THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:16 pm 

I was sent this by a friend.
Not a book but whatever..........
Is this for real (man)? Very puerile and not at all amusing.

https://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/219/The- ... -Laughing-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:02 pm 

Art Sex Music, Cosey Fanni Tutti

A remarkable autobiography from Cosey out of Throbbing Gristle. From her troubled upbringing in Hull, to meeting Genesis P-Orridge (who comes across as a complete Ladybit from start to finish) to her sex magazine work, forming Throbbing Gristle, and finally some sort of peace in the Norfolk countryside, where she spends her time growing vegetables.

It's a good read. Especially if, like me, you like noisy, shit, arty farty music.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:35 pm 

Sonic Youth Slept On My Floor by Dave Haslam

A memoir by Haçienda DJ and writer Haslam. It's not very well written ironically enough. Didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:19 pm 

To Throw Away Unopened, by Viv Albertine

Ex-Slits guitarist's second memoir. As with her debut, it's an astonishingly honest piece of writing. Focusing on her relationship with her mother and sister. No spoilers, but it doesn't end well. The highlight being when she kicks the shit out of her amazingly annoying sister over her dying mother in hospital.
It's the best book I've read for years, since her last actually, and is highly recommended indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:34 am 

Siren Song, by Seymour Stein

Meat and potatoes music biz autobiography from the man who ran Sire, and signed Ramones, Talking Heads, Madonna etc'.
Surprisingly enough for someone with his pedigree, it was a tad perfunctory. I don't care who ran such and such a department in such and such a record company. I'd rather learn what the mid 70's New York scene was like. But he does come across as a rather humble man, considering his impact on modern culture.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:19 pm 

Gers wrote:

Ex-Slits guitarist's second memoir. As with her debut, it's an astonishingly honest piece of writing. Focusing on her relationship with her mother and sister. No spoilers, but it doesn't end well. The highlight being when she kicks the shit out of her amazingly annoying sister over her dying mother in hospital.
It's the best book I've read for years, since her last actually, and is highly recommended indeed.

I've heard similar and will be lookin' to read it soon.
Dis she have 'something going' with Strummer at some point? Or was that Palmolive?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:18 am 

Aliramone wrote:
Gers wrote:

Dis she have 'something going' with Strummer at some point? Or was that Palmolive?

Palmolive.
Highly recommend both books. She holds absolutely nothing back.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:45 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Gers wrote:

I’ve just bought Clothes, Music, Boys.

I guess that’s her first memoir.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:53 pm 

The Big Midweek, Life Inside The Fall by Steve Hanley

The Fall's longest serving member, bar you know who, with quite literally the greatest music autobiography ever written.
Ever fancy being in a band? Read this first.
It's this line that's the killer... "In seventeen years I've gone from being in awe of him to buying him a rattle". MES certainly doesn't come out of this very well. Its almost as if he went deliberately out of his way to sabotage the band at every turn. And yet Hanley still considers him a genius, as do almost everyone who's been a member.
A cautionary tale if ever there was one. The music's still fucking amazing though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:59 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Gers wrote:

Mick Jones

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next