THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stand Up Comics redux
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:30 am 

Alby started a thread that was lost in the Great Fire of TCR, where we listed our favourite comedians, or just gave recommendations.

Two from me from this year's Fringe Festival:

Will Mars - great comic whose act focuses on how shit he is and how shit his life is. Very funny.

Eleanor Conway - utter filth and very, very funny. Sugar Daddies, cunnilingus, dildo masks and addiction. Strong stuff and she would upset a lot of people. She will never become a star of Mock the Week. She's very good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:31 pm 

Others to seek out:

Stewart Lee, obvs. I'm off to see him for the fourth (I think) time soon, at MK theatre. Tickets available, but only on sale to The Metropolitan Liberal Elite, naturally.

Mark Simmonds. Currently touring (but no dates near here, thus far). King of one liners. Superb timing. I've seen him 3 times (twice at the Fringe and once in the Red Dot bar). You'll laugh non stop.

Comics I'd have loved to have seen live (maybe this should have it's own thread):

Bill Hicks
Andy Kaufman (I've been watching tons of his stuff on the youtubes recently)
Tommy Cooper
Bob Monkhouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:35 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Stewart Lee, obvs. I'm off to see him for the fourth (I think) time soon, at MK theatre. Tickets available, but only on sale to The Metropolitan Liberal Elite, naturally.

Thank you for reminding me to buy tickets for this!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:40 pm 

I've seen Gary Delaney live several times and he's always great.

A completely different style is Dave Gorman. His shows are very carefully put together with his excellent power point, but stick with him and you'll see several seemingly random subjects all linked up by the end. Nothing political, just good light hearted entertainment and lots of laughs

I'll add my name to the list that would have loved to see Tommy Cooper. I'm just too young to remember him, but I've watched many shows and video clips of him, and the guy was a genius. The hat sketch, the bottle trick and "Spoon Jar Jar Spoon" are particular favourites that I've even managed to introduce my 6 year old daughter to

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:43 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
Frank Carson for me.
Always loved him - we booked him for a company event, and he was such a nice bloke.
I have never laughed so much before or since - I literally laughed so much that it hurt.
It's the way he told them!
RIP.

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:06 am 

Even though hes a complete Celtic bastard, I really like Kevin Bridges.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:32 pm 

I see Rob Newman is on at The Stables on Thursday. I'd love to go but have a prior outing planned. Loads of tickets left, which says a lot about the fickle nature of fame. 30 years ago (with David Baddiel) he was selling out Wembley Arena; now he can't sell out The Stables. Hal Cruttenden is on the week after and he's sold far more tickets. Hal fucking Cruttenden! If Hal C is more of a draw than Rob N is, then, as a species, we're fucked.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:07 am 

keyser soze wrote:
I see Rob Newman is on at The Stables on Thursday. I'd love to go but have a prior outing planned. Loads of tickets left, which says a lot about the fickle nature of fame. 30 years ago (with David Baddiel) he was selling out Wembley Arena; now he can't sell out The Stables. Hal Cruttenden is on the week after and he's sold far more tickets. Hal fucking Cruttenden! If Hal C is more of a draw than Rob N is, then, as a species, we're fucked.

Him and DB were very good - especially the 'professors' which was in a comedy class of it's own. Yup. Wembly. Didn't they arrive on some sort of motorised skateboard?

However I saw him at Stantonbury a year or so after they 'split up' and he really wasn't that good. Spend some time going on about the ending of them with no comedic point IIRC. Too much random rambling (yeah I know; 'pot calling kettle black Ali') and it didn't hang together or amuse much. Best bit was the 'Jarvis' character.
Disappointing but that was many many years ago - I believe he's sharpened up/focussed considerably. I'll look on utube. But I won't be going.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:46 am 

keyser soze wrote:

Saw him last night. He was on top form (much better than the covid delayed show last year at the Royal Festival Hall). There was even a heckler (not something comics have to deal with much, once moving off the comedy club circuit to the theatre circuit, a point SL made last night) and it was chilling how he dealt with him. Not with a "mad bantz" response but with silence and time.

Overall, the show is superbly structured to give you a comedy act but at the same time to show the workings. A bit like if a magician told you how he was performing the magic trick whilst he was doing it.

Not to everyone's taste of course, but if you like him, you really like him and he's great right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:28 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Saw him last night. He was on top form (much better than the covid delayed show last year at the Royal Festival Hall). There was even a heckler (not something comics have to deal with much, once moving off the comedy club circuit to the theatre circuit, a point SL made last night) and it was chilling how he dealt with him. Not with a "mad bantz" response but with silence and time.

Overall, the show is superbly structured to give you a comedy act but at the same time to show the workings. A bit like if a magician told you how he was performing the magic trick whilst he was doing it.

Not to everyone's taste of course, but if you like him, you really like him and he's great right now.

Seeing him tonight.