiths, before leaving after their initial recording sessions because he didn’t trust Morrissey. Along with childhood friends Ian Brown and John Squire he was also the original drummer in The Stone Roses, before jumping ship to spend an amazing ten years in The Fall. He’s their longest serving drummer, and indeed also one of the longest serving members.

Somewhat of a Zelig figure in the Manchester music scene. His is a tail of what could’ve been. Noel Gallagher asks him to join his band. Wolstencroft doesn't take him seriously. Not long after Oasis sack their original drummer. As he says, yet another opportunity for global stardom missed.

After he inevitably leaves The Fall (who didn’t!) he ends up as a taxi driver before joining old mate Ian Brown’s solo band and touring the world.A lifelong dabbler in heroin, which Brown is violently against, he eventually loses his gig, and it’s back to the taxis, before they reconcile when The Roses play Wembley, and Brown swings it for Si’s band to open the gig.

He’s almost the same age as me. I used to be a drummer in various bands, and I Love The Fall. I really enjoyed this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:43 pm 

As a bit of trivia....Topper Headon worked as a taxi driver too for a while after getting sacked from The Clash.
Imagine a junkie driving you around in the days long long before Satnav.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14