THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stony Stratford Storm
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:45 pm 

This morning around 10, Stony was hit by a massive storm. Must've only lasted about 5mins, but it caused devestation from one end of Stony to the other.

Countless trees blown over, and I do mean countless. Walls blown over. Windows smashed. And some roofing damage.

We lost some slates from our own roof, a fence gone, and 7 panes of glass gone from our greenhouse.

There's anecdotal evidence, from idiots on the internet I'll admit, that it was that strangest of meteorological phenomena, a mini tornado. We certainly didn't see that, but I genuinely haven't seen weather like it.

Wolverton Road was blocked as you leave Stony by a fallen tree, and as I've already said, countless other trees are down, and I've never seen brick walls being blown down before.

We've just come back from Newton Longville, and didn't see any sign of damage. Did anyone anywhere else in the city see it, or we're we just extremely unlucky?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:07 pm 

We copped it in Wellingborough, roof tiles off, thankfully they missed the conservatory, but still damage that will need repairing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:58 pm 

I’ve heard of trees down and property damage in Towcester and Buckingham, think this storm whatever it was, caused mayhem in a very short time. My back garden resembled a war zone, garden tables, chairs, benches blown around like toys, bushes and plants levelled to the ground.

Bins out the front were all across road, with masses of rubbish flying everywhere

Strange event to witness :o

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:29 pm 

Gers wrote:
This morning around 10, Stony was hit by a massive storm. Must've only lasted about 5mins, but it caused devestation from one end of Stony to the other.

Countless trees blown over, and I do mean countless. Walls blown over. Windows smashed. And some roofing damage.

We lost some slates from our own roof, a fence gone, and 7 panes of glass gone from our greenhouse.

There's anecdotal evidence, from idiots on the internet I'll admit, that it was that strangest of meteorological phenomena, a mini tornado. We certainly didn't see that, but I genuinely haven't seen weather like it.

Wolverton Road was blocked as you leave Stony by a fallen tree, and as I've already said, countless other trees are down, and I've never seen brick walls being blown down before.

We've just come back from Newton Longville, and didn't see any sign of damage. Did anyone anywhere else in the city see it, or we're we just extremely unlucky?

Nothing as bad as that near me (close to City Centre).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:17 pm 

No - we had quite a squall at around midday in the south east corner - serious rain and high wind for five or ten minutes but nothing like what you describe in Sony and Wellingborough

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:44 pm 

Gers wrote:

Bloody hell. I was woken up from my post-Crewe hangover by the wind rocking HMS Bawbag around, but it wasn't anything on that scale.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:19 pm 

Oldfarmdons wrote:
No - we had quite a squall at around midday in the south east corner - serious rain and high wind for five or ten minutes but nothing like what you describe in Sony and Wellingborough

Very odd. I was playing tennis outdoors at Woughton at midday; bit windy but the sun was out and definitely no rain.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:15 am 

Most trains from MK to London were cancelled yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:58 am 

I was driving through Haversham when it happened. The road near Little Linford was chaos - totally covered in leaves with lots of branches down, so you had to slalom around them. But as soon as it started, it was finished, with a full rainbow on display.

Pretty awesome.